Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 12:57:52 AM EDT
I recently aquired a Kimber Ultra Carry CDP for CC in a Versa Max 2 & belt. I've carried the gun in multiple positions for the past two days. The grip just sticks out too far and is too wide for me to properly conceal. Also anytime I bend down my shirt will get "caught" on the handle.

But worst of all is when I'm in the drivers seat. The magwell jams itself into either my back or the seat. Very uncomfortable. So I am now looking at a smaller concealed carry piece.

The only thing that comes to mind would be the Sig p232, or maybe a small Glock. But how much smaller/thinner are these pistols going to be versus my Ultra Carry?

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:00:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag. I have one. Haven't concealed it yet.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry mine in an cheap Ambi IWB at the 5:00 oclock postion with no problems.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#5]
When carrying IWB, I don't bend forward from the waist.  There's no faster way to let your gun butt print than that.

If possible, I bend "into the gun."   If my gun's on the right hip, I bend toward the right.  With a slight knee flex, it's no problem at all to keep the gun concealed.    This takes care of it 90% of the time.  If I really need to get down on the floor, I'll do a full squat, preferably with my gun facing a wall or whatever.

Another trick that will help minimize the appearance of a gun is to wear a dark shirt, preferably a solid color.  Lightly colored and patterned shirts will tend to make the presence of a bulge much more noticeable.

Odds are you won't really decrease your problem going to a P232.  Any IWB gun is going to have similar issues, albeit to a lesser extent.  You will likely have to go to a pocket gun to make that problem go away.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies!!

I've tried carrying the gun at 2, 2:30, 3, 3:30, 4, and 5 o'clock. My main concern is comfort in the drivers seat. I drive 100 miles per day and am in & out of the car very frequently.

I understand wearing a pistol isn't going to be the most comfortable thing in the world, but there is a point between what is bearable and what is not. If I am in my Jeep I can sit fine with the gun at 3 o’clock or 3:30. However I just recently bought a BMW 318is daily driver for gas mileage. The car has sport seats which contour to your body more than those in the jeep, which makes the pistol really uncomfortable.

I will give this set up another week and see how it does.  

One thing though, which certainly works against me. I am skinny with a small frame. 5'10 140lbs, maybe less.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're spending a lot of time in the car, it seems a paddle holster may be a better fit for you.  They are easy to put on and take off.  You will sacrifice some concealability but it sounds like that's the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless you go with a single stack 9mm like the H&K P7, there is not much that is slimer than a 1911. You may want to look into a paddle cross draw holster for driving. I'm a big guy with a small Acura and have the same problem you have with the sport seats. It's easy to slip the holster on and off while I'm in the car, and as long as I'm even remotly careful no one can see me moving the gun to my other holster. It dosen't work for errand running, but long drives are alot more comfotrtable now.                                    
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry a 1911 full size at approx. 3 or 4 o'clock, IWB, no broblem, other than I do ajust it when I get in my vehicle, but you just get used to little shit like that.
I've used a Clip-Draw, Uncle Mikes soft IWB, Uncle Mikes Kydex IWB. None of those should cost more than $15.
BTW, I'm 6" 300LBS.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Or just take the pistol out of the holster while you are driving.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#11]
You need to go get a stainless S&W .38 with a boot grip. Tiny, and potent. Keep the Kimber for the Jeep cary.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#12]
How does this model Kimber compare to the Springfield Micro Compact? 3" barrel, etc.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I pulled the grips and studs off my CAP and replaced them with skate board tape.
The frame was narrower than the slide.  

Damn dude.  The gun is a 1911.  What do you want?  It’s going to be ½” inch wide.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I was in the same boat.  No matter what you do, you can't conceal a .45 like you're satisfied.  Sound familiar.  I drive a bucket seat sports car too and have the same problem with the grip jabbing.

Kahr PM9 was the answer to my prayers.   I also own a Sig 232 and bought it for a small gun.  It's actually huge compared to the PM9.  Should have gotten the Kahr K9 instead of the Sig.  Although the Sig 232 shoots very well.   Easy to shoot FAST and extremely accurate.  Very ergonomic feel to it.

If you really want to know comfort, just slip the PM9 bandit style (holsterless) into your belted waistband.  It truly disappears and you don't feel it.
IWB holster for safety, but it adds bulk.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies!!

