Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 10:44:58 PM EDT
Is the extra expense of tritium sights really worth it? I have never even thought of buying a gun with these mainly because of the added cost. I bought a used Sig P228 last year for a really good price that happened to have these sights on it. Only in the last week have I noticed how awesome these things are in low-light conditions.

I have been carrying my 228 while my Glock 23 is out of commision, but I haven't actually shot it in low light. Now I'm beginning to think I should have them on all my carry guns.

Fellow Arfcommers, please share your thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#1]
For a carry/self-defense, I would.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:41:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
For a carry/self-defense, I would.

+1
I just ordered a set of Trijicons today (for $85, total ). Part of the reason I went ahead and ordered night sights, is to get rid of that awful plastic front sight; it's the only part of my G19 that I don't like.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:04:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:24:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Heinie straight eights. You'll wonder how you got by until now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:42:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a completely differedt point of view.  I have night sights on five of my 1911's and one revolver (front only) only because all of them came with them already installed.  If your gun is a night stand self defense weapon, the Tritium inserts won't help you find your weapon in the dark unless it is stareing you in the face.  If the gun is turned to the side you don't see the tritium inserts.  If you have to use your gun for self defense and you rely just on the night sights you are making a grave mistake.  The most important thing in a defensive situation is to "identify" your target.  The best way to do that is with a flashlight and if you do light up your target then the glow of the Tritium will not be noticed.  True the Tritium lights up nicely in "low light" situations but then again you will probably be close enough to where you really won't take the time to get a "good" sight picture and rather shoot at center mass.  Even though my guns came with them already installed and I would prefer them without,  I wouldn't incur the expense to change them.  I am just leaving well enough alone.  I feel that if I slow down and take the time to really get a sharp picture the night sights would possible provide, "the fight will be over".

They don't work that well for me but that's JMHO,
MadDog
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is the extra expense of tritium sights really worth it? I have never even thought of buying a gun with these mainly because of the added cost. I bought a used Sig P228 last year for a really good price that happened to have these sights on it. Only in the last week have I noticed how awesome these things are in low-light conditions.

I have been carrying my 228 while my Glock 23 is out of commision, but I haven't actually shot it in low light. Now I'm beginning to think I should have them on all my carry guns.

Fellow Arfcommers, please share your thoughts.

I agree, they are going on all of my guns too.  I already put them on all my ARs, and half of my semi-handguns.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have a completely differedt point of view.  I have night sights on five of my 1911's and one revolver (front only) only because all of them came with them already installed.  If your gun is a night stand self defense weapon, the Tritium inserts won't help you find your weapon in the dark unless it is stareing you in the face.  If the gun is turned to the side you don't see the tritium inserts.  If you have to use your gun for self defense and you rely just on the night sights you are making a grave mistake.  The most important thing in a defensive situation is to "identify" your target.  The best way to do that is with a flashlight and if you do light up your target then the glow of the Tritium will not be noticed.  True the Tritium lights up nicely in "low light" situations but then again you will probably be close enough to where you really won't take the time to get a "good" sight picture and rather shoot at center mass.  Even though my guns came with them already installed and I would prefer them without,  I wouldn't incur the expense to change them.  I am just leaving well enough alone.  I feel that if I slow down and take the time to really get a sharp picture the night sights would possible provide, "the fight will be over".

They don't work that well for me but that's JMHO,
MadDog

Good points. I keep a Surefire G2 on my nightstand right beside whatever weapon I am using at the time. I also have another G2 that I keep in my truck.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Surefires or Surefire clones are the greatest.  I keep an E2D on my night stand, an X200B on my FN Five-seveN 5.7x28 which is my night stand SHTF gun, an E1e in my truck, a Surefire Scout on my 16" Bushy, and a Streamlight M3X on my 7.5" SBR.

Can you tell I like Surefire?
MadDog
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got some HoMeBoY Nyte Sytes on a Kahr PM40 about a month ago, my first night sights ever.  They are awesome!! I don't know why I didn't get some for my other guns before.  Yeah having a flashlight is nice but unfortunately I don't always carry one with me if you know what I mean.  I've been testing out "normal" sights now in a lot of different lighting conditions and it's surprising at what light levels allow you to see the target but make in nearly impossible to see the sights.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I respectfully disagree w/ Maddog on this one.

My Sigs have Tritium sights and they are bright enough to see the "glow" even if they are oriented away from me in my little pistol safe. They do make a difference in low light/ no light shooting.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Night sights allow you to shoot without white light, say if you've identified the threat but dont want to give away your position.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top