Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 8:48:41 AM EDT
hey alli just got my first gun, and i cleaned it for the first time yesterday. I lubed it up with rem oil, now my question is if rem oil is fine for lubrication casue i was reading the can and it said it was flamable. How could a gun lubricant be flamable, i mean wouldnt that be a bad thing when the gun goes off, or should i stop worrying becasue rem oil is just fine? plz excuse my noob question like i said first gun
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#1]
don't worry about it. about any oil is flammable.

i've excessively lubed guns and i've never been able to catch one on fire. not that i want to, but think it would be funny if it happened.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
don't worry about it. about any oil is flammable.

i've excessively lubed guns and i've never been able to catch one on fire. not that i want to, but think it would be funny if it happened.

cool thanks man
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#3]
This has honestly got to be the funniest question ever posted on this board.
I will respect you and give an answer of NO. I have seen guns pulled from a vat of oil, barrels cleared, and fired, splattering everyone nearby with oil.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#4]
i was just asking casue i have never seen oil in a spray can. I know oil is not going to ignite, i mean i do have  car with an engine and i do change the oil in it my self, hell i even rebuilded the bitch my self, so i know oil isnt exactly flamable, hell u could trow a match into a quart of oil and the match will go out; but like i said i have never seen or used oil in a spray can with a big lavel saying warning flamable, or warning content may explode. but iam glad i was able to intertain some people with my question. lol and i do apreciate the answers thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The flammable marking you saw probably referenced the propellant in the spray, not the oil itself.

Many propellants are quite flammable.  However, they essentially evaporate as the oil is being sprayed.

I’ve never seen the oil on a firearm actually catch fire, but I have seen really hot firearms “cook” off the oil, esp. on the barrel.

Nothing wrong with the question.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top