Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2004 7:21:12 AM EDT
Considering both, but want your opinions. Not sure which I prefer.

Eric
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 8:57:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Long post incoming. I'll try to cover everything I know.

The best thing to do is to shoot a couple hundred rounds of both to see which one you prefer. Only you can decide what is best for you. For the record, both pistols are extremely reliable. However, here’s my take.

Personally, I prefer the USP. You will hear some people attempt to bad mouth the ergonomics of the USP, but I think it’s a pretty damn good pistol. I think it really boils down to a matter of preference. I think some people are just too used to their 1911 style pistols. With a Hogue rubber slip on grip, it fits my hand perfectly! The thumb operated safety/decocker is easy to actuate. I also prefer it’s index finger operated mag release (really reminds me of using an AR except you push down rather than up).

The trigger reach is perfect for me. If you’re going to get a USP, get the match trigger upgrade. It’s MUCH better. I have a USP .45 Tactical, so it comes stock with the Match Trigger. It really makes me wonder why in the world this isn’t standard on all USPs. Why should you have to pay extra for something when it should be that way when the trigger is installed the first time around? Then again, HK as a company and their policies/business practices pisses many people off (including myself) but that’s another topic of discussion. There are around 10 different variants for the trigger setup and safety/decocker, so you can configure it to your needs. Personally I have the standard Variant 1 setup and like it. It’s a single action/double action trigger. I however always have it cocked and locked. Just as with the 1911, there is no risk of a discharge unless you pull the trigger, so do not worry about carrying it cocked. When cocked and in single action, the match trigger has a nice clean/crisp break. I am not a fan of the double action mode, but if you find yourself paranoid about negligent discharges, you can have that first heavy pull if you so desire.

The USP does not utilize a standard light/accessory rail. However, there are some very good lights out there for it. There are also adapters to make it accept other more standardized lights. Replacement parts are available, though slightly expensive. They aren’t as common as Glock parts however, since Glocks have a much larger following.

Standard USPs come with 3 dot sights that are adjustable with a sight pusher I do believe. The Tactical model comes with match target sights, which do not have any dots, but are large enough to be seen over a sound suppressor. Personally, I like the target sights a lot on my Tactical. HK offers factory night sights for a little over $100, but there are several aftermarket manufacturers producing them as well. I am going to order some Heinie night sights myself, which are similar to the Tactical’s target sights, but instead have 2 tritium filled vials (made by Trijicon) for dots which form a figure 8 when aligned. Meprolight is another popular night sight manufacturer, but I do not know much about them.

Magazines are a weak point with the USP. Normal capacity mags are for the time being difficult to get a hold of and are expensive compared to Glock mags (more than double the price). They also are known for having weak springs. Just get some Wolf mag springs and that problem is solved however. As far as accuracy goes, it’s much more accurate than I am. If you get an O-Ring barrel upgrade or a model with an O-Ring barrel stock, I’m sure you will not be disappointed with accuracy, though the standard barrels are very good too. All in all, I think it’s a great pistol and I would most definitely recommend the Tactical model if you can afford the extra $$$. I paid $914 for mine, including shipping and a transfer fee. A standard USP should run you around $600-$650 new in the box I do believe. All HK pistols come with a lifetime warranty, and while I hear they usually take care of their customers, there can sometimes be a long turn around time on repairs (as unlikely as they are to break).

My best friend has a Glock 17 and likes it a lot. I haven’t ever been terribly impressed with much about Glocks other than their world renowned reliability (save for the kaBooming ones ). The grip angle is more extreme, but that may make it point better for some people. The trigger is unique and takes some getting used to, but always has the same pull each and every time, which is important for some people. Don’t let this mislead you however, as this is true for any pistol if you keep it cocked for your first shot, or have a double action/single action only pistol. It also does not have any external/manual safety. Some people find this preferable, while others are paranoid about it. Parts and magazines are readily available most anywhere as Glock has a large client base, especially with Police Departments across the country. They are much simpler compared to many other pistols, which some people believe makes them inherently more reliable. I am not sure what sort of warranty Glock owners are afforded, but I hear they usually take care of their customers.

