Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2005 6:36:15 AM EDT
"Listen to Bill Laughridge, who said to me, 'Tell your readers in all caps, DON'T USE +P IN HI-POWERS! It's been my experience that even a few magazines of +P will upset the locking lugs.'"

I am new to the Hi-Power...just bought a MkIII from a cash-strapped friend. My 9mm carry load is the 115gr +p+ Speer Gold Dot from Georgia Arms. Would I be looking for trouble firing that round (400-500 rounds a year) in a Hi-Power?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
"Listen to Bill Laughridge, who said to me, 'Tell your readers in all caps, DON'T USE +P IN HI-POWERS! It's been my experience that even a few magazines of +P will upset the locking lugs.'"

Would I be looking for trouble firing that round (400-500 rounds a year) in a Hi-Power?

Seems like you already had your answer???????  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think so and I don't believe Stephen Camp does either.  See Stephen Camp.

--
Mike
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, as one who owns a nice Browning HP Practical model & shoots a lot of handguns thru the year, I wouldn't consider shooting +P in any alloy frame handgun. If *I* need +P, I would go to a bigger caliber, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Then could someone explain to me how they fire Euro spec 9mm in them all the time? Thats +P. The Brits and Canadians seem to have no trouble with it....
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:41:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well, as one who owns a nice Browning HP Practical model & shoots a lot of handguns thru the year, I wouldn't consider shooting +P in any alloy frame handgun. If *I* need +P, I would go to a bigger caliber, IMO.

My .o2

1. FN\Browning HP's are not alloy framed (They are steel)
2. The HP frame was beefed up when they introduced the .40S&W (both .40S&W and 9mm HPs use the same frame). Parts of the slide were beefed up too. IMO, If it can handle the 40S&W, then it can handle +P 9mm.
3. Considering how many rounds Stephen Camp has put through his multiple HP's over a large number of years, I tend to take his opinion on this subject over anybody else's. He has fired a lot of +P rounds through a number of HP's with no ill effects at all (spend a few minutes reading the link that mbott posted)
4. For added insurance, install a 18.5# recoil spring and a Shok-Buffer
5. IMO - I can see no reason to feed any handgun a steady diet of +P ammo? If you want to carry +P then sure, you need to test it for function in your weapon and compare POA to POI. After that, most practicing can be just as effectively accomplished using standard velocity ammo with only the occasional mag or two of the +P stuff just to reverify functionality and POI.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Many thanks for your replies. I just noted in my original post that I said "400-500 rounds of +p+ a year." I meant to say "400-500 rounds to check reliability" and use standard ball from then on.

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Many thanks for your replies. I just noted in my original post that I said "400-500 rounds of +p+ a year." I meant to say "400-500 rounds to check reliability" and use standard ball from then on.

Personally, I doubt you'd need that many to check reliability. I would think 100-150rds with no failures would do me. YMMV.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top