Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 1:17:06 PM EDT
Anybody out there use these guys?  If so can you post a pic.  Thinking about having my Kimber Ultra carry done.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I had it done on Grizzly Win Mag looks like a 1911 on steriods designed to handle the 45Win Mag round.  It has an extended barrel, so Magna-Port EDMed the ports on the extended portion.  Normally they would EDM just behind the bush both the barrel and the slide.  Magna-Port charges extra for porting/EDMing 2 pieces of metal.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to have a S&W 686 that I had ported. I have shot Springfield 1911s that were ported. I'm not certain the 1911 nor the .45acp lends itself to porting due to the slower speed of the .45acp or your short barrel.

The down side to the porting is increased muzzle flash in low light shootng and/or a good way to burn yourself if you take a shot holding the gun close to your body (I can't remember what this is called!).

Porting is best served with a fast caliber (.357) & a bit of barrel length (4" & longer), IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Firestar Starvel finish in .45 ACP that I had Magna-Ported many years ago.
I was trying to reduce the recoil I had with this pistol.
Before I had it done, it was quite a handful to keep hold of.
The Magna-porting did reduce the recoil and made very nice to shoot, but it introduced new issues.
As mentioned above, you do not want to shoot it in dark/dim light conditions.
The front site, which I might add is a nite site on this pistol, disappears totally in the blast under these conditions.
There is no second shot under these conditions, your eyes spend way too much time trying to re-adjust from the blinding blast to get another shot off.
Not too good for a pistol I wanted to use as my CCW weapon.
The other thing I have noticed is that when I shoot non-jacketed bullets, I get these lead shavings that appear out the portings. The best thing I can compare them to is chocolate shavings on a dessert, only gray colored.
When I shot Winchester Silvertips, I got nice silver shavings.
I don't think I would do it again to an automatic pistol again.
It does reduce the recoil, but I lost the functionality I wanted out of this pistol.
Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I had my S&W Model 19 .357 4" Magna-ported and like it alot.  Compared to an unported Model 19 there is a noticeable reduction in time back on target.  Do keep your hands/body away from the top of the muzzle or you will get torched!  Lots of pressure from the .357
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a Firestar Starvel finish in .45 ACP that I had Magna-Ported many years ago.
I was trying to reduce the recoil I had with this pistol.
Before I had it done, it was quite a handful to keep hold of.
The Magna-porting did reduce the recoil and made very nice to shoot, but it introduced new issues.

Magna-porting doesn't reduce recoil, it reduces muzzle flip. As for handling issues, I shoot a SA Micro with a 3" barrel & alloy frame & I don't see any problem with .45acp recoil. Am I missing something???????????
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:26:40 AM EDT
[#6]
You are correct BobCole, I should have used muzzle flip, not recoil.
I currently carry a Colt Defender and I don't notice flip as much as I did when I first got the Firestar.
One other thing is that the Firestar has a much shorter grip than most other pistols I have owned.
I did notice that my grip was much different when I shot it. My three fingers rest around the grip and my pinky finger ends up hanging off the bottom.
I ended up getting two magazines with the extended floorplates so I had a place to put my pinky finger.

Either way, the fireball I get when I shoot the Firestar now is, well it is huge.
It shoots fine, just can't use it in dim lighting.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I used to have a S&W 686 that I had ported. I have shot Springfield 1911s that were ported. I'm not certain the 1911 nor the .45acp lends itself to porting due to the slower speed of the .45acp or your short barrel.

The down side to the porting is increased muzzle flash in low light shootng and/or a good way to burn yourself if you take a shot holding the gun close to your body (I can't remember what this is called!).

Porting is best served with a fast caliber (.357) & a bit of barrel length (4" & longer), IMO.

My .o2

+1, and not for a carry/defense gun because of the increase in noize and muzzle flash.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

My three fingers rest around the grip and my pinky finger ends up hanging off the bottom.

Personally, I refuse to own a semi I can't get all my fingers around the grip. It just feels too weird for me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#9]
My pimp daddy .50AE with quad ports.  Magnaport does great work.  I did not even have to refinish the chrome afterwards.  Recoil significantly reduced.  Muzzle flash very bad.  I guess there will always be a trade off.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My pimp daddy .50AE with quad ports.  Magnaport does great work.  I did not even have to refinish the chrome afterwards.  Recoil significantly reduced.  Muzzle flash very bad.  I guess there will always be a trade off.

img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-12/542530/deoncup.jpg

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:52:29 AM EDT
[#11]
That is one thing I noticed too, no cleanup work after the process is done.
The EDM process does leave very nice and clean cuts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top