In the end, choose what works best with you.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the USP, IMHO.  I own two USP's (a full size 9mm and a compact .357 SIG) and I think they are great pistols.  I have shot several Glocks (including the 19) and, while I do think they are high quality pistols, I prefer the USP.  Some of it is probably looks, and some of it is that I don't typically like to follow the masses, but the main reasons I prefer the USP are that I feel they handle better, point more naturally, and for me, they shoot more accurately.  I would recommend trying both at the range if you can to see which one you like better, though.  

Fortunately, you can't really go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#3]
What an outstanding response!

Thank you for providing me with some much information about the HK. I am worried about the extra cost involved with owning an HK, but I think, as you have pointed out very well, the reliability of the HK has been proven over the years.

I was not aware however of the springs being the weak point in HK magazines. Thank you for that information.

Now, can someone give me the flip side for the Glock?

I have shot both before as rentals and liked both, both fit my hand well, so I realy need the nitty gritty about each.

Eric
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#4]
+3 on the HK USP. Had mine since '92. Original mag. springs and parts.  Also use the Hogue grip sleeve.  

Glocks are not bad either. My friend has 1.  + for Glock is all the reasily avalible acces.  , cheap too.  The grip angle is much diffrent than the HK or I would own a Glock too.
     Downside for Glock is KB  9 not sure how much of a problem this really is)  , no manual safety(trigger doesn't count)

Bottom line get what feels the best, points the best ,  the gun you can operate the levers best.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't shy away from the HK P2000 either!
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#6]
USP. It isn't even a question.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#7]
USP is number 1 in my book
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I've owned both.  Currently I have two USP's.  I really liked my G21 and think I may have shot better with it,.  It blew up however.  -SHOOT ONLY JACKETED AMMO- The lead will foul the polygonal rifling in either gun.  BTW, this did not happen on a reload, but a on a FMJ that was shot after shooting a lot of lead wadcutters that were reloads.  Glock treated me fair and replaced the barrel and  frame for like $100 bucks or something.  USP's are warranteed for life of original owner .  That's nice.  (this is voided if damage occurs from reloads I believe) After that experience, I researched other guns.  USP's underwent a test in which a bullet was lodged in the barrel and then fired with a second round.  I don't remember specifics, but I think it buldged the barrel and blew the magazine out.  This is better than what happened my Glock and my hand.  Secondly, I have aquired my CCW license and really feel better packing with option of using a thumb safety.  Other than cheaper  and  the fact that I shoot them better, I see no benifits to the Glock over the USP.  If you shoot them equally well and don't mind the extra $150 bucks ( which you may spend in replacing the Glock sights anyway), go USP.  And if you r not looking for a CCW , go USP with a full size.  My USP compact 9mm is simply harder to shoot well..  
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#9]
glock 19 for range or home work

HK overall for carry
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#10]
as far as I'm concerned HK USPs and Glock anythings aren't even in the same legue.  The only downside to the USP that is conceded to the Glock is price.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
as far as I'm concerned HK USPs and Glock anythings aren't even in the same league.  The only downside to the USP that is conceded to the Glock is price.  

+1
You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Basically...the way I look at it...

A USP is EVERYTHING a glock is, as well as everything it isn't that it really should have been.

USP no question about it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I have both the G19 and the HK USPC.

I'd recommend the G19 for cheap 15 rd mags, but the USPC is a better gun.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 6:18:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok, I am starting to see a pattern emerge here.

I'll go with the HK.

Thanks guys!

Regards,
Eric
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I own both and I recommend the G19.  The USP is nice, built like a brick-shit-house but I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it.  I also had numerous FTEs when it was brand new.  I believe this was due to how tight it was because it wouldn't eject the case if I was shooting 115gr ammo.  If I shot 124 or 147gr it was fine.  After a case of 124gr Winchester she'll feed anything and has been ultra reliable since the 700 round mark (there about).

