Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 3:30:35 PM EDT
When you guys ccw, do you act the same as if you were on duty or is it less relaxed?
heres the thing, since that night we got followed, i remember that i was more aware of everything that was around me then this one time at work.
We had a drunk try and come on the base, as i was checking his ID, i didnt notice other SP's walking out of the shack just right behind me, but that night, when we got followed, i remember close to everything that was going on around me when i reached for my gun.

just seemed weird.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess I missed your story, but I will answer your question. I "act" the same both on and off duty, as far as constantly being aware of my surroundings/enviroment. It's to the point where I can't go anywhere without running into someone I've arrested or had to deal with at one time or another.

It's a trade off. On duty I'm cruising in a big, white, rolling target. Off duty, I don't have the simple things that would make a big difference...like my vest and radio.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#2]
what i meant was,
at work im more focused on whats goin on in front of me, xpecting certain people behind me to be there with out making sure they are
and when i was alone trying to retrieve my weapon from the car i was more aware of my surroundings, who was where and doing what
i guess because i knew in the back of my mind i would be alone if anything did happen.

heres the story of what happened that night.
the first time i was glad i brought my ccw (SW99 .40/10+1) is when my gf took me to her friends b-day party in boston,
it stayed in the car parked outside her friends house. the b-day girls boyfriend cut this guy off and he followed us back
to their place in quincy, i was sitting behind him and said, it would be good to pull up to my car, as i got out the car, the car drove past,
i looked at the driver, he stopped, just as i opened the door and grabbed it, i dont know if the guy saw me take it out
of the holster and raise it behind my back or not but he drove away.
of course my gf started yellin at me cause she didnt know i took with me but everyone else was pretty happy that i did.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends where and how you work.  Many PD's you have a buddy/partner so there is some feeling of safety since you have someone there watching your back.  For me, personally, in NYPD Transit you usually work by yourself, so my guard is always up.  When I approach perp(s) I always take notice of where I'm standing, where they're standing, can they escape, can I escape, etc.  I remember when I first started, standing alone on a NYC Subway platform some time after midnight, wondering if I made the right career move.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#4]
you should post this in the LE forum
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#5]
i will, but,
ill leave this here cause it does fall into ccw.
i just felt different trying to gain control (as a civi) before something happened,
then at work, already having the control in uniform.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top