Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2014 4:35:45 PM EDT
I just picked up a 12" 30-06 barrel for my TC Encore frame. Yesterday was the first time I took it out, and it's definitely got more recoil than the Hammerli 106 that I've been spending most of my time with lately. When it goes off, I get some upward rotation from the wrists, then it rises, which is all to be expected. What I wasn't really expecting is that it also rolls to the left as it recoils. I'm right handed, using a thumbs locked grip, shooting standing. Is that something to be expected? I've heard of torque caused by the rotational force of the bullet against the rifling, is that what they're talking about? Just wondering if they're a flaw in my technique that's being exposed by the increased recoil.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been a shooter my whole life and own / owned big bore's, different .44's, .45's inc a .45 LC derringer ....which has a little bite
A few years ago my brother brought over his Thompson with a 16" 06 barrel on it, I shot it once....if you miss you'd still burn the sob to a crispy critter.
Just MHO...not really fun
How do you not flinch with that f____in thing?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#2]
First of all, that is the coolest picture I've seen this week

Second, you are describing recoil precisely.  You just don't feel the force the same way in all guns and calibers.  But all guns you fire are indeed recoiling the same exact way from a small .22LR pistol to that king kong bazooka you shot today.

The closest I felt to what you are shooting was a freedom arms .454 Casull loaded HOT.  You feel the twist after all the other movements.  The twist is there the entire time really.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I seemed to notice the rotation/torque partway through the recoil process. I managed to get the windage worked out, but the elevation was kicking my butt. I figured after 22 rounds I'd hold off on finishing the zeroing process until another day.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#4]
You should try a Contender in 45-70 or 444 marlin.
both will make you rethink the Contender platform.
It's a pound or more lighter and generates more free recoil than an Encore
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:05:04 AM EDT
[#5]
They do have recoil, sounds about normal. My factory 15" 30-06 barrel is very accurate and will shoot as well as any of my custom barrels. Killed 1 doe with mine, really like it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What I wasn't really expecting is that it also rolls to the left as it recoils. I'm right handed, using a thumbs locked grip, shooting standing. Is that something to be expected? I've heard of torque caused by the rotational force of the bullet against the rifling, is that what they're talking about? Just wondering if they're a flaw in my technique that's being exposed by the increased recoil.
View Quote

yes, bullet rotates clockwise, your pistol will rotate counter clockwise, simple physics, nothing to do with your technique. this is from a physics major
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top