Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you using 10 round mags with a follower marked 2183?

They can sometimes cause feeding problems with the round hitting low on the feedramp.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad to hear it Bob!  Now, if you want a second opinion, my offer is still on the table
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#3]
originally yes, but when i sent it back to glock the first time, i received new mags and was still having the same problem.  after the gun was left open is when i am finally getting correct cycling, so far.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Glad to hear it Bob!  Now, if you want a second opinion, my offer is still on the table

:)
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#5]
9mm Glocks require a FIRM grip when firing, especially when the recoil spring is new.  I get brass in the face from my 17 when I loosen up.  Also, 9mm range fodder is pretty weak.  +P should run fine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
9mm Glocks require a FIRM grip when firing, especially when the recoil spring is new.  I get brass in the face from my 17 when I loosen up.  Also, 9mm range fodder is pretty weak.  +P should run fine.

definately have the firm grip, no questions about that.  i will probably just start to shoot +p through it all the time, since that is what i will have in it when it is next to my bed in case of the unthinkable, and i don't want to be off because i am use to shooting regular and then when the sh!t hits the fan the +p has quite a bit more recoil.  i need all the advantages i can get because if it came down to that point when i need it to save my and my families life,  i would be sh!tting myself.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Looking at your pictures, whats up with all the brass on your breechface?

Based on this pic alone, Id say your slide is cycling faster thas your magazine springs are able to feed the next  round.  Either that or something is out of spec on the mags.

bfvmaps.sytes.net/glock/jam002.jpg

...Or the magazine catch location could be out of spec on the frame
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I have lots of G17 recoil spring assemblies laying around that you can try. All of mine have been replaced with Wolff guide rods and springs. It's great having the ability to tune things.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks again for the offers, just out of curiosity, what does one benefit from changing the recoil spring/guide rod?

i might send fax them over a letter regarding what you said melbo9, and i will ask for 3 "normal capacity" mags.  that would take care of it for me :)
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
looks like we may have turned the corner in the right direction with this thing.  with my schedule so busy i gave it back to my friend who shoots quite often and game him the 250 rounds.  he knows this gun's history as he has fired it in the past.  he went ahead and pulled the slide back and left it open for a couple days and then took it out to shoot.  he said he had a couple of jams in the beginning of shooting the first couple mags, then was able to shoot 100+ rounds without a hiccup. ;)  we are waiting for some +p we ordered, but it looks as though it is loosening up and that might have been the the problem.

i also contacted glock and received verification from them that shooting +p is no problem with their weapons.

thanks again for all the suggestions and offers to help me out with this, this is an excellent forum :)

i will keep you updated after the +ps are shot :)

+ps have been shot and the damn thing jams horribly again, trouble feeding, trouble extracting... this is after about 300+ rnds with 100 being +ps since i got it back from glock.  i know for a short time it iseemed to be working, but the jams are back, don't know why but they are.  seems like one type of a failure or another 40% of the time.  i just think the gun is a lemon, and i am so fed up with it that i am writing a letter to glock hoping to either get a replacement or my $$ back.  extremely disappointed :(  i will never trust this gun :(
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#12]
You got a lemon, call Glock monday and tell them what's been going on and that you want a replacement.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:58:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
looks like we may have turned the corner in the right direction with this thing.  with my schedule so busy i gave it back to my friend who shoots quite often and game him the 250 rounds.  he knows this gun's history as he has fired it in the past.  he went ahead and pulled the slide back and left it open for a couple days and then took it out to shoot.  he said he had a couple of jams in the beginning of shooting the first couple mags, then was able to shoot 100+ rounds without a hiccup. ;)  we are waiting for some +p we ordered, but it looks as though it is loosening up and that might have been the the problem.

i also contacted glock and received verification from them that shooting +p is no problem with their weapons.

thanks again for all the suggestions and offers to help me out with this, this is an excellent forum :)

i will keep you updated after the +ps are shot :)

+ps have been shot and the damn thing jams horribly again, trouble feeding, trouble extracting... this is after about 300+ rnds with 100 being +ps since i got it back from glock.  i know for a short time it iseemed to be working, but the jams are back, don't know why but they are.  seems like one type of a failure or another 40% of the time.  i just think the gun is a lemon, and i am so fed up with it that i am writing a letter to glock hoping to either get a replacement or my $$ back.  extremely disappointed :(  i will never trust this gun :(

Wow. That sucks man. Sorry to hear it.

Yeah, send it back and lets see if Glock's vaunted customer service is really all it is cracked up to be.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#14]
getting a new glock :)  and they are taking care of the shipping back to them :)  :)
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
getting a new glock :)  and they are taking care of the shipping back to them :)  :)

KICK-ASS!  

