Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2006 4:05:18 PM EDT
im thinking of picking one of these up..not sure what model...have read and heard nothing but good things about this company..like to see what you guys have...
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 5:13:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a second-generation P3AT. It was unreliable during break-in (using Wolf ammo didn't help), but worked fine for quite some time after that. Since the P3AT has a plastic mag release and metal mags, you should depress the mag release when inserting a mag. I failed to do this, and after a while the mags would release under recoil. I ordered a new mag release and spring (Kel-tec sent it for free), but then I broke the hammer spring. Ordered a new hammer spring, and I couldn't get it back together properly (I guess gunsmith is not a career option for me ). Long story short, I sent it back to Kel-tec and they didn't charge me for it. Had it back in about 1-1/2 weeks.

Right now mine is riding in a Desantis Nemesis. As you can see, I've got the mag extensions from a Bersa .380 magazine on mine. Much easier to shoot for me, and still quite concealable.

Link Posted: 10/10/2006 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#2]
The Kel-Tec pistols have a good reputation for being small, light, affordable and reliable.  They push the limit on being small and powerful, and that means that "reliable" is a relative term. That's not a knock against Kel-Tec, more like ackowledging the laws of physics. In this context, reliable means you should break it in with 200+ rounds, then shoot 40+ rounds of whatever you plan to carry to make sure it feeds and fires your carry ammo (probably some +P stuff, and maybe JHP which can be problematic feeding in such a short pistol with inherently greater feed ramp angles).  But I'd do the same procedure with any gun I planned to carry for defensive purposes.

Kel-Tec has an excellent lifetime warranty. If you do have problems, they'll send you free replacement parts if you want to try to resolve the issue yourself. Most companies won't do that. If you'd rather Kel-Tec fix your pistol, ship it to Cocoa Florida and they'll take care of it quickly.

I'm waiting on the new PF-9 to arrive in local gun stores. I've been like a little kid waiting for Christmas.

I have a Kel-Tec PLR-16 pistol, but it doesn't really qualify as a concealed carry pistol.

http://209.197.93.201/PLR-16_JL_BumpFireball02.jpg

Link Posted: 10/10/2006 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Youll need a mighty big overcoat...
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#4]
P3AT with a Zippo for size.

During break in it would have FTE but now it runs like a top.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Kel-Tec pistols have a good reputation for being small, light, affordable and reliable.  They push the limit on being small and powerful, and that means that "reliable" is a relative term. That's not a knock against Kel-Tec, more like ackowledging the laws of physics. In this context, reliable means you should break it in with 200+ rounds, then shoot 40+ rounds of whatever you plan to carry to make sure it feeds and fires your carry ammo (probably some +P stuff, and maybe JHP which can be problematic feeding in such a short pistol with inherently greater feed ramp angles).  But I'd do the same procedure with any gun I planned to carry for defensive purposes.

Kel-Tec has an excellent lifetime warranty. If you do have problems, they'll send you free replacement parts if you want to try to resolve the issue yourself. Most companies won't do that. If you'd rather Kel-Tec fix your pistol, ship it to Cocoa Florida and they'll take care of it quickly.

I'm waiting on the new PF-9 to arrive in local gun stores. I've been like a little kid waiting for Christmas.

I have a Kel-Tec PLR-16 pistol, but it doesn't really qualify as a concealed carry pistol.

209.197.93.201/PLR-16_JL_BumpFireball02.jpg

That's one hell of a first post.

Welcome to the forums
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Here are my two carry Kel-tec P11 and P32.

Link Posted: 10/15/2006 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 1:27:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's my P11 9mm that's almost always with me.  It will probably be replaced by the new PF9 whenever it comes out.

And my PLR16, It's a lot of fun to shoot.  Both of them had a couple of stovepipes during break in, but have run great since.

Link Posted: 10/21/2006 2:53:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here are my two carry Kel-tec P11 and P32.

esrigs.home.comcast.net/guns/keltecpaira.jpg

What holster is pictured above for the P11?
It looks like a nice clip holster.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#11]
P3AT with a DeSantis
You can put it in your pocket and forget it is there.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top