Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 1:19:42 PM EDT
First off let me say I do not want to talk about Glock, HK, SIG, Beretta, SA, or any other commonly brought up great pistol maker. I already own a Beretta 96 Vertec w/M6 and a .40 S&W HK USP Fullsize, and love them both greatly. However, I am in the mood for a 1911 .45 ACP pistol and have given alot of thought about Kimber's offerings.

I was browsing through some of their offering and came across the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II. I really like the looks of the pistol but I would like to know if I could get this same pistol in a version WITHOUT the rail? If so what would the pistol be.

I also noticed the Kimber Warrior looked very nice. I was wondering what the different is between the Warrior and a TLE/RL II?

Finally, my only experience with a 1911 is SA Mil-Spec model in .45 ACP. I like the pistol alot and the trigger pull of a 1911 beats any other semi auto trigger aside from the Luger. However, the pistol didn't function 100% out of the box even after the break in period. So it had to be shipped back to SA to be fixed. After that trip the gun has fired everything perfectly just as any gun should. What worries me about the 1911 design is that most of the guns seem to come out of the box without working correctly. All across the net I have heard stories of people buyin the $1,000 Warrior and it doesn't function fine. What is Kimber's customer service like, since I am sure I will be needing it? Thanks for the help everyone!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't go wrong with either, but springfields usually cost less. A loaded model springfield is one of the best deals around, imo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Kimber Ten II Pro Carry..  I like it a lot, never had any malfunctions even though I read that there may be some within the break in period.  

One thing with the Kimbers, they will rust faster than any gun I have ever owned.  You have to give them a little extra TLC.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the internal extractor Kimbers.  Call me old school.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:14:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Look around for a 25th Anniversary Model - they are still available with some looking.  They are Series I pistols without the external extractor and firing pin interlock grip safety thing.  They are a very good starting point for customization.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought my first Kimber 3 weeks ago and was a little worried about the external extractors on the new Kimbers. It is was a new in the box Custom TLE II without the rail. The gun was fitted really well and has a smooth trigger pull. I finally got to shoot it this weekend and with 350 rounds through the tube I had 1FTE and it was with the magazine that came with the pistol. Very accurate I was very happy.

The Custom TLE II can be purchased with or without the rail. The Custom TLE II did cost me $100 more than a regular TLE II however I got night sites and checkering on the front of the grip. The problems with feeding I have had was magazine related and this can be fixed with quality magazines such as Wilson Combats.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I do not know what the model number is but I looked at a kimber that had a 4" or so barrel and a rail on it. If I had the $895 I would have walked out of the store with it.

I like these too.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/669278331171.html

http://www.impactguns.com/store/669278320601.html

Just my two cents. I own SAs
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my Pro Carry II, Stainless Steel.
The most accurate out-of-the-box, production pistol I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#9]
My Kimber Tactical Custom II has worked for me like Kimber only wishes all their guns did.

Absolutely accurate, feeds everything I've tried, and no feeding problems with even the factory mag.  No broken MIM parts yet either.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
First off let me say I do not want to talk about Glock, HK, SIG, Beretta, SA, or any other commonly brought up great pistol maker. I already own a Beretta 96 Vertec w/M6 and a .40 S&W HK USP Fullsize, and love them both greatly. However, I am in the mood for a 1911 .45 ACP pistol and have given alot of thought about Kimber's offerings.

I was browsing through some of their offering and came across the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II. I really like the looks of the pistol but I would like to know if I could get this same pistol in a version WITHOUT the rail? If so what would the pistol be.

I also noticed the Kimber Warrior looked very nice. I was wondering what the different is between the Warrior and a TLE/RL II?

Finally, my only experience with a 1911 is SA Mil-Spec model in .45 ACP. I like the pistol alot and the trigger pull of a 1911 beats any other semi auto trigger aside from the Luger. However, the pistol didn't function 100% out of the box even after the break in period. So it had to be shipped back to SA to be fixed. After that trip the gun has fired everything perfectly just as any gun should. What worries me about the 1911 design is that most of the guns seem to come out of the box without working correctly. All across the net I have heard stories of people buyin the $1,000 Warrior and it doesn't function fine. What is Kimber's customer service like, since I am sure I will be needing it? Thanks for the help everyone!

if you do buy a kimber and it doesn't shoot right, when you call them they will tell you "to put at least 500 rounds through the gun and see if you still experience those problems". For many most problems go away. But if you still have problems then Kimber will help you make arrangements to get the gun back to them for a repair or replacement.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:39:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:43:12 AM EDT
[#12]
5 Kimbers = happy owner
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Kimber Warrior and find it to be a good handgun. It performs well, is well made, and feels good in my hand. I think all of Kimber's products are good. I prefer full size (5" barrell) but others are good too. Can't go wrong with Kimber.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Personally, If I were to buy another Kimber, I would get the Warrior. I have heard enough complaints about the series II safeties and I figure the less complexity, the greater the reliability. I have a 3" Stainless ultra carry. Besides the obvious ammo issues with the loss of velocity due to the 3" barrel, I had a few magazine issues initially. I sent the gun back to Kimber and they fixed it free of charge. A friend recently purchased the TLE/II with the rail and his works great with the WilsonCombat mags but still has difficulties with any split  follower magazines. I have a colt mag for my ultra Carry with the split follower and it is the only mag that doesn't feed reliably. I have also heard some complaints about the finish on the Kimbers wearing off really quickly, but since mine is stainless, I haven't had any problems myself.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:47:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#17]

I have a Kimber Custom II that I paid $450.00 for. It didn't have more than fifty rounds through her. Not a scratch on her. Already had a trigger job to and came with internal extractor. Not a single jam. I love this gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top