Good for you man!  It's nice to hear they are taking that problem back and getting you a new one.  We expect a full report and pictures when it arrives.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#16]
called them today to ask when i should expect it as i sent it back to them on 10/6.  1-2weeks, they said they were out at the moment and were going doing another run of 17s then.....
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Glad to hear you are being taken care of.  I came to the thread late, but I can assure that what you experienced is atypical of Glock 17s.  I took my G17 right out of the box, and with no cleaning or lube, shot about 1200 rounds through it in the course of a month.  It never suffered a stoppage or malfunction, and still hasn't after thousands more rounds.

Let us know how your new pistol works!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What brand of ammo are using? Have you tried other brands? Try letting a buddy shooting it, seems to me you maybe limp wristing it.

My old indoor range had a Glock 17 that went 750,000, broke the slide at 500,000. Super reliable.

Good luck, let know what you find out.

i have tried atleast 5 different typs of ammo and atleast 3 different people that have no problems shooting glocks shoot it.  hell, even when i have shot their glocks, i don't have any problems.  i am going to give my buddy some of my hydrashocks to see if they work any better, but like others have posted i am going to try to get glock to give me a new pistol, as this one has only about 150 rounds through, since it is so irritating.  it has sat in my closet for about 6 years because it just isn't fun to shoot.

Glock probably won't give you a new pistol... the warranty only lasts for one year.

ETA: Nevermind.... obviously you are going to receive a new gun.... congrats.... I didn't think GLOCK's customer service would be that good to you.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You keep saying 5 different types. Please be specific. Glocks like hot ammo. Try some 124 grian Golden Saber, 124 grain Speer +p golddots, +p+ 127 grain Ranger rounds. For ball try some Value pack Winchester White box. Are the 5 different types of ammo all 147 grain loads. These loads have a little less energy to work the slide with. If you try 5 different types of crap ammo you will still get crap results. From thepictures it looks like the slide is short stroking. The most common cause for this is underpowered ammo and limp wristing.
Pat

I have always fired standard Remington UMC and speer lawman FMJ through my Glocks without a single malfucntion..... they have never required hot ammo.  His pistol is just fucked!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#20]
they told me they would "switch it out for a new one".  i guess i will just wait and see.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#21]
i received my new 17 today and it is indeed a brand new one, newest generation.  the two spent cases(cci) they sent with it are dated 10/15/04, so it seems brand spankin' new.  also received 2 of the normal capacity (17rnd) mags with it. :)  i am pretty happy although it has taken some time.  hopefully this one will not have any issues...  need to go to the range :)
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#22]
for future reference i believe 200 rds is pretty much standard break in on pistols.  i had a g20 which hiccuped for 5-700 rds and then it ran like a swiss watch.  glad everything worked out!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
i received my new 17 today and it is indeed a brand new one, newest generation.  the two spent cases(cci) they sent with it are dated 10/15/04, so it seems brand spankin' new.  also received 2 of the normal capacity (17rnd) mags with it. :)  i am pretty happy although it has taken some time.  hopefully this one will not have any issues...  need to go to the range :)

EXCELLENT!  Glad to hear it, make sure you give us a range report.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#24]
i haven't been able to get out to shoot, so i gave it to a buddy of mine since he was heading to the range.  he said the first mag jammed a couple of times and then he shot another 10 mags(17rnds each) through it without a single problem :)  looking good :)
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
i haven't been able to get out to shoot, so i gave it to a buddy of mine since he was heading to the range.  he said the first mag jammed a couple of times and then he shot another 10 mags(17rnds each) through it without a single problem :)  looking good :)

Good deal!  My G17 had one stovepipe in the first mag but after that she's been perfect.  I will start to loosen up after she gets 1500 through the pipe.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Just keep in mind Glocks require good grip, stance and elbows locked.  Most 9mm range ammo is weak, I've never had a problem with +P stuff even with a loose grip.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Just keep in mind Glocks require good grip, stance and elbows locked.  Most 9mm range ammo is weak, I've never had a problem with +P stuff even with a loose grip.

thanks for the info, all things you mentioned are montiored very closely and we are shooting +P currently.  we are not limp wristing it and we have shot other glocks without incident.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#28]
This limp wristing thing baffles me, though I believe people who say it happens.

I can shoot low power Winchester White Box or American Eagle 9mm out of my G17 and G26, while holding the gun so loose it flops in my hand on each shot.  I've deliberately tried limp wristing on multiple occassions, without success.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
This limp wristing thing baffles me, though I believe people who say it happens.

