Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2005 4:20:44 AM EDT
the slide would not stay to the rear after the last round was fired and the freaking mags were very hard to load (10 round ban factory mags)

owner stated that glocks will do that when the feed lips on the mags wear down.

Is this true?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:24:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Followers on some Glock 9mm mags aren't up to snuff.  Did you try some different mags?  Feed lips don't activate the slide stop, the follower does.  

G23c
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:27:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably needs a new mag spring unless you're hitting the slide catch upon firing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:56:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Check your support hand position.

Are you unknowingly holding your hand to interfere with the slide stop, or are you shooting with a high thunb and unknowingly applying pressure against the slide?

I have seen both... might be equipment... might be technique!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Glock 10rd mags suck in the 17 and 19. Buy a factory Glock regular capacity mag and then test the gun. The mag follower is likely the problem.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#5]
New good mags are $15 each, buy some!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#6]
One other thing I have seen.

Failure to lock back if limp wristing (not locking out).  The plastic frame is so light that if one does not lock out, the slide can sometimes not get full travel to the rear.  By not locking out and limp wristing, one absorbs part of the recoil energy in the flexing in the arms, and it does not give a solid platform for the slide to travel on the frame.  Frame comes back slightly as the slide comes back... full rearward travel on the slide does not happen, it misses the slide stop, and closes on an empty chamber.

What I teach for a Glock or any polymer frame pistol... is to push out, as if you are trying to push a bayonette through the target... to get good lock out and provide a solid base for the gun to recoil on... thus giving all that energy to the slide for full rearward movement.

Or as I put it... "Push out, lock out."  "Push the weapon to the threat."
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Failure to lock back if limp wristing (not locking out).

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Not common... but I have seen it.  

I have been a firearms instructor/range master for about 18 years... and through the armorers course about a half a dozen times.

I have many times magically made a Glock that would fail to properly feed  suddenly start working right by having a shooter lock out.  ...and one that would not reliably lock back on the last round, no longer have that issue doing the same thing.  Most of this type of malfunction I have seen has been shooter induced.  I have one shooter who is magical at this stuff, and forgets it in the 6 month perion between quals, and has to be "fixed" every 6 month.  This quals problem was a change to shooting with a high thumb.  And resting the high thumb against the slide and hindering it's movement, causing multiple malfuctions in a 60 round course of fire.

Having said this... the 10 shot mags are more prone to have magazine related issues in a weapon then the hi caps.

At our national academy, which is every federal agency except FBI and DEA, there was an instructor down there that could make an auto malfunction on "command" by limp wristing and giving with the weapon recoil.

Just cause you ain't seen it does not mean it is bull.  I know what I know.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#9]
There is an article in this month's (April), Dillon Precision's "Blue Press" about the Glock ten rounders and the problems loading them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:40:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Well this would be an easy one to prove or disprove. Manually rack the slide back on a empty mag. If it hold back every time manually, then it very well may be a shooter related problem. If not, look at the mags.

I had a similar issue with a couple of Gen1 mags with +2 floor-plates. The would never lock back. Turned out they had weak mag springs. Replaced them with Wolff x-power springs and they now work 100%. In your case, if these are 10 rounders, I would pitch them and buy some real mags.

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#12]
If keeping those 10 round mags.  Change out the followers to older 9mm1 or 9mm3 ones.  These are the ones used in older standard capacity mags and will work better in 10 round mags.  They also make getting the 10th round in much easier as well.

Glock Inc will usually give you them free of charge if you ask.  

GLOCK Inc. USA, Canada
6000 Highlands Parkway
Smyrna, GA 30082
USA
Tel.:  +1 770 - 432 1202
Fax.: +1 770 - 433 8719
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I have seen weak mag springs cause the slide to not lock back, happened to me.  Not with a 9mm mag, but with a 10mm magazine.  I bought some ISMI springs, no problems since.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top