Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 10:41:09 AM EDT
In ’95 I purchased a NIB G19 for CC. After more than a decade of 9mm, I’ve decided that it is time to study the .45 caliber. The .45 will be only my second ever firearm purchase.

The .45 will be used at the range and backup home defense, the G19 for carry. Size is therefore not an issue.

After nearly a year of research and many rounds down-range, I’ve narrowed it down to the G21, USP .45 (decocker only) and the very nice looking 220 stainless slide.

At the range all three were accurate, reliable and comfortable to grip and control.

Also spent some time with the XD .45, but didn’t like the grip safety and the finish.

Quality 1911’s are way too expensive, so out of the question.

Tried many .45’s from Norinco, Taurus, High Point, Para, Auto, GAP, even tried a Barak … always went back to the above three though.

As I do not have the funds to purchase all three, I find that I am unable to make a decision.

Help me out, which would you choose. Let me know, if you can, why you chose a particular brand and please include any negative/positive experiences.

Should really be a poll but I have no idea how to set it up.

Finally, and with all due respect, any advice containing the words “Glock” and “kb” will be ignored.

Thank You.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Sig 220 would be my personal choice of the three.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#2]
a SA loaded or Kimber Custom II will be around or less than an new HK or SIG

i'd get a 1911

of your choices: probably the Glock
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1.  i find the usp series to be muzzle heavy and the large frame glocks are not at all comfortable in my hands, not that the smaller ones are either.  but the sigs are all very comfortable.  and the weight of the p220 helps to soak up some of the recoil.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#5]
My only comment is,  choose the one you would also feel comfortble CARRYING
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I must agree with the SIG 220. I own one and it is a DAMN FINE handgun!!!!
Buy the 220! You will not be sorry.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the USP better than the Glock.  I am also looking into a Sig.  The big advantage the USP has over the 220 is 13rds in the pistol.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Sigs shoot so beautifully though.  A common phrase is they're boringly accurate.

If you can do more with a couple rounds, you don't need the few extra ones.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Of the three, I would choose the Glock21.  My hands fit them well.  However, the Sig 220 is probably going to be easier to carry.  All are fine weapons, but the one that fits you the best, and carries well is the one to go with.  I've been down the USP road.  I eventually sold them and now most of my "large caliber" handguns are either 1911's or Glocks.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had great experiences with both Sig & HK.  I have approx. 20k through my P220 w/ 1 stove pipe.  I have a USPf .45 with approx 150k through it w/ 6 ftf.  All were due to after market magazines.  Both are reliable accurate guns.  Although the HK is a little big for CCW, it is still possible.  For a range/home defense gun, I would recommend the HK as it has a higher mag capacity.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry a Glock 19.  I also shoot it in GSSF competition.  And while I don't have a problem shooting 498's, (Haven't gotten the magic 500 yet) the polygonal rifling is only so accurate and will never be as accurate as traditional rifling.  That said, I would go with the Sig P220.  Nice pistol, accurate, Get stainless if you want it to keep loooking good as Sig's matte blue finish is notorious for wearing badly.  I'll be nice and accurate at the range.  I would also get the one with the rail so you can attatch a light for the house.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#12]
the sig 220 is ok, if you must chose a plastic gun then a HK USP.  If you want the best get a 1911 there is nothing wrong with Springfields or other non famous name brands.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:18:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+1.

The HK USP is a outstanding pistol, but I despised the trigger-pull on my USPf .45. Gotta say though, for CC, a USP Compact might suit you better than a 220.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:27:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Sig P220's are nice as are the USP's, I've never shot the G21 so I cant comment.
The USP has capacity over the 220 though, if thats a concern.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:15:51 AM EDT
[#15]
SIG IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:57:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I would stay away from the Glock. You already have a GLOCK 19 and it would be nice to get something new and different to play with.

That leaves the P220 and the HK USP. I have an HK USP .40 S&W and I really think it is a nice pistol. Your not going to have any problems with either pistol. Since you like both you cannot compare the grip. The only thing left to do is examine the features the USP has over the SIG. I do not think the SIG has a single advantage over the HK in terms of features.

1. Recoil Reduction System. This will help keep the kick down on the pistol.
2. Higher Capacity 12+1 Rounds
3. Rough Texturing on the entire grip frame, meaning that this thing will stay in your hands no matter what.
4. Ability to have the gun cocked and locked. SIG cannot do this, your first shot will be double action. You can have your USP cocked and locked, half cocked with or without safety, and hammer down with or without safety.
5. In addition to Variant One as described above there are NINE MORE!
6. HK has a safety is you would ever choose to use it.

SIG
1. Stainless Steel Finish makes cleanup easier and looks cool.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Sig.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top