Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I took the class in NC with my wife a few years ago. One guy in the class was about 80, and brought a gorgeous pre-war S&W and a box of military surplus .38 Special ammo to qual with. He shot better than most of the other students.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:32:34 AM EDT
[#2]
My Inglis Hi Power.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#3]
When I took mine circa 2008, had several people who were using guns that they had inherited it were borrowing from family members.

One young girl asked if she could borrow someone's gun at the range and just bring her own ammuntion. When instructor asked her why she was taking class with no gun, she said her stepfather offered to let her use his S&W 500 but when she went to buy ammunition couldn't find anyone local that had it

Another was an older lady who brought her father's Colt Detective Special. She couldn't listen to instructions very well, blazed through two boxes of ammunition instead of one cause she was firing twice for every qual shot instead of once

The one I thought was funniest was an older guy who came out to the range wearing shooting glasses, shooting vest, and shooting gloves.....with an absolutely filthy Beretta 92F with promag magazines and cheap steel ammunition. Jammed almost every other shoot. I offered to do a quick clean on it and let him shoot some of my ammunition but he just sneered at me and said he had more time with guns than I was old (I had recently just turned 21). I said ok, went back to shooting out center mass in my target. He eventually was taking off range by instructor who made him go clean it and buy some better ammunition
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My grandpa brought over an old Lorcin .25 to practice with, with the intention of using it for the class...
I bought him a Shield 9....
View Quote
An older couple shooting the qual next to me launched their brand new Lorcin slide down range on the first shot.  I had two pistols with me and gave them one to use that day.  

I told them "do you think motorcycle riders buy cheap helmets?"  
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Had a lady bring a North American arms 22. we found here something else to shoot.
View Quote
Same here.  The instructor gave here enough time to go buy a box of .38 special so she could share the gun her friend had brought.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Back in mid '90's when Texas first opened up CHL's I was in one of the early classes.
The shooting quals were huge groups of people.
I mean to tell you all manner of old iron came out into the daylight. Many of those guns hadn't been fired in years. If ever.
Llama's, Lugers, Italian stuff, Gramps 1911, break top revolvers, etc.
One old man used a brand new nickel plated S&W Model 27 with the 8 3/8" barrel. I watched him take it out of the blue felt lined wood case! He didn't even know how to load it.
Probably the oddest I saw used was a British Webley MkIV revolver. The knucklehead shooting it fucked it up and jammed it using .45acp.
This caused the entire line to cease fire.
The extractor had risen up over the case and snapped back down causing the gun to be unable to close and reset the extractor.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I was @ the range yesterday, and a fella was trying to feed .38" S&W into a .38" Special revolver.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Seeing people shoot at a CCW qual, really makes me wonder why they bother to have quals at all.  Some people should just not carry....more a liability to everyone but the bad guy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  Seeing people shoot at a CCW qual, really makes me wonder why they bother to have quals at all.  Some people should just not carry....more a liability to everyone but the bad guy.
View Quote
Can you cite an otherwise "good shoot" by a licensed CHL holder in which the miscreant was not hit by the CHL holder but did unfortunately hit innocents?

I remember in the 90's, 3 FWPD officers fired 17-19 shots @ a miscreant btwn the 3 of them - the miscreant was slightly wounded by a single round.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In Virginia you do not have to actually fire a single shot to obtain a Concealed handgun permit.

A hunter safety course is all the safety instruction you need.
View Quote
Same here.  I had mine when I was 14 and that was on record for me to get my CCW.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My Inglis Hi Power.
View Quote
Yea... but did you bring the shoulder stock?
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#12]
In New Mexico they have some silly rules about what you are allowed to carry versus what you 'qualify' with.  And the rules vary for revolvers and semi's.  And you must shoot both if you want to carry both.  (yea.. I know)  So I shot the semi with a 1911 and the revolver running .357 because I don't have anything bigger in a revolver.  I then loaned them to the rest of the class when the rules were explained and if they qualified with something less, that's all they were legal to carry.  Anti gun types hate concealed carry.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#13]
.357 desert eagle, took mine with the instructor's. He had one out to show the differences between various size guns, compared a .357 snubbie to a .357 DE...  So for qual he would either let you use your own gun(smith and Wesson sigma 9mm , I ddnt know how bad it was when I bought it), or use his revolver(Taurus tracker with .38's), but I asked him if I could use the .357 desert eagle and he laughed and said sure. so first shot the bolt broke somehow and stuck. only time I ever fired one. finished the qual with the tracker, was stupid easy. but I wanted to use the pimp gun..
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#14]
ruger mark 1 with a swede holster with fringe and a strap he had to button every time he reholstered;  of course he covered his hand every time to hold the holster open  
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife took her CHL course from Jan Morgan (of no Muslims at my range fame). BTW, she is running for Governor of Arkansas next year.

