Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2002 9:01:44 AM EDT
I am planning on buying a new parkerized Kel-Tec P-32 this week (to carry when I can't carry my Glock 32) and I have a few questions for my fellow AR15.com P-32 owners.

First, I've been told that replacing the 9 lb. standard recoil spring with the Wolffe 11 lb. recoil spring can eliminate some of the more common feeding problems suffered by some P-32s, such as rim lock jams, etc.  Is this true?  Does anyone here have any first hand knowledge of the benefits/detriments of installing the heavier recoil spring?

Second, I know there are two schools of thought regarding carry ammo (FMJ vs. JHP).  My thought is that although 99% of the time I recommend JHPs for defensive carry, it seems that even within the .32 caliber line itself, the JHPs are loaded very weak.  For instance, velocity of a 73gr FMJ Fiocchi or S&B is actually greater than that of the "big name" 60/65gr JHPs.  The only JHP that has a velocity exceeding the aformentioned FMJ loads is Cor-Bon.  Even if energy is the same, lighter bullets are usually loaded to a higher velocity.  Why are the big name JHPs slower than their heavier FMJ counterparts?  Because of this, I'd have to lean more towards the hotter FMJ loads.  I'm big on Speer Gold Dots myself in other calibers, but the .32 Gold Dot is weak, even relative to other .32s.

Anyway, I thank anyone in advance who has a few minutes to answer my P-32/.32 cal questions.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#1]
#1 - Shot placement

#2 - Shot placement

#3 - Shot placement

and I might add... with a 32, use all 3 of the above.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 3:31:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure I follow you Midiman, can you rephrase your answer a little more clearly....

Thanks for the response.  How about the recoil spring issue?
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:02:19 AM EDT
[#3]
We've got two P-32s, and have had them since a few months after they started coming out.
I've never experienced a rim-lock problem.
You may have to do the "fluff and buff" to get reliable feeding, but shoot 200 rounds of ball first and see.
I have heard that quality control on new guns is greatly improved.
(both of mine have had trips to the shop, parts replaced, etc. They seem reliable now. -fingers crossed.)
I use whatever for practice; FN, S&B, etc.
I carry mine with Silvertips, 1 in the chamber, 5 in the mag. When at the range, I fire one or two rounds just as it was pulled from the pocket, to see if it would have fired if I needed it. Never had a problem with rim lock.

The reason for Winchester Silvertips?
Excellent performance in the past, esp. in other calibers.
I feel that the bullet is small enough that you need any possibility of expansion that you can get. My own tests have proved that any jhp will penetrate human flesh wearing reasonable clothes, at normal distances.
You'll have to make up your own mind on that one.

For the size/weight/caliber envelope, you can't beat a P32.

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Well guys, I picked up a NIB P-32 yesterday.  I haven't fired it yet (probably Saturday) but I already think it feels great.  Concealing it is like not having a pistol concealed!  If it is reliable, I just picked up a "keeper."

I bought a few hundred rounds of Fiocchi 73gr FMJ ammo with it, as I've heard good things about it.  I also got an 11 lb. Wolff recoil spring set to replace the 9 lb. standard set, as this supposedly can correct feeding problems before they start.

For carry, I've narrowed down the choices (contingent on 100% feed reliability of course) to the Winchester Silvertip 60gr JHP, Cor-Bon 60gr JHP, or the Fiocchi 73gr FMJ.  Real world performance of these loads out of a P-32 barrel is, per information found on a good Kel-Tec website:

Winchester Silvertip 60gr JHP: 855 FPS/97 FPE/8.5" penetration

Cor-Bon 60gr JHP: 1016 FPS/138 FPE/8.3" penetration

Fiocchi 73gr FMJ: 859 FPS/120 FPE/15.0" penetration

I'm leaning towards the Cor-Bon if it's reliable, because of it's power (for a .32 that is), or the Fiocchi 73gr for its excellent penetration.  The Silvertips have a good reputation in other calibers, but it seems aenemic relative even to other .32 rounds.  It has slightly less velocity than the Fiocchi that weighs 22% more!  I wonder why that is?

Anyway, I'm excited to try out my new toy!  Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 11:49:04 PM EDT
[#5]
In my somewhat facetious first response I meant that with the P-32, the caliber is small enough that, more important than what you shoot is where you shoot and advised a double tap if not a triple. As for your choices of ammo, I've always preferred the Cor-Bon... I'd avoid the FMJ you chose. With a penetration of over 15"... one of those might get stuck in a fat guy but would pass straight through two of me. You don't want to shoot someone standing behind your target. Shoot FMJ all day long at the range but stick with a good JHP for defense. I'd also look into the .32 Federal Hydra-Shok.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top