Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2011 9:33:29 AM EDT
So I'm going to pick your collected brains out there.
A question was asked of me what handgun did the CIA issue to their officers in the 1950's?
.38 snub noses, PP or PPKs, M1911A1?

Any help would be great.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Trick question. The CIA doesn't issue handguns.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#2]
An official issue handgun would be a glaring sign screaming "I'M CIA".
When needed a firearm appropriate to where the agent was working would be used.
Remember too, CIA agents aren't themselves spy's.  They recruit and run spy's.  CIA agents are typically posing as diplomatic officials with diplomatic immunity.  As such a gun is not needed, and would be actually a danger to the agent.

With that said, individual CIA personnel had a "thing" for the Walther PPK in the 50's and 60's.
One former official said that the diplomatic bag from Germany was usually full of new Walther PPK pistols requested by Washington CIA personnel.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.
So the CIA does not issue weapons, officers just pick up/request what they need?
I did not know this.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
FBI and Hoover, 38 chiefs special maybe?
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.
So the CIA does not issue weapons, officers just pick up/request what they need?
I did not know this.

Dave

CIA field operatives, the the terms of what most folks think of as "a spy" are either guys posing as foreign service officers doing embassy work while working local assets (Case Officers), in which case weapons are not warranted or allowed, or they are Special Activities Officers who are true paramilitary assets doing nasty things to (generally) nasty people. These are the guys that are usually former very high-speed low-drag military types, they use generally available weapons in the area of operation because they are deniable.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Uncle had a Mauser HSc.  Had issues with it and went to a Walther PPK.

rongorongo
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
FBI and Hoover, 38 chiefs special maybe?

First issue for the FBI was Colt Official Police.  Smith Model 10 four inch followed.  Then the Model 13 three inch.  If memory serves they were allowed personal revolvers as well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#8]
For a period of time, the "in" pistol at the FBI was a 2 1/2" Colt Python.
If you remember the old TV show about the FBI, star Efrem Zembalist carried a Python.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I was an intelligence officer for 22 years and had many dealings with the CIA. They didnt issue any common handguns but the one pistol  I encountered more than any other was the Browning Hi Power. Of course this was mostly back in the 80s and 90s and I cant speak for today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top