Everyone in the class shot the same Buckmark 22 range rental gun.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
.357 desert eagle, took mine with the instructor's. He had one out to show the differences between various size guns, compared a .357 snubbie to a .357 DE...  So for qual he would either let you use your own gun(smith and Wesson sigma 9mm , I ddnt know how bad it was when I bought it), or use his revolver(Taurus tracker with .38's), but I asked him if I could use the .357 desert eagle and he laughed and said sure. so first shot the bolt broke somehow and stuck. only time I ever fired one. finished the qual with the tracker, was stupid easy. but I wanted to use the pimp gun..
View Quote
I've had no issues with my .357 Tracker other than the soft factory grip splitting after a couple years of warm loads.
Replaced it with a Hogue.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I would have asked him where he got his mall ninja law degree from.
View Quote
I would have asked him why he felt the need to leave the house acting like a retard. I like to be an asshole to people that ask and say stupid shit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

An infringement.
View Quote
yes sir it is. When I got my GA permit I payed 90 bucks and waited 2 weeks. That right there seemed like overkill to me
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Some may disagree with me, but I think you should have to qualify with the firearm and the ammo you intend to carry.

Qualifying with a .22 and then carrying a .357 mag is the same sort of stupidity that the cops used to do when they would qualify with mid range wadcutter .38 spl yet carry full house .357 mag on the street.

Whether you agree or not, heck we have to pass a written and practical test to get a drivers license, the idea of a qualification is to prove that you can do what is required.

And let's face it, most qualifications consist of putting a few rounds down range and hitting a rather large target.  They don't test any of the myriad of other skills one should have learned to safely and effectively employ a firearm.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was @ the range yesterday, and a fella was trying to feed .38" S&W into a .38" Special revolver.
View Quote
You know, this reminds me that I have to try this again.

There was another thread on the subject, and I swore that I was able to load the Magtech 38 S&W into a 642.  The ammo was sold specifically at the range for those wanting less recoil out of snub nose guns.

Ill check when I go home tonight.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#21]
You have some .38 Colt ammo.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Last time I had to shoot a qual, I used my Romanian TTC in 7.62x25 for shitz and giggles. It was the ugliest and most scratched up gun that was on the line that day, the instructor and other guys actually asked me if the thing will even work.

I proceeded to stack the rounds on top of each other while everyone else target started to look like it was being shot by a shotgun. That wiped the smirk off everyone's faces in short order. (It was my 3rd renewal - and I didn't want to use my Glock 26 that was on my hip and out of view).
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Some may disagree with me, but I think you should have to qualify with the firearm and the ammo you intend to carry.

Qualifying with a .22 and then carrying a .357 mag is the same sort of stupidity that the cops used to do when they would qualify with mid range wadcutter .38 spl yet carry full house .357 mag on the street.

Whether you agree or not, heck we have to pass a written and practical test to get a drivers license, the idea of a qualification is to prove that you can do what is required.

And let's face it, most qualifications consist of putting a few rounds down range and hitting a rather large target.  They don't test any of the myriad of other skills one should have learned to safely and effectively employ a firearm.
View Quote
We seem to get along just fine in Virginia without anything untoward happening.

And Concealed Handgun Permits are around 150,000 last time I heard a number from the State Police.

They maintain the statewide list.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Forgot to add that "Expert" (not the instructor) said to NEVER shoot a PERFECT score, because then you will be sued for sure if you shoot the guy, instead of shooting the gun out of his hands...  

Good Times with the "Professional" indeed.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Forgot to add that "Expert" (not the instructor) said to NEVER shoot a PERFECT score, because then you will be sued for sure if you shoot the guy, instead of shooting the gun out of his hands...  

Good Times with the "Professional" indeed.  
View Quote
We shot a 22/45, and I put every round in the X except for one flier that went in sideways in the 8 ring.
Blaser aluminum, no idea how it keyholed that bad at 10yd...
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You have some .38 Colt ammo.
View Quote
I just got home, and checked.  Currently I have PPU 38 s&w, which does not chamber in any 38 special.

I do remember though, Magtech 38 S&W that did in fact chamber and fire in my 642.

Magtech doesn't appear to load 38 Colt.  My range no longer has Magtech 38 S&W, maybe because of the lawyers, but they did sell it one time as an alternative to 148 gr wadcutters for those wanting less recoil in light guns,.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Not really interesting but a guy and his wife/gf took a class with me and the guy had a .40 hipoint. It was giving him all types of issues. He ended up finished the class using the instructors Glock. At one point the instructor walked over to me with a loaded mag from the hipoint and asked how something like this could happen. There was a round in the mag facing down.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#28]
An ~100 year old granny with a 22 revolver that was older than her. Considering that they told her she could not qualify with a 22, and she ended up qualifying with it (I was ready to start filming as I was about to see "granny whoop some ass"). I did not venture in trying to figure out what she was shooting with.

Edt: Then to than - fk autocorrect -
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Watched a guy shoot his qual with a Walther P.38...
View Quote
I can top that.