I've tried carrying the gun at 2, 2:30, 3, 3:30, 4, and 5 o'clock. My main concern is comfort in the drivers seat. I drive 100 miles per day and am in & out of the car very frequently.

I understand wearing a pistol isn't going to be the most comfortable thing in the world, but there is a point between what is bearable and what is not. If I am in my Jeep I can sit fine with the gun at 3 o’clock or 3:30. However I just recently bought a BMW 318is daily driver for gas mileage. The car has sport seats which contour to your body more than those in the jeep, which makes the pistol really uncomfortable.

I will give this set up another week and see how it does.  

One thing though, which certainly works against me. I am skinny with a small frame. 5'10 140lbs, maybe less.

Like I said I carry my Ultra-Carry at 05:00 oclock in an IWB, when I carry it I usually wear a belt with a Galco Double mag pouch with a t-shirt and a light button (unbuttoned) down cover shirt.  Even when I drive a lot I have found this to be a comfortable set up as long as I don't since my belt up too tight.

As others have observed if I bend at the waste the grip and the mags will print on the cover shirt but I have knees so that is not generally a problem.  Even if the gun or mags imprint all the observer see's is a bump in your shirt.  Could be a pager, cell phone, Blackberry or any number of other items.  

Last year I attended a five day IBM/UX class here in AZ.  Amazingly the building was not posted with "No Firearms" signs.  I carried my Kimber with the spare mags every day and no one noticed.

The Sig P232 is not signifigantly smaller than the Kimber Ultra-Carry, they are narrower but longer and I don't reccoment .380 as a primary carry.  It beats foul language and throwing rocks but that is about it.  The compact Glocks are actually wider than the Ultra-Carry, very unconfortable for IWB.  Paddle holster put the gun and the holster outside the pant increasing the print factor.

AJohnston posted some good advice.  Dress around the gun.

And Rocky9_5's suggestion of removing the gun from the holster while driving is a valid option as well.

I also own a S&W Airweight that I carry in the same way as my Kimber UC, in spite of the cylinder it is a bit less intrusive but I hate the boot grips.  I have the standard Uncle Mikes J-Frame grip on mine.

If you find that your Kimber Ultra-Carry is still just to big for you, try a Karh Arms or Keltec .40 S&W model.

I have had my CCW for almost 12 years.  About ten years ago I started working PT and at times FT for a friend of mine that owns a gunshop.  My first CCW gun was a Sig P230, my second was a Taurus Model85 .38 and my third was Colt 1991 Commander and for a while I tried to carry a Sig P226 in a shoulder holster.

After I started working at my friends shop I was exposed to a number of other options.  I got to play around, I got to interact with a much broader range of other CCW holders.  My options were virtually unlimited at that point.  Eventually I decided on purchasing and carrying the Stainless Kimber Ultra-Carry .45 with night sights and Hogue grips.  Later I purchase a S7W Model 37 for light carry conditions.  See below.

I'm 5'9", 160 with a nice toolshed.

I have to admit that in my personal experience you are the only person I have ever heard of that claimed that the Kimber Ultra-Carry or a similar model from another manufacturer was too big or the grip is too wide.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I have to admit that in my personal experience you are the only person I have ever heard of that claimed that the Kimber Ultra-Carry or a similar model from another manufacturer was too big or the grip is too wide.

The grip on the ultra carry could be 1/2" shorter and I could still have all of my fingers on it. The grip isn't too wide for my hand, but it's pretty wide for my body to conceal appropriately. There is an aftermarket magwell on this pistol, which I believe contributes to some of the "wideness" on this pistol. Perhaps I will have it removed and go from there.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#18]
ankle carry is the best for someone in a car alot. easily accessible. their are other ways to carry then just IWB. might want to better explore some of the other options out there to find something more comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a Kimber UC II. It was easy and comfortable to conceal. I got rid of it and now I have a glock 19.

The Kimber was super easy to conceal. Maybe you just need a better holster.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I have an ultra carry and where I live it is difficult to conceal easily due to hot weather 9 months a year and my short body frame. I have found that a properly sized CCW fanny pack works great if you take the time to practice with it. You might have problems with this method if you keep the extended magwell.  Could make it catch on the pack as it opens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top