I think the two biggest drawbacks to the USP are the high bore axis and the shitty/heavy trigger.   The availablility and cost of the "normal" capacity mags sucks too.  

I recommend you find a place that rents both and run a couple hundred rounds through each to decide for yourself.  Everyone is different and what works for one person may not be what works for you.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#16]
USP
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#18]
USP
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#19]
G19
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#20]

I'm partial to the USP as I prefer its ergonomics and manual safety setup.  But I'm not a Glock basher - they serve their intended purpose very well.

Please don't make the mistake of lumping the full-size and compact USP guns too closely together, as the grip circumference makes them feel totally different.  I love my USP 45 Compact, but the USP 45 full-size is too big to be comfortable for me.

Link Posted: 12/30/2004 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, this is what happened.

After hearing so much about the USP I had decided to go that route. Until.

I went to my range rented both and shot each for 1/2 hour. I liked both equally. Both were consistent shooters. Both gave me about the same groupings, the Glock slightly less, but overall I still couldn't decide. Both fit well, both had there own seperate merits.

What it boiled down to was price. I wasn't buying new. I guess I'm cheap. Not to say that the Glock is by any means a cheaply made firearm.

Here's what I ended up with.

Glock 19.
1 10 round magazine
2 15 round magazines
M3 Streamlight Tac Light
Glock Belt Holster

all for....

wait for it.....

$429.00 (used of course).

The used USP was a full size, but they wanted $600 for it with only 1 10 round magazine. I couldn't pass up the deal and I figure tax refunds aren't that far away if I need to buy something else.

I'm pretty happy with the decision, and want to really thank everyone for their input.

Regards,
Eric
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Considering both, but want your opinions. Not sure which I prefer.

Eric

G19
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I switched from Glock to USP.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 5:01:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Next time, take a look at SIG.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 5:05:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm pretty happy with the decision, and want to really thank everyone for their input.

Regards,
Eric

Good for you, congratulations!  Now buy a case of Winchester White Box and practice, practice, practice
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 5:19:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Here's what I ended up with...

I'm pretty happy with the decision...

And there's the bottom line!

Sounds like a good deal.  Use it a lot, and enjoy!

Mark
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#27]
You should feel fine with a deal like that.  Call me paranoid, but if you are going to carry, you may want to consider a Safety Block.  It's a little piece of plastic that wedges behind the trigger.  You just push it out with your trigger finger as you're coming on target.   I think you'll be satisfied with your purchase but, if you ever regret it, I think you'll be able to get your money back out  of it on a trade.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a glock 19 also. It would be nice if they had an extra safety of some kind but oh well.

I almost bought a XD for the extra safety but I didn't.

I am thinking about picking up a 1911 micro compact from springfield next. Not sure.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 5:36:57 AM EDT
[#29]
+1 USP
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I dont know whos thumb the safty on the usp was made for but ,I traded my usp45 for a glock 21 and have never looked back.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:03:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Eric...you will be happy with the Glock 19.

BTW: my Glock has an extra safety device...it's called an IQ. Forget about the safety block crap, just get a good holster and keep your finger off the trigger.

HERE IS A LINK FOR A GREAT DEAL ON AN EXCELLENTSafariland 5181 HOLSTER FOR THE G19
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I dont know whos thumb the safty on the usp was made for but ,I traded my usp45 for a glock 21 and have never looked back.

I have both, and prefer the USP by far.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#33]
if you're looking for a good holster i recommend the blackhawk CQC holster with serpa retention.  its awesome and works good at keeping it in the holster.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a USPc in .40 S&W.  It is a great gun EXCEPT for the F*&!&%n mag springs.  I kept a magazine loaded for about three weeks (10 rounder) and it now has a FTF every 100 rounds or so.  However this is an easy fix as others here have already noted.  

BTW, Topglock has HK hicaps for $39, which is pretty good as far as HK mags go.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top