Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 7:25:21 PM EDT
I just received a new, factory magazine for my 1980's Browning Hi-Power.

I have a copy of a great Browning Magazine FAQ published with pictures from the Internet. Using that resource, I recently discovered that my Browning did not come with a factory magazine when sold new to me, the mag probably having been switched for a FN military magazine by the unscrupulous dealer. I understand that magazine switching has happened over the years with disturbing frequency.

Anyway, after the 1994 ban lifted, I promised myself to purchase just one honest factory magazine. Just a purist, I guess.

So when Browning factory magazines began to show up lately with a number of dealers, I ordered one.
I looked at it now, and it has the “LEO use only” stamp on it. BUT the picture & description of the mag in the vendor’s web site did not show or mention is was a LEO/1994 Ban magazine.

This may not matter to many of you, but I just don’t feel comfortable with it.
Am I going to have some unforseen problem with it in the future?
Will some uneducated cop claim I have contraband and create a hassle?
Will I have to keep the receipt for in indefinitely?
Being a customized pistol, it never needed the mousetrap spring before, and it looks like a great way to trap lint & dirt.
Finally, I just don’t like a reminder of the dark days of Klinton sitting in the mag well of a fine, pre-ban gun.

Should the distributer have described the mag as being marked? What do you think?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm assuming it was new and advertised as so.

I don't think it's a big deal as long as it was "new" like you thought.

It would be nice if the dealer made mention of the LEO only stamp, but it certainly isn't wrong of him not to. He isn't required by law to do so, it should function just the same.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:18:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought 3 NIW factory mags from CDNN.  Though they were in the FN wrapper, and I trust the good people at CDNN, mine had absolutley no markings on them.  I would take an LEO marked one any day over these.  You definitely do not have to worry about a cop thinking it's contraband.  It's simply not illegal, and I don't know too many cops who would make an arrest or seizure on something they don't know about.  Then again, you are in Mo.  Just kidding of course.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:21:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Cops are generally smart enough to know it has to do with the ban and that the ban has expired. I have a mag marked the same way, and almost bought an AR marked the same way on the side of the mag well.  The letters on it were filled in with white paint.  That was the only reason I was going to buy it.  But luckily some guy bought it before me and returned it after 300 rounds due to several failures.  Glad I didn't buy it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Hi Power in April and the two mags that came with it are marked:

"Restricted Law Enforcement"
"Govt use and/or Expote only 9-14-94"

They are the ones with the "rat trap" spring. Being a mag whore, I called Browning to pick up another couple. The lady said they would have them in July, which then stretched to Sept. They are marked made in Italy. slow boat, I guess. She originally said she could give me the names of some dealers who might have some, but I didn't want to run up a big LD bill so I opted to wait. I'm calling her again this week to see what's up. May call the dealers anyway.

There are a lot of things to worry about in this world. Your mags aren't one of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top