Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 7:06:35 PM EDT
Good evening,

I have a Sig 228, this is my father's gun but will eventually be mine. The only thing I dont like about this handgun is the finish. While carrying it in the field my perspiration caused the slide to begin to rust almost instantly. I quickly wiped the slide down with some CLP when I got home and now all is well.

I was looking at Sig's website and noticed they offer an alternate finish called NITRON.

Here are my questions=

-How is this finish in comparison to the standard finish?
-Is it worth spending $120+$25 return shipping + my shipping for this service?
-If it is worth it can I send JUST the slide?
-Will they ship the slide/gun back to me or does it have to go through an FFL?

THANKS!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I hear Nitron is a good finish, but if I ever have send one of to be redone, I'll just have it NP3'd. I have yet to hear a single bad thing about it. Durable as they get, from my understanding.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#2]
SIG's Nitron is a good, durable finish.  But a step above that IMO is hard chrome.  It takes a lot more for hard chrome to wear than Nitron in my experience.  

Tripp Research will hard chrome the slide and Kobra coat the frame for a nice two-tone finish.

APW Cogan will hard chrome the slide and also hard chrome the frame over a nickel base.  He did my P239 carry piece last year and it looks fantastic!  I believe he also does a black chrome.  It's not quite as durable as hard chrome, but it has more of a "stealth" look for concealment.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the tips so far.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:01:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Regardless of what you decide to have done, you can ship your gun directly for the work and they can ship it directly back to you. You do *not* have to go through an FFL for shipping unless you are *transferring* ownership of the gun to someone else; if you're *not* transferring ownership, only having work done and then getting it right back, you can ship it directly to the factory or a custom shop who in turn can ship it *directly* back to you upon completion of the work.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:17:53 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 on hard chrome.  the first thing I thought of....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:51:17 AM EDT
[#6]
tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top