I used my Luger when I qualified.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#30]
First qual had one man use his 38 caliber revolver he jumped in Normandy with(82nd airborne). He shot like was shooting in a contest. Single handed and score perfect.
Me, a rattle trap 1911. Shot 230 out of 250 points. Requaled five years later with a Hk 45 compact. Shot perfect.

Old lady at the requal used a 1920's vintage ivers Johnson  38. Shot 245 out of 250.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#31]
What in the hell is a CCW qual? I never had to do that shit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:00:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nonsense; we somehow manage to do just fine without it. It accomplishes nothing except gives the State more control over you. Shall not be infringed 
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
When we pushed through shall issue in Virginia we looked at all the excuses that had been used to deny permits.

"Training" was a not uncommon one.

So we put the minimum in the law based on safety.

You would be a fool to carry a gun you had not practiced with and new how to operate.

But would not likely be a danger to anyone else.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
When we pushed through shall issue in Virginia we looked at all the excuses that had been used to deny permits.

You would be a fool to carry a gun you had not practiced with and new how to operate.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I started CCW in Colorado right after Columbine. (My application was coincidental to the event.) I didn't have to qualify there, either.

I came to Virginia in 2009. No qualification for that one either. States, being what they are, can specify how a person qualifies for a permit, but keep in mind that not every citizen can afford continual training with their firearm. With self-defense being a right and moral obligation, being armed is the sole requirement.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Remember even 90 yo woman have the right to self defense.

CD
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just curious as to some of the stories out there.

Seen a few 380's, lots of 9's, a few 40's and I found out recently my 1911 45 was the first one the instructor had seen in a year or two.   Most of my class had 9 and below and a bunch of 22's.
View Quote

I used a Glock 29 for mine.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 1:40:32 AM EDT
[#37]
When AZ first allowed CCW you had to shoot on the TQ-15 grey silhouette target.  

5 rounds at 5 yards, 5 at 10 yards.  7 of 10 in the smaller square to qualify.

I was shooting a 1956 vintage Sistema 1927, unmodified, with the tiny little A1 military sights.  Typical rattle-trap mil-surp 1911, sound like a can of krylon when you shake it. I also may have been shooting my target loads of 200 grain SWC and 4.0 grains of Green Dot.

First 5 shots were a cloverleaf you could cover with a quarter with a "flier" about 3/4" up and to the right, dead center.

Guy shooting next to me has a brand new shiny Ruger P-series double stack of some kind (Stainless, 9mm, P89?) and says he needs his CCW to join the Sheriffs Posse.

Mr. Posse, is having a wee bit of trouble hitting the center of the target.  Actually, Mr. Posse is having a bit of trouble hitting the PAPER, at 5 yards.  I swear I thought he was going to pee himself once he looked at what "that old thing" could do.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#38]
When I was helping a friend whom did CCW classes, his wife would take the women on her side of the firing line. She asked me to come take a look at what one of the women was using, as it wasn't working right. Turned out it was a Radom that her husband had brought back from Europe following WWII. The right side grip was replaced with a slab of wood, and there were marks on the frame from shrapnel, and what looked like pitting from blood. She was using steel cased German ammo that he also brought back. I let her borrow my Buckmark and she finished the course easily.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:45:24 AM EDT
[#39]
I think that I will use an 1851 NAVY next time. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
You do not have to fire a shot in Virginia and can carry any handgun you want.

We have not had any problems.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What is a CCW qual.?
View Quote
We dont have a qualification here.  Just load the gun and shoot, thats pretty much it. As long as you can appear to be competent and not waving it around youre good.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I think that I will use an 1851 NAVY next time. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/104449/navy51-335606.JPG
View Quote
An instructor told me that a young lady showed for a permit class with an original 1851 Colt and a box of .38 Spl.  Her boyfriend said the cartridges would work.

Took my permit class in the 1990s.  An older couple brought a Colt .25 auto and two .38 S&W revolvers, one a S&W top-break.  No ammo for either.  At the lunch break, they bought .25 ammo at the gun shop, but no .38 S&W in stock.  Shooting was on an indoor range, I overheard the instructor tell the husband "Use the sights, you're hitting the ceiling".

I was an instructor for my gun club's permit course for several years.  One guy qualified using a .357 Blackhawk, another with a Makarov.  One guy used an 8-shot top-break .22.  He would load 6, but had trouble remembering which way the cylinder turned.  Usually his string of fire was something like: bang-bang-click-click-bang-bang-bang-bang.

Someone tried to use an old German .32 revolver.  The course called for double-action shooting, if the pistol was capable of DA fire.  At 7 yards, he was hitting on the right of the B27 silhouette.  At 15 yards, most were off the target.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#43]
when I took my class for my Texas CHL in January 2008 the only semi-auto non .22 I had was my Walther P1 in 9mm

no issues at all firing 115gr FMJs for the class

the instructor got a kick out of it
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top