Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2012 6:43:33 PM EDT

Being someone who teaches groups of new shooters from all different backgrounds frequently, I often get the question, "Which gun should I get?"    My answer about 80% of the time is the Glock 19.   There's a reason it's the most popular handgun in America––-it's a great gun that can fill just about any role.    

Pros:
-Reliable (I address the recent issues in the video below)
-Accurate (more accurate than 99% of the shooters that own one)
-Durable (many reports of these guns going over 100,000 rounds with only a spring change)
-Easy to maintain
-TONS of aftermarket support
-Accepts 15, 17, and 33 round factory magazines
-Small enough to carry, but with a 15 round magazine
-Glock's customer service is second to none
-Durable finish
-Cheap replacement parts, should you ever need them
-Low Bore Axis resulting in a relatively soft shooting gun
-Easily modified to fit the shooters' preferences
-Requires very little cleaning/lubrication to run reliably (that said, clean your guns!)

Cons:
-Recent erratic ejection issues (I had one of these guns but Glock replaced it free of charge)
-9mm Glocks are susceptible to 'limp wristing'  (most semi-auto 9mm guns are however)
-Comes with a serrated trigger (I'm not a fan)

Here's a brief review video with some shooting at SD distances (12m), longer range shooting (40m), table top with disassembly and size comparison with all the 9mm Glocks/Caracal C/M&P9 Pro, and some chronographing with popular carry/defensive loads:

Gen3 FDE Glock 19 Review

Chronograph Results:

Hornady 147gr TAP: 966 fps, 305 ft/lbs energy
Federal 124gr HST JHPs: 1113 fps, 341 ft/lbs energy
Federal 124gr +p JHPs: 1164 fps, 373 ft/lbs energy
Winchester 115gr Ranger JHPs: 1097 fps, 307 ft/lbs energy
Remington 115gr UMC JHPs: 1142 fps, 333 ft/lbs energy
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Very well put together vid.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Great job and great video. I need to start the process of sending back my new 17. I have a feeling it is going to be a hassle since it has the new extractor in it. Sure they are going to tell me that there is nothing wrong with it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes!

Glock 19 #1
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#4]
That was really well done. Also, I love the Glock 19.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 3:08:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 4:01:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Not everyone shoots the Glocks well (several on here have stated that - including myself). Best advise is shoot as many as you can and get what works best for you.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 4:38:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd have to disagree, until one really learns all the safety rules and can apply them without thinking [especially the booger hooker off the trigger one] I think most newcomers would be far better served by a 4" .357 loaded with .38spls  or a .38 special or a pistol with either a long DA pull or a manual safety.

I do agree that the 19 is probably one of the better choices when it comes to a Glock.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:13:11 AM EDT
[#8]
As a carrier of a Glock 20SF, allow me to add a few cons:

1) Horrible triggers! Feels like squeezing a wet sponge. This may not matter to a rookie, but for those of us loving the 1911 & S&W revolver triggers, it's a HUGE disappointment.

2) No grip adaptations. Aside from the Hogue rubber sleeve & discounting the Gen 4 backstrap, there's nothing one can do to a Glock grip. Yes, I discount the soldering iron stippling.................  

3) Absolutely NO personality. Again, this may not matter to a novice, but it does to those who know guns, IMO. Glocks have all the warmth & individuality of a wet army blanket. Were H&K to make a 10mm, I wouldn't own my 20SF.

The point I'm trying to make is, Glocks aren't the end-all, be-all of handguns. I now have my flame suit on for all the Glock fanboys................    
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd have to disagree, until one really learns all the safety rules and can apply them without thinking [especially the booger hooker off the trigger one] I think most newcomers would be far better served by a 4" .357 loaded with .38spls  or a .38 special or a pistol with either a long DA pull or a manual safety.

I do agree that the 19 is probably one of the better choices when it comes to a Glock.

+1
Newbies and glock is a AD waiting to happen. Also seems that there are some  leo`s that have have problems with glocks as well.

OP
Dont get me wrong I think the pre 2011 gen 3 G17/19 is one of the best pistols out there for guys who can keep there finger off the trigger.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I have that exact gun..FDE Gen 3 G19 ..its nice but I don't shoot it as well as I shoot my G30...Not sure why that is
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

1) Horrible triggers! Feels like squeezing a wet sponge. This may not matter to a rookie, but for those of us loving the 1911 & S&W revolver triggers, it's a HUGE disappointment.

