Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 11:25:28 PM EDT
Pistol is a super redhawk - what kind of scope would you put on this pistol for general hunting? What is the effective range using this for say - deer hunting? Is 100 yards out of the question? THANKS
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:54:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I have used a Pro Point red dot(1X = no magnification) while hog hunting.I zeroed a couple inches high at 50 yd which in theory would be more or less point and shoot from 20 yd out to 70. Thing you have to be real carefull is not the power (of the load ) but at longer distances bullet drop will mess up your shot if you don't estimate distance well .I also had a 2X pistol scope available to me but I passed as this was a march hunt in VT. With snow on ground   moveing from sunny area into shady thick dark  area was difficult.Red dot made it possible,scope with crossshairs would have been not so good . If I had been still hunting or longer distances I would consider the 2X.
Are pistol scopes with lighted reticules availible ? How about something like a EOtech ? the donut reticule would be real useable,fast up close with fine 1 MOA dot for further shots.
I love the cast  flat nose for hunting,doesn't depend on some flashy hollowpoint (which only seem to work at a narrow velocity range)but they get awesome penetration and seem to kill very well.
Knowing your load,or carrying a drop chart is very importaint. I don't count on charts found on ammo boxes or reloading books. Shoot the load in your gun at different ranges and actually see what the bullet is doing in your gun.
To go back to your orriginal question,a lot depends on your skill and confidence,and type of hunting.If hunting from a tree stand you can pick out (measure or pace) the distances out to likely shots,even mark them out like a bow hunter might.You could go so far as actually shooting paper targets or full size 3-d targets from your stand in the off season,try this in different light conditions.Know the kill Zones of a deer or whatever you are hunting and understand how the aim point will change with different angles.(how the deer is standing and your heigth relative to the animal)Shot placement is key,Some guys can hit reliably if the conditioms are controled out past 100 yd,I would think if you practice and are realistic about your abilities most hunters would try to limit themselves to something less than 100 yd in most cases.
Do not take the advise of some armchair know it all (like myself! ) this is something you have to reason out for yourself,that is something a hunter is allways up against  on each shot as it presents itself.(can I make THIS shot?) Practise and good luck !
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:38:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a Leupold Vari-X 2.5-8 on my .44mag, and a Leupold 2x on my .357. They both work good, but if I was hunting i'd prefer the Vari-x and .44mag. I don't hunt, but I don't think 100 yards would be out of the question with a .44mag and scope.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I used my .44 Super Redhawk this season for the first time. I also spent a lot of time trying to figure out the best optics to put on it. In the end, I decided to use a 2X fixed scope. I wanted a Leupold but after spending quite a bit of time looking through scopes of the various brands a decided on the Bushnell. For the record, I was prepared to shell out the money for a Burris or Leupold but I really liked the Bushnell better. I still can't beleive that a Bushnell looked so good but even in the woods it is excellent (and I saved some money and bought a nice holster).

I sighted it in at 50 yards. It seems more sensitive to different brands of ammo than most other pistols or rifles I have shot. In the end, the 250 grain Hornady hollow points were the most consistent. I was literally shooting through the same hole at fifty yards. It opened up quite a bit at 100 yards (probably from my eyes). I don't beleive it's ethical to try to kill a deer past 100 yards with a .44 handgun. I set my limit in the field at 75 yards but probably would have shot out to 100 if I saw Buckzilla.

During our short season, I was only able to get one doe and she came in within 20 yards.

Hope that helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top