Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 9:14:47 PM EDT
Shoulder? Hip? Ankle? On your hip do you chose to wear it on the front or the back? Just curious. I want a holster like Will Smith had in Bad Boys II that had the gun vertical on the small of his back.

I figure most wear a hip holster, why is the shoulder not more popular?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Ankle carry is for a back up gun. There's no way in hell you'd ever get to an ankle gun fast enough to mean anything.

Shoulder holsters are not more popular for several reasons: You have to wear a coat, a good one is expensive and I'm sure someone else knows a few other reasons.

I use a CompTac CTAC for Glocks. I carry it at my 3:30 - 4 o'clock position. And I can use it with shorts and a Tshirt all the way to Arctic clothing.

Will Smith's holster (lol), would be uncomfortable to say the least when sitting down in anything with back support. Also anytime you bent over it would print badly. Hopefully someone else chimes in on why Hollywood should not be used for CCW training.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Black leather Galco belt holster, open top, placed at 3 to 4 o'clock on my strong side. "FBI" cant.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Will Smith's holster (lol), would be uncomfortable to say the least when sitting down in anything with back support. Also anytime you bent over it would print badly. Hopefully someone else chimes in on why Hollywood should not be used for CCW training.

I know, but it looks badass. I think it could be comfortable with the right gun. Easy pull too. For me anyways.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Open top,belt,strong side,2:30-3:00. For extended road trips,weak side for crossdraw while sitting.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Fobus Yacqui for my 1911 only because I havent had the gun long enough to afford a custom leather piece.  Should be giving Mr. Sherrick a call pretty soon...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, but it looks badass. I think it could be comfortable with the right gun. Easy pull too. For me anyways.

If you are going to carry to look badass, you probably shouldn't carry at all.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:52:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea no kidding! Your handgun is supposed to be CONCEALED. Looking badass should mean nothing as nobody should know it is there to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:52:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me thinks someone watches too much TV

I carry my G19 in a Comp-Tac CTAC @ the 3 o'clock position.  If I start carrying a 1911 (I was looking at the Kimber Pro Carry IIs) I may have to try a Milt Sparks?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:33:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I carry my GLOCK 19 in a Blade-Tech kydex IWB at the 3:00 position. I carry my back up gun in either my left front pocket or on my left ankle.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:56:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Shoulder? Hip? Ankle? On your hip do you chose to wear it on the front or the back? Just curious. I want a holster like Will Smith had in Bad Boys II that had the gun vertical on the small of his back.

HK USP or a Taurus PT140 , strong side behind the hip. Usually an IWB holster or my Strong pancake  holster.  Small of back is horroible! I tried it once . For about 5 min.  with my smaller auto. I find that behind the hip is the most concealable for me. coat or shirt won't get pulled back that far accidently, and doesn't print thru clothing as much. I take it ya don't carry much or at all?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#12]
In my first year of carrying the pistol migrated to about 3:30 Strongside in an FBI cant and is still there. Funny how poeple who carry guns for a living know something. I started and was like pffft FBI doesnt know crap. My gun slowly moved to where it should of been all along.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#13]
usually hip, occasionally shoulder
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Until Friday morning, I was running OWB at 3:30-4:00.

I have actually found an IWB holster that feels good. (Angels singing....HALLELUJAH!!!!)
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Tac-Pro Kydex OWB, at about 4:00.  I've never found anything that works better or is more comfortable.  Only issue is concealment in the summer when I don't wear a coat or a sweatshirt.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Kimber Pro CDP in a Blade-Tech IWB, on the hip @ 8:30 (southpaw).
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I carry a Kahr P9, in an Alessi IWB on the right hip.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Hip paddle rig.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I use both Galco Fletch and Combat master Leather.

However,
I have recently experienced the benefits of IWB holsters and am
wearing a Fletch with a a second belt under my pants to tide me
over 'till I get a proper IWB rig.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#20]
CZ-70 In Bianchi IWB on strong side, 2 spare mags opposite. I have worn with T-shirts, "Polo" shirts, etc. shorts and long pants. Only those who know me have any idea that I carry.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Like most people, I have a box or two of holsters/gun leather... I started using a Fobus paddle holster during the last deployment and like them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#22]
depends on the gun:

For larger pistols, like a 1911, I use a Galco Yaqui belt slide at the 3 o'clock position.

For my 38 snub I use a desantis forward cant OWB holster at the 4:30-5:00 position in the winter, and a Galco pocket holster in the summer.

I also occassionally use a yaqui belt slide for my Glock 19 at the 3 o'clock position but if I carry a larger pistol it is usually the 1911.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Glock 26 IWB at 3:15. I use a Fist K4 kydex holster that tucks under my dress shirt. BG is a Beretta Tomcat, pocket holster, L front pocket.

On the weekend, when I don't have to carry tucked under my shirt, I carry a Glock 19 in my new $19 safariland kydex paddle holster with the G26 as a BG.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#24]
IWB, uncle mikes concealment holster--G29 (at work), strong right in 3-4 oclock

when i get a CCW, i'll switch probably to a comptac

as to shoulder rigs, i draw faster from the hip or cross draw
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I use a Comp-Tac  for my Caspian Govt. 45 with the extra belt straps, made to look like chainmail.
I know it sounds hideous, but it is pretty cool in person.  I use (used) it for IDPA also until it JUST became illegal in competition.
I can wear it under a sweatshirt, or a vest (that just SCREAMS concealed gun)
But in Houston in the summer, I go with a small G-26 with a nice pancake holster. I don't remember the maker.
Doug
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#26]
USP .45 Tactical in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 at around 4:00-4:30. It's still comfortable enough while sitting.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#27]
strong side behind the hip in a IWB for every thing except fullsize glocks and USPf. they are on the belt at the same position or occasionally on the thigh. sometimes in a shoulder rig or ankle.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I use an IWB from RM Holsters  I carry my 23 at about 3:30-4:00.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#29]
XD SubCompact in Comp-Tac C-Tac at around 3:30
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me thinks someone watches too much TV

I carry my G19 in a Comp-Tac CTAC @ the 3 o'clock position.  If I start carrying a 1911 (I was looking at the Kimber Pro Carry IIs) I may have to try a Milt Sparks?

Kevin, why don't you go with the New York Reload?

this is the definition of "Bad Ass"

(I'm sorry, but I really could not resist.)

M4arc,
I have the Milt Sparks VM2 and it is awesome. I can carry all day with a Colt CCO it it never bothers me. I picked it up from Lightning Arms on the 1911forum. They were great to deal with and faster than direct. They do cost a little more, but it was worth an extra $20 not to have to wait 6 weeks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top