Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 2:16:07 PM EDT
A friend and I were out shooting today, me with my GLOCK 19 and him with a S&W 640. He has just fired his five rounds when he attempted to eject the empties, only about 1/3 of one case ejected. The case had split all the way around leaving 2/3 of the brass in the chamber. We tried to tap it out from the front with a dowel, but it wouldn't budge.

The ammo was standard pressure Federal Hydrashock.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve had that happen a couple of times with reloaded .38 cases (that were obviously reloaded too many times).  It happens at the ring that is knurled around the case, which is a natural weak point.

Never seen it happen with new ammo.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#2]
.38s have powder in them?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:47:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I had that many years ago with Hansen (Prvi Partisan?) .357 Magnums in a Colt Python. After I fired, the cylinder was stuck. Really stuck! I could not open it, turn it and was quite puzzled. When I took the gun home and held it against the light, there was no light in the barrel / cylinder gap.

I tapped out the almost 1/4 inch long case mouth  It showed even rifling and was conical! Those were crimped and laquer sealed cartridges. I wondered if they glued the bullets in!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top