Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2002 3:10:39 PM EDT
I saw today a colt gunsite 1911. Its based on a new series 70 model with many upgrades.
It appears to be similar to the springfield TRP.
I have read about colts shoddy workmanship on recent 1911s but have also heard that they are getting much better.
I had been planning on getting a wilson CQB or a baer TRS but may not have that much to blow on a pistol. The clot gunsite and the springfield TRP are about the same price, around $1200
Any thoughts on either of these ??

Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi ya Spec, I've bought 3 Colt 1911s this yr and they have been the best Colts I've seen in along time.  maybe the best ever.
  didn't get a gunsite but my Commander XSE is about the best factory line pisto I've seen and has preformed perfect.  The cuts are so sharp I've had to slightly dehorn them.  
 They the 1911.com site for the best info onthis model.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 4:53:27 AM EDT
[#2]
While I am a Bushy/Springfield die hard (With some HK thrown in for spice), the Hartford Horsey company has been putting out decent 1911's recently. Couldnt say there was anything wrong with them. I still think you should get the TRP, but, the Baer or the Colt would be ok too.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Lemme tell ya, the new Colt's are lookin' sweet.  I had a really nice 1991 about six or so years ago and it was fantastic...unlike the piece of garbage Springfield Armory 1911 I bought this year.
 Tip : do NOT by a gun from a company that PURPOSELY builds them wrong.  Springfield puts a 9mm extractor in many of their 1911's.  In fact they will tell you that ALL of their 1911's have 9mm extractors in them...but a few of the guys on the board here and myself have taken a few measurements and that isn't true. It seems to be a catch as catch can issue, some 1911's ahave a 45 extractor and others have a 9mm extractor.  Do not by S.A.... it is not worth the risk.
 I based my 1911 purchase on the fact that my M1A's are really sweet guns...let me tell you .... I am the most disappointed guy on the planet right now.
Save yourself the pain and money buy a Kimber or a Colt.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:00:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Spectre, SA all the way. Colt close second.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I actually founs a shop here that had both so I could compare the two side by side.
Long story short, the colt is out.
The reasons are, springfield TRP $1080....colt GSP $1450
The colts slide to frame fit was sloppy, (TRP was tight and smooth) colt had more MIM parts and a plastic mainspring housing. Springfield had full length guide rod and novak night sights, colt does'nt. Springfield had front strap checkering, colt did'nt, springfield was nicely dehorned, no shap edges, colt was'nt too bad, but not as good. The finish on the TRP was flawless in armory cote, while the colt was polished blued and the finish on the slide was uneven in several places.
The overall fit and finish of the TRP was much better than the colt.
I know fit and finish can vary from time to time on all weapons, but it's pretty clear to me that for the money ($400 difference) and when you add up all the extras there are on the TRP that the colt does'nt have, it has made my choice very easy. A new TRP will be coming home with me very soon !!
Now...whether to get the stainless or armory cote.....
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Armory Kote!!! I had one in OD green Armory Kote. Absolutley great. I almost like it better than Black T. Was a sinch to clean. Very durable. Mine wasnt wearing at all. I intend on getting my current 3 all done in black Armory Kote as soon as I have funds. Told ya you'd like the SA.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 11:41:47 PM EDT
[#7]
 Mine is the O.D. armor coat...worked great after I put all the right parts in it.  New extractor ( of course ) ALL new springs, new slide stop, new rear novak ( the old one kept falling out....and yes, I did EVERYTHING ), etc, etc, etc.  I have run into about six more guys who have had the same issues.

Gotta admit, Colt is pricier but I'd still take a Colt over and S.A. any day of the week.  At least I know it will function and it has 45 caliber parts in it.

Ya know, actually, I think next time I WILL buy a Colt and send it to AWC for their Eclipse package.  Looks like an S.A. Armor coat...but it works.  Hee hee.

I used to be one of S.A.'s biggest fans....I am truly jealous of you Hawkeye, I wish like hell that I got your pistol....or that Springfield would have stood by their product 100% like they claim too.  Good customer service and fixing it right the first time would have made me just as happy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:26:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry about your bad luck with SA's service. I have had nothing but outstanding service from them. As for the parts, I posted on your other thread. I have also had me friend/dealer check his inventory, and he has yet to find anything out of order. FWIW.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#9]
This may seem like a small nit to pick, but the recent vintage Colts have a very lightly stamped serial number on the frame.

When I bought mine, the frame had been re-anodized and the S/N was very faint.  In my opinion, this practice limits the amount of refinishing (and metalwork) that can be performed on the frame without the hassle of getting the S/N recut deeper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top