I can shoot low power Winchester White Box or American Eagle 9mm out of my G17 and G26, while holding the gun so loose it flops in my hand on each shot.  I've deliberately tried limp wristing on multiple occassions, without success.

I've done the same thing.  Hand it to my brother and it jams.    Grip stance and elbows.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Knees, elbows, wrists, fingers, tittys... what ever!!!

I have a Glock 19 with THOUSANDS of rounds thru it, and has been fired by everyone from me, to my wife, my 8 year old daughter, and a number of my friends.  Even a few guys at the range who I have let put a few mags thru it...

Its never jammed.  

The whole "limpwrist a Glock and it jams" is a bunch of hooey (read horse feathers, malarkie, bunk, bullshit, etc...).  

If you have a Glock that jams, send it back to Glock and they will fix it for you.  If youre not a gunsmith dont try to fix it yourself... just send it back.  

More than likely they wont even charge you.  When it comes back it will work fine... if you have lost confidence in it, sell it and get yourself something else.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Knees, elbows, wrists, fingers, tittys... what ever!!!

I have a Glock 19 with THOUSANDS of rounds thru it, and has been fired by everyone from me, to my wife, my 8 year old daughter, and a number of my friends.  Even a few guys at the range who I have let put a few mags thru it...

Its never jammed.  

The whole "limpwrist a Glock and it jams" is a bunch of hooey (read horse feathers, malarkie, bunk, bullshit, etc...).  

If you have a Glock that jams, send it back to Glock and they will fix it for you.  If youre not a gunsmith dont try to fix it yourself... just send it back.  

More than likely they wont even charge you.  When it comes back it will work fine... if you have lost confidence in it, sell it and get yourself something else.  

You've never had a jam so limp wristing must be hooey huh?  yeah....ok
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:16:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Can a pistol jam from limp wristing?  Well sure... I guess.  Any pistol could I suppose.  But all this bunk about GLOCKS REQUIRE AN IRON GRIP OR THEY WILL ALL JAM is indeed a bunch of hooey

I took both my Glock and my XD out one day with NateM4 a few weeks ago and we held the pistols with two fingers pushing the trigger with one finger of the other hand TRYING to get one of them to jam ... it does not get more limp wristed than that.  

You know what?  Neither of them jammed.  IF Glocks are so prone to jamming... why doesnt mine?  Or my XD?  Or my G17?  Or my HK?

If Glocks are so "shooter specific"  (and by that I mean jamming for one person, not for another) why have so many people shot my Glock with no problems?

LIke I said... the whole "glocks jam with limp wristed shooters" is indeed HOOEY!  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:19:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Oh... and one more thing...

75% or more of what I shoot is that "so underpowered it will jam a glock and will be lucky if it makes it out of the barrel" Winchest White Box ammo.  

IF the glock and wwb ammo makes such a horrid combo why does it function so flawlessly in mine?  

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:57:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a Glock 23 that I bought used.  I have never had a single jam in 1000 rounds.  This includes about 10 different shooters, and half were women.  Some of the girls that shot it were as limp wristed as I have ever seen, and still no problems.   This was all with Walmart winchester white box ammo.

The only time I have ever seen shooting grip effect cycling was a friend's berretta 92.  He doesn't take great care of his guns, and it hadn't been cleaned in 1000+ rounds.  It was so dirty that there was a slight delay between when the slide came back from firing and when it  moved forward to chamber the round.  After I throughly cleaned it, the problem was gone.

Hope you have better luck with your new 17.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:06:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Bob:

There was clearly a serious issue with that first Glock. Glocks should not jam right out of the box and shouldn't require in breaking in to solve issues on the order of what you guys were talking about. Every so often as with any product you'll get a lemon. Production flaws are inevitable at some point. I think that is what happened here. Congrats on the new Glock! I think you'll be fine with it.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Bob:

There was clearly a serious issue with that first Glock. Glocks should not jam right out of the box and shouldn't require in breaking in to solve issues on the order of what you guys were talking about. Every so often as with any product you'll get a lemon. Production flaws are inevitable at some point. I think that is what happened here. Congrats on the new Glock! I think you'll be fine with it.

thanks, i am really looking forward to start shooting it and gain some respect for it and also have faith in it.  a lot of people have asked me why i haven't just sold it and went with either a kimber, hk, beretta or taurus, but i really like the glock safety system.  nothing to worry about, if there is one in the hole, you don't need to worry about a safety thus truely treating it as loaded and ready to go.   no f*cking around.  nice and simple.  i truely hope this one is the one that works.

anybody have an experience with compensators on them?  who is the best?

thanks
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top