No argument there; not a huge fan of the mush-doink trigger, but it is consistent, and in the end that's most important IMO.

2) No grip adaptations. Aside from the Hogue rubber sleeve & discounting the Gen 4 backstrap, there's nothing one can do to a Glock grip. Yes, I discount the soldering iron stippling.................  

I use a cheap bike inner tube, works extremely well.  What do you want, wood?

3) Absolutely NO personality. Again, this may not matter to a novice, but it does to those who know guns, IMO. Glocks have all the warmth & individuality of a wet army blanket. Were H&K to make a 10mm, I wouldn't own my 20SF.

lolwut?  HK guns have personality, warmth and individuality?

Also, what does that even matter to anyone who knows anything about guns?  Guns are primarily tools, esp. true with CCW pieces.  You really want your gun with the great personality indefinitely locked away in evidence after you shoot someone with it?

The point I'm trying to make is, Glocks aren't the end-all, be-all of handguns. I now have my flame suit on for all the Glock fanboys................    

I'm a 1911 guy, and I carry a G19.  At least for me, Glocks are best because no other gun offers the best mix of the OP's aforementioned features for the price.  

For most intents and purposes, Glock does everything HK can do for a lot cheaper, with no loss in reliability or durability.

ETA: Don't misunderstand me, I still am coveting the hell out of an HK45c
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

#1- Unless reworked by the fun shop @ S&W- their revolvers break at what ? a mere 12lbs of trigger pull ?
#2- Glock owners don't buy a glock cause it looks pretty like your hand bag does- We buy them cause they just work and work good.
#3- Glock isn't the end all be all of the gun world. Just a tool that some of us can run really good- so we stick with it. And that's where the loyality comes in. Just because it works for us and when we need it to

There endeth the lesson

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
At least for me, Glocks are best because no other gun offers the best mix of the OP's aforementioned features for the price.  

For most intents and purposes, Glock does everything HK can do for a lot cheaper, with no loss in reliability or durability.

+1

And I'm coveting the hell out of a P30!
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not everyone shoots the Glocks well (several on here have stated that - including myself). Best advise is shoot as many as you can and get what works best for you.

THIS THIS THIS. There is no one gun for everyone.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

#1- Unless reworked by the fun shop @ S&W- their revolvers break at what ? a mere 12lbs of trigger pull ?
#2- Glock owners don't buy a glock cause it looks pretty like your hand bag does- We buy them cause they just work and work good.
#3- Glock isn't the end all be all of the gun world. Just a tool that some of us can run really good- so we stick with it. And that's where the loyality comes in. Just because it works for us and when we need it to

There endeth the lesson at

#2 I think Glock 17/19 is the best looking plastic frame pistol out there. Though  I do like the looks of the Caracal

The ugliest Pistol has to be the Sig P 226,229,220!  Yes I carry a Sig P229.

I never bought a Pistol because of looks or how it felt in my hand. or even trigger pull.

I look for a service pistol or revolver with a good track record and that has been in production for awhile.

Then I try to master it.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There endeth the lesson at

#2 I think Glock 17/19 is the best looking plastic frame pistol out there. Though  I do like the looks of the Caracal

The ugliest Pistol has to be the Sig P 226,229,220!  Yes I carry a Sig P229.

I never bought a Pistol because of looks or how it felt in my hand. or even trigger pull.

I look for a service pistol or revolver with a good track record and that has been in production for awhile.

Then I try to master it.

Well said- but I do look at the trigger action

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:42:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I think most newcomers would be far better served by a 4" .357 loaded with .38spls or a .38 special or a pistol with either a long DA pull or a manual safety.

I see why people say that but I respectfully disagree.   I suppose it comes down to––-which is more important?  The ability for the shooter (in this case a new shooter) to make hits on a man-size target at SD distances or reducing the chance of a negligent discharge?  IMO, for a new shooter a long DA pull around 10 or more pounds just makes it less likely that they'll get those good hits.  Has it been done thousands of times?  Absolutely.  I'm just thinking percentages here.

But, that's what makes Glocks great.  If you want that long/heavy DA type pull, you can put in a NY2 trigger and a 8lb connector for about $12 and have exactly what you're looking for in a trigger yet still maintain the 15+1 capacity.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:50:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Where in the world did you arrive at that figure?  

#2- Glock owners don't buy a glock cause it looks pretty like your hand bag does-

I really doubt you wish to get into a pissing contest in the tech forums, homes...............    

All of which is subject to personal opinion & preference.

