BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2012 4:29:03 PM EDT
Thinking about a HP or clone and am pricing out mags. I like how cheap 9mm is
right now and have always liked the HP.

Any aftermarket mags to avoid? I see the Mec Gars and Pro mags aplenty. Any
complaints on those?

Whats up with the 15 rounders? Do they fit HP's and clones?

TIA.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I've yet to have good luck with the extended mags- like the 30 rounders.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Browning
FN
MecGar
Argie Military

All the above are good. Anything else - roll the dice
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The mec gars are gtg but don't have the rat trap to drop the mags free.  

I've tried the surplus argy mags and they seem to work pretty good.

Argentine mags are a mixed bunch. First time I ordered 4 mags from CDNN they worked great (some had pitting issues and the exterior). Second batch I ordered about 6 months back were garbage, couldn't barely load them half way before they would bind up and there was nothing inside the mag that would do that other then bad springs/followers. I am sticking with mecgar from now on.

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Argentine mags are a mixed bunch. First time I ordered 4 mags from CDNN they worked great (some had pitting issues and the exterior). Second batch I ordered about 6 months back were garbage, couldn't barely load them half way before they would bind up and there was nothing inside the mag that would do that other then bad springs/followers. I am sticking with mecgar from now on.

I had mixed results with a KCI (Argy military) mag from CDNN as well.  I stick to the factory FN/Browning and Mec-Gar mags now.  I also have some Indian military magazines from long ago that I use at the range and they seem quite good, too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#6]
SImilar experience here as well.

I've had no issues with Browning/FN mags or with Mec-Gar magazines.

Pretty much every thing else I've tried, I've regretted.  Some others may work well initially, but they won't hang in there over the long term.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy OEM Brownings with the mousetrap spring or MecGars and be done with it.

Everything else is suspect at some level.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If you remove the magazine safety you don't need the rat trap.

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I've stuck with the 13-round Mec Gar's and have never looked back.

I know that the 15-round magazines will work, but I've standardized on the Mec Gar 13's and would bet my life on them.  My 2 cents ...
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 3:35:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you remove the magazine safety you don't need the rat trap.  

I still do.  No idea why but even with the mag safety removed I need the rat trap to predictably drop the mags free.http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii245/mcculver5/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwMTAyLTAwMDUxLmpwZw.jpg

Dirty dirty girl after a few hundred rounds trying out the 9mm conversion barrel on the .40 frame/slide.

Check the rear flat spring. I know thats the reason mags dont drop free in one of my HP's that has the mag safety delete.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 3:55:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't use the Browning spring assisted  mags anymore after the base pads would unseat themselves after seating the mag.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Pro-Mag = Pure-Crap

Also stay away from;

USA Mag
Triple- K
KCI

Frankly, I only use factory mags, Mec-Gar and military surplus (genuine not "Asian Military").
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My MecGars all drop free but my mag safety has been removed.
I have crappy luck with the 17 round mags.  I`d say stick with Browning or MecGars.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought some 10rds off Auction Arms, they were supposed to be Mec-Gar, but they're not. I don't know what brand I ended up with, they are unmarked, but they are noisy!! they rattle like a baby's rattle, whether they are loaded or empty.

I haven't shot with them, but they seem to feed okay. They just need to STFU!

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Dan's Ammo had the Indian surplus mags several years ago and I've had good luck with them.  Mec-Gars, FN/Browning both marked and unmarked military surplus.  They look exactly the same as the marked ones.  Avoid 2nd tier aftermarket and anything with a seam down the back of the magazine.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pro-Mag = Pure-Crap

Also stay away from;

USA Mag
Triple- K
KCI

Frankly, I only use factory mags, Mec-Gar and military surplus (genuine not "Asian Military").

Never used any KCI, but had the same experience with the other three. Won't use them for any of my guns.

Link Posted: 11/2/2012 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Fully agree with Browning/FN factory, Euro/Indian Military Surplus and Mec-Gar magazines.

