Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2002 6:02:18 AM EDT
Are these any good? Does anyone own one of these? Heard anything? I've heard about the frame problems. I've also heard that they are supposed to be solved. Most reviews of the weapon are positive, but I do not want something that will come apart on me.

With the current push here in Ohio to get CCW passed, it looks like it actually might go through this time. I'm looking for a good CCW pistol. Of all of the weapons I've looked at so far, the PT-145 is the smallest that fits my hand and carries a good amount of firepower (10+1 of .45). I looked at the Glock 36, but it is quite uncomfortable to me and only carries 6 rounds. I know there is a double-stack version, but that would be even more uncomfortable.

I guess what I'm getting at is I haven't yet found another gun that was as compact as the Taurus, had around the same capacity, and fit my hand well. I have found several larger pistols, but I would like to stay smaller and more consealable. I'd really like to know if the Taurus will fit the bill or if I should keep looking....

Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:06:07 AM EDT
[#1]
My experience was very bad.  Had to send it back to Taurus three times before it would actually go bang every time I pulled the trigger.  Before then I had about a 10% failure rate with various types of factory loads - didn't mention my reloads to them.  Symptom was a depression in the primer, but no ignition.  Once I was sure the problem was finally fixed (after about 300 test rds) I sold it.  Also, mine had the worst trigger I've ever experienced - very grainy and verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long.

I usually carry my Glock 27.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:21:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I actually just picked one of these up on Saturday. I havent had a chance to shoot it yet. But I was in the same boat as you were I looked at many different styles of guns before I came up with that was the one I wanted. It is also the one that I found fit my hand the best. I am left handed and the 145 has a ambi mag release you just have to switch it over that I really like.

So I am interested on some feed back of this gun because the next time I get to go shooting probably wont be until Saturday. But I will report back on it.

Also does anyone know if the PT145 will fit in holsters for the PT140?

Thanks
KC
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm a lefty too. Damn, another plus. I really want to like this gun, but I'm not sure if I should

Turban, I can't blaim you, sounds like a lemon. How long ago did you buy it? I haven't tried the trigger pull yet, but I really don't like the long pull on Glocks either, so that might be another strike aganst it....
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:58:42 AM EDT
[#4]
my frame broke twice, and then the trigger, i also had the problems with light primer strikes, taurus blamed it on the pmc/fed/win ammo that i used
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I fired one.  It had very poor ergonomics for me.  My thumb kept hitting the safety when I shot thus ejecting the magazine.  I own glocks berettas, 1911s and Walthers and have no problems.  

The gun just didn't fit me.  Plus I think it wouldn't fire occasionally.  Had to pull the trigger a second time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought my PT-145 this past Spring.  My serial number was well past those reported to be having probs.  I did not have any problem with the frame cracking.  If you've already got one, or are picking one up I really do wish you the best of luck.  One last thing, if you think the Glock trigger pull is long, just wait ...
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#7]
For what it's worth, Evan Marshall (of Stopping Power fame) loves his.

http://forums.stoppingpower.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=188&SearchTerms=pt145
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I bought my PT-145 this past Spring.  My serial number was well past those reported to be having probs.  I did not have any problem with the frame cracking.  If you've already got one, or are picking one up I really do wish you the best of luck.  One last thing, if you think the Glock trigger pull is long, just wait ...

Yeah, that's one of two things that stops me from buying a Glock. I'll have to see if I can find one at a range to see what it is like. I'm really starting to reconsider. There is a lot of reviews out there that say this is a nice gun, but I also see a lot of people who have had moderate to bad luck with them.

I HAS been the most likeable of compact pistols that I have actually held so far, but that really can't overcome poor performance.....
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Unfortunately, I got sucked in by the good reviews and how good it felt in my hand.  One last comment - Taurus' customer service sucked. they never would tell me what they fixed and gave me nothing for all my trouble.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 5:59:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Unfortunately, I got sucked in by the good reviews and how good it felt in my hand.  One last comment - Taurus' customer service sucked. they never would tell me what they fixed and gave me nothing for all my trouble.

Ok so bash Taurus all you want I have heard good and bad, but did they fix it and did you have any other problems with it after that?

KC
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok so bash Taurus all you want I have heard good and bad, but did they fix it and did you have any other problems with it after that?

KC

He had to send it in three times and they would not tell him what was wrong with it. I don't think he's being unreasonable. I wouldn't put up with my mechanic telling me my car was fixed without letting me know what was wrong with it. I would expect the same from my firearm's manufacturer. For what it's worth, I've heard Taurus' customer service is excellent. That doesn't mean they cannot and did not drop the ball with Turban.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I would still like to know why he sent it back. Because I read up above that he didnt have any problems with the frame so what did he have problems with? And was it the same problem all three times?

KC
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I sent it back three times for the same (original) problem.  It was intended to be my carry gun and did not fire reliably when I pulled the trigger.  A 10% FTF rate is something I didn't want to risk my life on.  As are all, it's a personal choice.  Some, like Evan Marshall, may be very happy with theirs.  I was not, didn't want to stake my life on some undisclosed repair, and did notify the buyer of the problems I had.  To further illustrate the personal choice aspect, the person who bought mine already had one and loved it. All I've tried to do here is report my experience.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info Turban. Sorry if I came off like an ass I didnt mean too. I was just trying to figure out what problems you were having. And yeah that I could understand being a little pissed about it when they dont tell you what they fixed with a FTF problem.

I have to go and qualify at the range this weekend so I am taking it with me to see how it shoots so I will report back Saturday afternoon with info.

KC
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 3:52:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Best of luck.  Some are very happy with theirs, and I hope you're in that group.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a PT111  9mm & it has been an extremely reliable pistol.  It shoots everything I run through it with no problems. I've probably put 1000rds through it.
The trigger is gawdawful heavy but that's my only complaint.
 Not as nice as my G19 but less expensive & smaller.
The  PT145 has better ergonomics but I too have read about the frame cracking.

FWIW
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I took the PT145 out today. Ran about 150 rounds through it. Ran some Winchester 185gr FMJ, Remington UMC 230gr. FMJ, and Some American something or other the Instructor was running through it because he said it was shity and wanted to get rid of it. So I figured it would be a good test for the gun.

We didnt have as much as one problem with it. No misfires, jams, safety issues, and no evident problems with the frame. It is very accurate. The instructor was able to get 5 shots in the same hole at 15 yards. I wasnt able to shoot that straight but I was able to keep them all with in the 9 ring and with in the head of the shiloute target at 15 yards. The recoil isnt anything the Glock or other small frame 45's wouldnt put out.

Some points I noticed from some of the other guns I shot today. The trigger on Glock 30 wasnt any different than the PT145. The 145 was a little grainier but I noticed it is starting to work out a little bit (we also dried fired our weapons about 300 times today). If you think the trigger pull on the PT145 or Glocks are long just wait until you try one of the First Kel-Tec P11 now that is a lllllloooooonnnnngggg Trigger pull. Which would make it a awesome pocket pistol. And the Recoil on the Kel-Tec P11 is wicked man that pistol really bucks. Now I think the Glocks, and Kel-Tecs werent any more accurate than the PT145 but equally as accurate. The fact that you can switch the mag release for left hand is awesome that really helped in qualifying today and in a SHTF situation it would probably help then too.

So I think all in all the PT145 is going to be a good carry pistol. I want to put about another 100 rounds through it though to be extra sure. So if you are going to get one I wish the best of luck and I hope your experiences are as good as mine have been.

KC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top