As I mentioned, I carry a Glock 20SF & have owned two others in the past. I speak from experience & not internet trivia.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#19]
fail. good opinion post, but fanboi jerkoff material belongs in the glock forum not general handgun.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
fail. good opinion post, but fanboi jerkoff material belongs in the glock forum not general handgun.

Do you realize how many reviews and how balanced Plouffdaddy is?  He isn't just here on this board either.  Let's put it this way.  If he said Glock sucked, I'd at least listen, and respect his opinion.  

Also.  You should buy a Glock.  It will make you happier.

Glock #1  He has a point
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think most newcomers would be far better served by a 4" .357 loaded with .38spls or a .38 special or a pistol with either a long DA pull or a manual safety.

I see why people say that but I respectfully disagree.   I suppose it comes down to––-which is more important?  The ability for the shooter (in this case a new shooter) to make hits on a man-size target at SD distances or reducing the chance of a negligent discharge?  IMO, for a new shooter a long DA pull around 10 or more pounds just makes it less likely that they'll get those good hits.  Has it been done thousands of times?  Absolutely.  I'm just thinking percentages here.

But, that's what makes Glocks great.  If you want that long/heavy DA type pull, you can put in a NY2 trigger and a 8lb connector for about $12 and have exactly what you're looking for in a trigger yet still maintain the 15+1 capacity.

A new shooter needs the fundamentals, which includes a good holster.  Not a trigger that is simply harder to follow through in committing a ND
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#22]
The Glock 19 is IMHO the most versatile combat handgun to date, perfect in so many ways but still affordable to the average shooter

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you realize how many reviews and how balanced Plouffdaddy is?  He isn't just here on this board either.  Let's put it this way.  If he said Glock sucked, I'd at least listen, and respect his opinion.  

Glock #1  He has a point

Had two and got rid of em (17 and 30). traded my 17 for a springfield 1911. trading up is beautiful
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glock #1  He has a point

Had two and got rid of em (17 and 30). traded my 17 for a springfield 1911. trading up is beautiful

. I'd rather have the 30.   More rounds.  More reliable.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You should do a video review giving us your opinion on your Springfield 1911. =D
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Fanboys with their blinders on.  Not everyone likes or should get a Glock.  I tried to like them, felt too uncomfortable, plus I'm not a fan of striker pistols.

Buy and practice what feels comfortable, new and experienced shooters alike.  Simple K-frame .38 is better solution for someone only buying a gun for home protection.
No slide to operate, easy to see shells in cylinder.  No such thing as limp wristing a revolver.  Not ammo sensitive.

Ok, now the Glock worshipers can respond.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Fanboys with their blinders on.  Not everyone likes or should get a Glock.  I tried to like them, felt too uncomfortable, plus I'm not a fan of striker pistols.

Buy and practice what feels comfortable, new and experienced shooters alike.  Simple K-frame .38 is better solution for someone only buying a gun for home protection.
No slide to operate, easy to see shells in cylinder.  No such thing as limp wristing a revolver.  Not ammo sensitive.

Maybe a new gun owner should take the responsibility for knowing slightly more than the minimum to keep holes out of their foot?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#28]
glock more supsetable to ND? its not a GEAR problem. its a software problem w/ the operator of the firearm...its like saying that a sports car is easier to veer off the lane, lets blame the steering instead of the incompetent driver
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't see the connection with a simple revolver and shooting your foot.  Auto pistols (the almighty Glock and lowly others) are not for everyone.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't see the connection with a simple revolver and shooting your foot.  Auto pistols (the almighty Glock and lowly others) are not for everyone.

The point was that revolvers were being recommended because the new shooter would not have to master even basic skills or equipment, and that glocks were not suitable for someone with the same level of gun handling.

The new shooter needs to take the responsibility to learn more than the skills that keep themselves from harming themselves.  And I'd they are to do such, they could step up from the Silly revolver.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You're being obtuse.

The title of this thread doesn't say ALL users.  If you don't like a G19 who cares?

And what if six rounds isn't enough?  Are you suggesting that reloading a revolver is easier and faster under stress than an auto?

You've added nothing to this thread except a weak attempt at trolling.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

[G] Absolutely, I would hate to have a consistent trigger pull, from the first shot to the last...

[R] Yea, 6 shots of anemic .38spl (less powerful than a 9mm) in a bulky, cumbersome revolver that is slow to reload is totally the answer for most people  

Now run along drink your prune juice and take a nap

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top