I have some of those "Asian Military Contract" w/ bright blue finish, magazines and they are OK, but I only use them as Range Mags.

About 7-8 years ago, I purchased several "European" military surplus mags and they function fine.  The same for my 13 and 15 round Mec-Gar magazines.

BTW, I couldn't tell the difference from the Browning/FN factory magazines from the Euro Surplus magazines since the parkerized finish, fit, feel, black plastic followers and metal floor plates were the same... I believe that those surplus mags were in fact, made by FN.

Stay away from those "ProMags" with their "lifetime" warranty... They are not worth the postage or the wasted time, standing in line at the Post Office to send them back for replacements... since the replacements will suck just as bad... Trust me, I was one of those suckers who thought they would be fine AND I couldn't beat the price... Now, I know why they were a hell of a deal!!  

Live and learn!!

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#20]
OK, so I sense a general consensus that the Mecgars are good to go, which is nice since they seem to be readily available.  But is there any reason to stick to 13-rounders rather than the 15's?
I'm a 1911 nut and have never had complete faith in extra-capacity mags, and I'm wondering if that prejudice should carry over to the Hi-Power.
I'm haven't started buying HP mags yet, so if the 15s work as reliably as the 13s, I'd rather start out buying the extra capacity.

Also, if you do run 15-round mags, is there any problem to keeping them fully loaded (as oppose to downloading by one)?

My first "Hi-Power" (a Kareen) should be here in a couple days.  Any insight/advice is welcome!
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OK, so I sense a general consensus that the Mecgars are good to go, which is nice since they seem to be readily available.  But is there any reason to stick to 13-rounders rather than the 15's?
I'm a 1911 nut and have never had complete faith in extra-capacity mags, and I'm wondering if that prejudice should carry over to the Hi-Power.
I'm haven't started buying HP mags yet, so if the 15s work as reliably as the 13s, I'd rather start out buying the extra capacity.

Also, if you do run 15-round mags, is there any problem to keeping them fully loaded (as oppose to downloading by one)?

My first "Hi-Power" (a Kareen) should be here in a couple days.  Any insight/advice is welcome!

To get 15 in the flush fit mag they cut a coil out of the spring and use a different, shorter follower.

I have one and have never had any issues, but have heard tales of the 15 round followers tipping and causing feed failures.

The rest of my BHP mags are all 13 rounders.  Personally I'm more comfortable with them and only carry the 13's.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

To get 15 in the flush fit mag they cut a coil out of the spring and use a different, shorter follower.

I have one and have never had any issues, but have heard tales of the 15 round followers tipping and causing feed failures.

The rest of my BHP mags are all 13 rounders.  Personally I'm more comfortable with them and only carry the 13's.

I'm more of the philosophy that there is no good reason why a double stack, full-size 9mm has to only have 13 rounds in a magazine in 2012. The Mec-Gar 15s work beautifully. I even put some of the Pearce +2 baseplates (the Pearce inserts are garbage, bend new ones from brass strip) and they're now 18 round mags.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My MecGars all drop free but my mag safety has been removed.
I have crappy luck with the 17 round mags.  I`d say stick with Browning or MecGars.

None of my MecGars drop free. I only use MecGars and Browning OEM 13 round mags in my 1969 C model. It's my only Hi-Power and those are the only mags I have ever used. I guess I am just used to pulling them out, not that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:38:45 AM EDT
[#24]
With the mag safety removed from my 1972 BHP, the 15-round MecGars drop free reliably for me.  Externally the 15-rounders are the same size as the 13's.  According to sketches I've seen, the underside of the follower is just designed differently to make room for 2 more rounds.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#25]
My go-to place for most mags, including Mecgar, and some other stuff, is Greg Cote.  Prices are generally as good as anybody's and he ships almost instananeously.

If anyone has any better suggestions, I'd be pleased to hear about it.

Greg Cote Website
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top