Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 3:35:25 AM EDT
Once again, I am forced to ask for the wisdom of my fellow ARFCOMMERS.

I have recently been looking at a more concealable, full-power, handgun. I have an XD Sub-compact and it shoots great, but it is too bulky for IWB. I will keep it, but not as my primary carry gun.

I also have a full size Kimber, but I do not like IWB with it, either.

Finally, I have been looking at Officer size and smaller 1911s and have seen a few that I like that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Yesterday, I had the chance to handle a Glock 36. This gun was very thin, flat, and concealable. It had the same capacity as the small 1911s. What is the official opinion of the G36? Is this gun as nice as it seems? I have never been a big Glock fan, but I am willing to try.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:41:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:46:14 AM EDT
[#2]

The only downside is the Glock trigger isn't as nice as a 1911.

ya but the trigger can be worked on.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:30:52 AM EDT
[#3]
g36 is a great ccw weapon if you want something in a compact 45. Simple to operate, easy to break down.  Only 35 parts to the entire gun.

J
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:23:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I too have been looking for something like the G36.  I had an officer and had problems with it, my dad has had both a SA ultra and micro compact and had issues, and they cost more than I have.

There are some times and situations where my Commander does not fit the bill.  So I started looking for something that is a tough carry gun, and is reliable while being hide the damn thing... and affordable to boot.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a Glock 36 until I realized that the higher capacity Glock 30 was only a sliver bigger.

Best concealment gun that I own?   HK M7P8 or the AMT DAO 45.

.... then there's the American Derringer Model 1

Doc @ M&A Parts.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:35:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I had a Glock 36 until I realized that the higher capacity Glock 30 was only a sliver bigger.

Best concealment gun that I own?   HK M7P8 or the AMT DAO 45.

.... then there's the American Derringer Model 1

Doc @ M&A Parts.

I also consider weight to be a factor in a CCW weapon.  I assume have my G36 for that reason alone, in addition to it's slimline design.  As far as the trigger goes.....in a situation where you'd be called to draw your gun, the trigger will be pulled hard and fast at a target(s) <25 yards.  The G36 does this just fine.  The trigger is more than adequate.  No external safety (good), 6 rounds +1 in the pipe (good), night sights (good), and smooth design so it's comfortable to wear around (good).

I think the G36 is an EXCELLENT CCW handgun.  Practice makes perfect.  Sure the 45 kicks some.  But not as much as your target will, provided you know how to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:48:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a G36 and it is ammo sensitive.  Many owners report issues with failures to feed or failures to extract.  Mine has had failures to extract with Winchester White box 230gr FMJ.  I changed ammunition in it (now shoot Remington's 230FMJ) and the problem has gone away.  The chopped off frame of the pistol is a pain in the ass (actually pinky, as it pinches you when you fire it) with the factory magazines.  I tried Pearce +1 magazine extensions and had an occassional failure to feed.  Chucked those and went with the Pearce +0 (stupid name, I know) extensions and now it doesn't bite my finger and it is as concealable as the factory floor plates.  They are much better than the factory plates.  

I highly recommend you try one before you buy one.  Glocks are sensitive to limp wristing, as I am sure you know.  This one seems particular so.  I have NO problems with my Glock G20 with hot loads, but if you don't stay on top of the G36 you can have trouble.  The first sign of a trouble coming for me is when the empty brass hits me in the forehead.  

I really like the pistol, but I have reservations about the reliability of it- for me.  Some people would say I shouldn't blame the pistol, but geez.  I need something that works reliably- I have a decade + of shooting 1911s with ZERO problems of this type.  I have never had a problem with anything else like this.  I am considering messing with the (factory) spring weight of the recoil spring.  It seems pretty soft in that department compared to my 1911 Commanders.  

The G36 really does have a lot to offer when it comes to size, weight, and of course caliber.  The pistol is reasonably accurate and I enjoy it.  Recoil is not really nasty in the pistol once you get it to stop biting you with the grip extensions.    

Bottom line: try before you buy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#8]
This is great info! Keep it coming.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer th G30.  10+1 and not that much bigger than the G36.  I carry mine 24/7/365.  It eats everything and I have never had one problem with it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a G36. I think it's a great carry gun.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Be careful with asking advice here, you'll get the masters of the obvious, "Rent it out and try it." , "Get the one you like."  or "Its only money..."  You know, stupid shit like that.

I'm shopping for a G30 myself.  10 rounds of .45 acp in such a small package sounds awesome.  Its almost half the cost of a tricked out 1911 Officer size pistol and without the need for "tuning" etc.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm selling mine in the EE. The only reason I'm selling it that I prefer my G27 for CCW. But I carried it for a year or so without any problems and had none of the ammo issues. The G36 is really light and very comfortable and concealable.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:50:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Be careful with asking advice here, you'll get the masters of the obvious, "Rent it out and try it." , "Get the one you like."  or "Its only money..."  You know, stupid shit like that.

I'm shopping for a G30 myself.  10 rounds of .45 acp in such a small package sounds awesome.  Its almost half the cost of a tricked out 1911 Officer size pistol and without the need for "tuning" etc.

Good luck.

I think the G36 has the advantage though with weight.  The 10+1 rounds versus 6+1 makes a big difference walking around all day with a handgun on your person.  I don't know about you, but I've carried high cap guns around for weeks at a time and eventually swore it off.  If I can't get myself out of hot water with a handful of well placed shots from my G36....I'm probably in a circumstance where 10+1 won't help me either.  A CCW handgun should exist to 'get you out of Dodge.'  If you're looking to carry a shitload of rounds....well.....to each his own I suppose.  That's why there's so many choices and options out there.

CCW means it's concealed.  It should also be comfortable.  Granted its no big deal if you're just going to the store and back.  Go for the G30.  But if you're gonna make a habit of carrying your CCW around all day long for the forseeable future....

you'll eventually see my 'obvious' point.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:58:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I've never had a problem with any fte/ftf with 155/185/220g
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:11:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I shot a couple of G30's, The grip shape is wrong for me.  Someone else said it best, it is not that the grip is too big, it is too square.  

I looked at a Colt Defender, Couple of hundred more (that I don't have), and from what owners are telling me, you have to replace the spring unit every 300 to 500 rounds.  And the only source for the unit is Colt at $30 something a pop.  

I don't mean to hijack but if I may add to the question...  I am looking for a carry gun as a tool.  The Tool is only as good as it support system.  What about the holsters for the G36, is there a good selection of IWB for the G36?  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:21:18 AM EDT
[#16]
plenty actually.

I have a Fobus holster that keeps it close to my hip outside the pants....and I also have an inside the pants Uncle Mike's sleeve that works great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top