Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2002 2:58:45 PM EDT
How many of the active, combat arms military out there have one?

For those who are out or are not in the military, would you take one? If so what kind?

I'm pretty sure it's against the "rules"to bring your own sidearm, but if the Army won't provide the means to protect myself, I think it is worth it. Even if I couldn't bring it home, $440 for my @ss?  Good deal I think.

My GTW pistol MIGHT be a SA 1911 milspec.  If I WAS thinking about bringing one I'd bring my own ammo since 9mm is the NATO round now.

Anyone know or heard of punishment for someone bringing their own trusty sidearm to war?
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#1]
When I was in the service I was allowed if I bought my own (pistol and shotgun only) and supplied the ammo I was allowed to carry it and of course only after command inspection and ball ammo only, except for the shotgun. I also was attached to a special unit. My command was very liberal on stuff like this.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd grab my USP fullsize .45 and have no regrets.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#3]
For the extra weight I'd rather have an extra frag or two myself.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I know that you CAN get in trouble.  Has any one heard of an actual case?  Of course it would depend on your CO.  What I was looking for are opinions. Would you do it? Is it worth the risk to have a backup weapon.

I mean, does it hurt the combat effectiveness of my unit? If anything, it enhances it. I'm no good to anyone dead, right?  Not trying to preach to the choir or sway anyone's opinion.  I already know what I am going to do.  Just want to know what you guys think.

ATW
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Hopefully you are going to be carrying a full load of serious fighting gear that is your primary means of fighting, so you might want to make your illegal handgun something less powerful but lighter and easier to carry.  In 'Nam that was frequently the S&W J frame, and it is still a good choice today.  You can keep an Airweight Centennial or similar in your pocket where it is easy to get to, hard for the brass to notice, but will still serve as that last-ditch "keep me going" sort of thing.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:38:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I think I would surf the "black markets" again. In Nam, I had a 4 barrel .22 magnum. About the size of a pack of smokes, 4 hammers, marked "cobra XM...blah blah blah" (dont remember)as a last ditch option. I could have done better, but I was just 18, very green, you know what I mean?
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:09:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'd grab my USP fullsize .45 and have no regrets.

Ditto.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I would go with a Model 19 .357 Combat Magnum

Tons of power and less likely to jam.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#10]
SIG 220...ammo is easier to acquire in wartime than something like the 226 but I would not be too upset taking the SIG 226 in .357SIG either.

Love the 1911 but the SIGs are flawless in function.

Link Posted: 6/20/2002 2:34:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Since the FN HP is our standard issued sidearm (but not to me) I'd take my 226 in 9Para because of ammo availability.
But first and foremost am I very happy they gave me a FNC. At least now I can reach out and touch, starting at 400m.

C-2-6 Out!
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:14:18 AM EDT
[#12]
The ex recon jarhead I work with says....guys in his unit could have anything thet wanted.....as long as command approved it in terms of function........Ex air force brother says they were issued 38 special revolvers.....only while on alert.....the security people carried 38 revolvers.....and were being issued autos about the time he retired.....about eight years ago......he never heard of air crews being issued any personal weapons while on missions......he was front line ground support during the asian event
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top