Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2004 7:33:25 PM EDT
I want to put a 9mm barrel in my SIG P229 .40 S&W. The only drop in replacement I am aware of is from Bar-sto. Please point me in the direction of some other possiblities. Keep in mind that a 9mm barrel in a 40 cal slide needs to have an outside diameter that fits the 40 cal "barrel hole", for lack of a better term.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input. I know of no other place to get a 9-for-a-40 as they call it, so I think I will order one from Bar-sto.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I was just talking to a gunsmith friend of mine who told me to watch for two things:

1) The extractor claw in my P229 is designed for a .40 cal and it may not reliably grab the rim of a 9mm round, which has a tighter circumference.

2) The ejector is set at an optimal point to push out a .40 cal round and the 9mm cartridge may be a problem since it is narrower than a .40.

Both of these observations seem reasonable to me. Does anyone have any comments?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:23:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Why don't you buy a .357 sig barrel. The .357 sig requires a barrel change only. I think to go from .40 to 9mm you have to change the slide,barrel and mag. You would be better off buying a new gun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:09:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Bar-sto makes 9mm barrels to fit the slide of the .40 cal, so all that is needed are the barrel and new mags. The ammo for .357 SIG is expensive and I don't want to go that route. I could buy a new gun if I want to, but I thought I would investigate a barrel swap first.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#6]
To answer your question: Olympic Arms also makes pistol barrels in alternate calibers.  I performed this same experiment with a Glock 22 (.40 cal) with a 9mm replacement barrel and magazines.  It worked somewhat and the accuracy was good.  However, it wasn't reliable enough for defense so I returned the barrel.  Bottom line: For defense purposes either buy a complete slide with barrel, magazines, etc, or just buy another pistol in your other caliber and know that it will work.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Bar-sto, Nowlin & Wilson are the best bbl mfgrs, IMO in reverse order. I don't think Wilson normally makes your caliber so that narrows it to the other two. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other there, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Bar-sto makes 9mm barrels to fit the slide of the .40 cal, so all that is needed are the barrel and new mags. The ammo for .357 SIG is expensive and I don't want to go that route. I could buy a new gun if I want to, but I thought I would investigate a barrel swap first.

I would also like to add that since the 357Sig is in performance very close to that of a 357Rem Mag, it also has some of it's draw backs. I was shooting next to a guy with 357Sig and boy was it LOUD, just like a 357Rem Mag revolver. I was wearing both muffs and plugs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
To answer your question: Olympic Arms also makes pistol barrels in alternate calibers.  I performed this same experiment with a Glock 22 (.40 cal) with a 9mm replacement barrel and magazines.  It worked somewhat and the accuracy was good.  However, it wasn't reliable enough for defense so I returned the barrel.  Bottom line: For defense purposes either buy a complete slide with barrel, magazines, etc, or just buy another pistol in your other caliber and know that it will work.

Your observations are right in line with my gunsmith's. I think the one-gun two-barrel solution is not as attractive as I thought it might be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top