Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2002 8:18:47 PM EDT
What's the general train of thought on the surlpus P38's that are being sold?

Any good OR run far away screaming and being glad I kept my money?
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I got one in last week from Lew Horton.  It was advertised as new, and as far as I could tell it was.  The parkerized finish had never even been oiled as far as I could tell.  So, a quik disassembly, CLP the internal contact points, a nice rubdown of the exterior, and off to the range, where it promptly digested 100 rounds of mixed 9mm ammo.  Accuracy was good, reliability perfect.  This is the lightweight version (officially called the P1) and kicks a wee bit, but nothing unreasonable.  The DA pull is heavy, as with all guns using that particular Walther design, and was pretty gritty to start with, but after a few hundred dry-fire pulls, it is smoothing out.  The new ones are suggested retailing at approx. $340, but the dealer price is a flat $250.  So, if you have a good dealer relationship, you can get into a quality made, dependable, new 9mm for under $300.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm afraid I can't speak specifically for the current crop of P38s being offered, but I can offer some general comments.

My P38 has probably the worst DA pull of any pistol I've shot; the SA pull is nothing to write home about either.  It isn't particularly accurate or reliable.  The decocker shouldn't be fully trusted to lower the hammer unassisted.  The "loaded chamber" indicator is a sharp little pin that sticks out of the rear of the slide, in just the wrong place for those of us who have the habit of tapping the rear of the slide with the palm of the hand to seat uncooperative rounds.  It has the typical European butt-mounted mag release, and the usual German WWII barleycorn sights.

I own quite a few C&R pistols and I don't really think the P38 has many redeeming qualities.  About all you can say for it is that it inspired better designs.  If this one hadn't been given to me by my Dad, I would have sold it long ago.

But if you want one, you want one, and nothing else will do until you get one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want the real thing, history included, add a few bucks and hit the local gunshows. If you want a P-38 type postwar for plinkin' on the cheap, I think they would work for that purpose. The original Nazi wartime guns don't recoil as hard due to the steel frame. If you are thinking of a defensive piece, they were not intended to fire hollowpoints and by and large they don't. Liked or disliked, still a classic in my book.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 4:19:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I just bought one also for $329 at a gunshow. The SA trigger is wonderful, in fact I went thru all of his stock to pick the best trigger. The biggest reason I wanted it was to complement my Luger.

IMO I can't imagine the alloy frame making the gun recoil any more, especially in 9mm. The Sig, Beretta, etc. have had them for years also.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#6]
All other things being equal, lighter gun weight equals greater recoil.  It's not objectionable, but it is more than with the steel frame.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

IMO I can't imagine the alloy frame making the gun recoil any more, especially in 9mm. The Sig, Beretta, etc. have had them for years also.

I have a 5906,(SS frame) and a 5903, (aluminum frame) and can really tell them apart. While not objectionable at all with most of the weight on top, I find I get quicker follow up shots with the heavier gun in identical configurations. And about the Sig, they just introduced a stainless framed model, now the Sig followers can compare apples to apples too.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#8]
While there's no doubt a lighter frame will have a bit increased felt recoil, there's also no doubt that a 9mm has (IMO) minimal recoil. Using generic 9mm loads in 115gr size I find them to be less felt recoil than 38spl. But of course everyone has their own perspectives.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 4:52:02 AM EDT
[#9]
There are two of the Walthers being sold right now. The P-1 (some places call it a P-38) is the alloy framed post war gun and it's selling for about $250.00. At that price it's a good buy. The P-38's being sold today will have the all steel frame. They're going for about double what the P-1's sell for. Beyond the frame differences, the P-38 will be a War gun and have collectors value as well.

I have an old, much shot and used P-38 that was made in 1941. It's still as tight as the day it was made and fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Centerfire Systems has the P-38/P-1 on for $199.97 in the circular I just received.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top