Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 4:10:04 PM EDT
Any good?  I'm about to go buy one in an hour.  Small, black, .357, tiny-ass pistol.  Five shot, very small hammer.

Just curious.  It's kinda cheap, so I want to know if it's a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#1]
My model 85 served me well as a backup gun for a while, now it protects Mrs gorilla when I'm not home. It has stood up to many .38 +P JHPs with no problems whatsoever.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a 605. No problems here.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Just bought a used Taurus M85 (regular, blue, non-light frame) for $199 and put 100 rounds through it the other day with no problems. I bought a Galco Ankle Glove Holster for it and am very pleased with it as well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:51:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Acceptable.  Loose tolerances, though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:21:49 AM EDT
[#6]
mine is great ...been shot a lot .....and surprisingly ,very accurate..as far as shortys go
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:51:23 AM EDT
[#7]
i PERSONALLY LIKE TO STAY WITH SIMTH & WESSON OR RUGER, SMITH HAS THE GOOD TRIGGER BUT I THINK RUGER IS BETTER BUILT, OR STRONGER
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:16:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an older Model 85. Bought it in the late 80's.  Had to change the cheap wood grips to pachmayer's. (sp)  Its trigger will rival any Simth I have ever shot.  It's had probably 600 rounds through it.  I know for sure that at least 100 were +P's.  Never had a problem with it.  Wife keeps it in her night stand.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:41:26 AM EDT
[#9]
.357 Goodness

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Good fit & finish...all of the reliability you can expect from a decent revolver...about $200 and a lifetime warranty...

What's not to love???
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Welp, here she is.

She's a fun little gun to shoot.  Sure, the hand starts cramping up a bit after a while, but eh.  I'm actually very impressed so far.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a 617, a 605, and a 22lr 6 shot.  Unfortunately I had problems with all.  the 617 lost some parts after only shooting 20 rounds (screws fell out), Taurus sent me new parts very fast, no questions asked.  605 kept failing to fire, light striking primers no matter what ammo. I used so I got rid of it.  The 22lr had timing issues, I sent it back to Taurus and after a couple of months I got it back and it worked okay but had a very heavy trigger.  After that I lost confidence in Taurus revolvers.  Now, a hell of a lot of people really like them and have had no problems.  I would just keep an eye out for loose screws.  I hope you have better luck than I did it looks like a nice gun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My model 85 served me well as a backup gun for a while, now it protects Mrs gorilla when I'm not home. It has stood up to many .38 +P JHPs with no problems whatsoever.

That is real good to know. I picked up a M85 from the EE and really like it. smooth trigger pull on this one, but not sure if there was any tweaking done by the original owner.

Any issues you know of one should be aware of, if you have the time or know?

TIA
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Model 85 ultra light. Nice little gun that is very nice to carry..No problems.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#15]
mine is hammerless, have I misidentified it?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Taurus just came out with a 2.5" 44 mag built on the rageing bull frame but made of titanium.  I have to get my hands on one.  I was just about to have my Anaconda cut down to 2.5" but the Taurus will same it from an expensive chop job.

MadDog
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is real good to know. I picked up a M85 from the EE and really like it. smooth trigger pull on this one, but not sure if there was any tweaking done by the original owner.

Any issues you know of one should be aware of, if you have the time or know?

TIA

No problems that I have heard of or experienced.

Mine looks exactly like the one 2 or 3 posts up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#18]
My Model 85 stainless is my sock gun this weekend.  I trust my life to it.  Get some HKS speed loaders or something that pleases you for quick recharging.  

I bought mine used and it had a stripped screw.  Taurus fixed it very quickly, no questions asked.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My Model 85 stainless is my sock gun this weekend.  I trust my life to it.  Get some HKS speed loaders or something that pleases you for quick recharging.  

I bought mine used and it had a stripped screw.  Taurus fixed it very quickly, no questions asked.

I noticed my speedloaders are tight to fir into the cylender , anyone else had that issue?

thanks for the help so far.  this is a very helpful thread Darx  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top