Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 6:44:19 PM EDT
i don't have night sights on any of my pistols. my brother has them on his beretta 92 and they are "cool" but i am not sure if i need them on my next pistol. how many of your pistols have night sights and do you think they are a must have?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
if you're using the pistol for self-defense, then yes. considering most encounters you will need a handgun in take place in low light conditions, it's not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If it is a defensive pistol I would recomend nite sights along with a hand held light like a Sure Fire.  That way you can see your target and sights.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHO if its too dark to see the sights then its too dark to see your target and you have no business shooting what you can't see.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#4]
It's really cool to look over at the nightstand late at night and see 3 tritium dots glowing.

Think of it as a 'night light' for adults......
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#5]
If its dark, and you are far enough from your target to need sights to hit it, would you still shoot?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If it is a defensive pistol I would recomend nite sights along with a hand held light like a Sure Fire.  That way you can see your target and sights.

Bingo!

Yes, tritum sights do have some very real advantages. While it is all well and good to make comments about not shooting if you cannot ID your target...technically correct by the way...You do not need to know his shoe size to make a "positive ID"...if the guy is in your house, or in your face, and threatening you with a weapon...or better yet, has fired shots...he is damned well identified!

NS's really "shine"...pun not intended...in low light or rapidly changing light conditions, and especially in traffic stops for LEOs as well as home defense situations. They are most definitely worth the bucks!

AND be sure to also get and have available a good useable flashlight like the smaller SureFires...again, well worth the price for home defense use.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#7]
NSs are nice but ,if you really look at most defensive shootings  the distance between the shooter and the target  are so close that you will never get a chance  to bring your sightes up. The shootings i've worked here  90% of them are at less than 5 yards. They happen so quickly it's mostly  hip shooting or point shooting. JMO from my experience.

J
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#8]
yes, simple answer
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the jury is still out on this one.  It can't hurt to have them but for average joe carry, I'll say it's probably not a priority.  If you want em, get em.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If its dark, and you are far enough from your target to need sights to hit it, would you still shoot?

depends on your living situation.  (assuming we are talking about in your home)
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
IMHO if its too dark to see the sights then its too dark to see your target and you have no business shooting what you can't see.

This is not correct.  The shooter and target are not always illuminated equally.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is not correct.  The shooter and target are not always illuminated equally.  

Exactly.  If you're smart (and the situation allows), you're sticking to the shadows.  It's nice to have sights that provide their own illumination.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It's really cool to look over at the nightstand late at night and see 3 tritium dots glowing.

Yes gives you a nice warm feeling seeing them dots, when you here a bump in the night.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

depends on your living situation.  (assuming we are talking about in your home)

If we are talking inside my home, I could hit them with a rock with some degree of accuracy

Glow-dots can't hurt anything so if they make you feel better, get them. As suggested here a flashlight would be useful, but this is ar15.com so get both!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:58:20 AM EDT
[#16]
FWIW, I keep my (tritium wearing) nightstand piece in one of those holsters with the extra mag pouch on the front strap, except the pouch carries a surefire 6P instead of a magazine.  Keeps everything where I can grab and go.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:49:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
i don't have night sights on any of my pistols. my brother has them on his beretta 92 and they are "cool" but i am not sure if i need them on my next pistol. how many of your pistols have night sights and do you think they are a must have?

Save the money you would spend on night sights and put it toward getting a laser aiming device for your handgun instead. (I remember a earlier post from you asking about where to buy a glock, so if you're going to get a glock, get either the M-6 or the Lasermaxx)

Depending on what gun you have, get either a crimson trace laser grip, a lasermaxx guide rod laser, or a surefire M-6 laser/illuminator.

Much more effective than night sights and will scare the piss out of anyone who you light up with it. It has the same psychological effect as someone who racks the pump on a pump shotgun.

Anyone who has half a brain knows to stop what they're doing and submit to your demands when you put that little red dot on their chest.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:55:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#19]
if you can afford them, get em!  they are not a liability under any circumstances.

that being said, if i'm far enough away to need my sights, i'm probably going to jail if i pull the trigger.

+1 on the light.  get a $30 surefire and PRACTICE with it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I find the dots to be handy, but get a good Surefire light first.  And if you go Tritium, don't go cheap.  Find a good smith to install the part.  Also, make sure the zero with the dots is the same as the zero with the normal sight picture.  :(
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#22]
thanks for the info. i am not a noobie i just never had a pistol with night sights. for you funny guys i am sure you would shit and cum in your pants if you saw my "noobie" collection.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
thanks for the info. i am not a noobie i just never had a pistol with night sights. for you funny guys i am sure you would shit and cum in your pants if you saw my "noobie" collection.

Ok so you're a night sight noobie then. Everyone's a noobie at something.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:09:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Can't hurt, might help.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
www.birdman.org/images/hnsbig.jpg

Jesus, I hate Birdman.  They make the stupidest shit.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo!

Yes, tritum sights do have some very real advantages. While it is all well and good to make comments about not shooting if you cannot ID your target...technically correct by the way...You do not need to know his shoe size to make a "positive ID"...if the guy is in your house, or in your face, and threatening you with a weapon...or better yet, has fired shots...he is damned well identified!

NS's really "shine"...pun not intended...in low light or rapidly changing light conditions, and especially in traffic stops for LEOs as well as home defense situations. They are most definitely worth the bucks!

AND be sure to also get and have available a good useable flashlight like the smaller SureFires...again, well worth the price for home defense use.

If he is "in your face" you are not going to be using sights anyway... you will be point shooting.  

If he is in your house there is probably enuf light to see regular sights.  

That being said I have night sights on my carry gun, but it already had them when I bought it ... I have an XD, and a Rossi that do not yet have sights... and I have done a LOT of point shooting drills with both the glock and XD... anyone that does not do point shooting drills is asking to get themselves killed in a gunfight.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes gives you a nice warm feeling seeing them dots, when you here a bump in the night.

That "warm feeling" is probably the piss running down you leg!

Im sorry... i couldnt resist.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:24:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.birdman.org/images/hnsbig.jpg

Wes: You have a problem with me thinking that was funny? If you do, tough.  If not, don't worry about it. I really don't care.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top