Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/11/2018 2:20:04 AM EDT
Say you wanted a great range toy 9mm, CZ pattern. You have absolutely no interest or plans to either sell it later or to compete in any match that might require any value of "stock".
You want a range, maybe house gun that will just wow anyone shooting it; bragging rights, BBQ gun.

I saw a video where the fellow (who had both) said that with those stipulations one would be better served with having a CZ75B or SP-01 cajunized to the max and add good sights rather than buying a Shadow 2; a tweaked SP01 would have better trigger, etc than bone stock Shadow 2 at about the same price point, and be easier to work on or service. Thoughts?

Then there are the Tanfoglio Stock 2 and Witness Match . People seem to really like them, but you don't really hear about them nearly as much. I wonder if this is just that they aren't a boutique brand with recognition like the CZ.

Not interested in Tac Orange or such; commonality of magazines is an issue to some small degree.

Then again, the Arex Rex Alpha looks pretty good. I have a Zero 1S and really like it.

I have considered the SIG and such; but one seems to pay so much just for the name on those. I am sure there are others I should be thinking of, but I really don't have any exposure to know what I don't know.
Budget is ~$1200 max.

Just thinking ahead; I won't be in a position to actually buy anything until summer. Just working on the research.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:49:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Scorpion EVO S3.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:46:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 6:16:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Shadow 2 has everything you are seeking.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I think you will find that any CZ will be ok.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Ultimate CZ pattern 9mm toy with bragging rights?

A CZ made Colt Z40 with a 9mm conversion.

Not that expensive, but hard to find, and plenty of bragging rights to show people your "Colt" CZ.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
What model Scorpion is that ?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#7]
CZ is hardly a boutique brand.

SP-01 Cajuned out or a modded Scorpion EVO pistol.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Go Full Retard and get a Parrot.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Go Full Retard and get a Parrot.
View Quote
Cannon?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:09:45 AM EDT
[#10]
A CZ75 SA from CZ custom or cgw. It will make anyone feel like a great shooter
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:18:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do you think a CGW 75b or SA  is a better path then a Shadow 2? That's the question no one is really addressing.I can see benefits to both ways, but I have zero hands on experience with either.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do you think a CGW 75b or SA  is a better path then a Shadow 2? That's the question no one is really addressing.I can see benefits to both ways, but I have zero hands on experience with either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get the shadow 2. After sights and pro package on a 75b or sp01 the difference in cost is negligible. Shadow 2 out of the box is as good as any I’ve done with Cajun parts.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Having gone the standard SP01 then Cajun upgrade route to later buying a Shadow 2, just get the Shadow 2. By the time you're done upgrading the SP01 (which in monetary terms puts you past Shadow territory already) it still won't be quite as good as the Shadow out of the box. Then the Shadow still has more performance headroom with its own Cajun upgrades on top of that.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Having gone the standard SP01 then Cajun upgrade route to later buying a Shadow 2, just get the Shadow 2. By the time you're done upgrading the SP01 (which in monetary terms puts you past Shadow territory already) it still won't be quite as good as the Shadow out of the box. Then the Shadow still has more performance headroom with its own Cajun upgrades on top of that.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Get the shadow 2. After sights and pro package on a 75b or sp01 the difference in cost is negligible. Shadow 2 out of the box is as good as any I’ve done with Cajun parts.
View Quote
Perfect. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do you think a CGW 75b or SA  is a better path then a Shadow 2? That's the question no one is really addressing.I can see benefits to both ways, but I have zero hands On  experience with either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you think a CGW 75b or SA  is a better path then a Shadow 2? That's the question no one is really addressing.I can see benefits to both ways, but I have zero hands On  experience with either.
It depends on what you want to do. The Shadow 2 was designed to win IPSC production class. It's heavy, but shoots good.
A dedicated single action gun will give the best trigger, and i prefer the lighter weight of the cz75. No one can say whats going to be best for you.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It depends on what you want to do. The Shadow 2 was designed to win IPSC production class. It's heavy, but shoots good.
A dedicated single action gun will give the best trigger, and i prefer the lighter weight of the cz75. No one can say whats going to be best for you.
View Quote
My main goal is a gun that I will love to shoot, and that will awe the average shooter when they try it.
I just want a really "nice" gun, where nice is functionality rather than cosmetics and such. Smooth as butter, glass rod trigger, ergonomic, and, yes, good looking too as long as it doesn't interfere with the others.

One where people say shit like "It won't let you miss", "I didn't know a gun could be that nice", etc.

I have always owned stock service level guns. I want to be that old guy with a super nice competition level gun that everyone wants to shoot, but I'll never shoot competition with it.

Hitting clays on the backstop at 100 yards would be cool, too.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#18]
You're describing the Shadow guns lol. You won't regret it. The standard 75/SP01 there's going to be a few things you'll feel knew you want it to be better (hence the Cajun upgrades). But the Shadow is already great out of the box and will do everything you just described.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You're describing the Shadow guns lol. You won't regret it. The standard 75/SP01 there's going to be a few things you'll feel knew you want it to be better (hence the Cajun upgrades). But the Shadow is already great out of the box and will do everything you just described.
View Quote
Thanks. I guess I want one gun where I don't feel like I had to "settle".
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Shadow 2 is what you seek.  Buy once cry once.  I have a tricked out SP-01 and will eventually have a Shadow 2.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Said it earlier but will say it again. Shadow 2. I own several czs and the shadow 2 is what you are describing in your want list/posts.

I’ve cajunized 4 others. Shadow 2 out of the box is a fantastic handgun. You will definitely not be settling for anything.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Shadow 2 is what you seek.  Buy once cry once.  I have a tricked out SP-01 and will eventually have a Shadow 2.
View Quote
I have the ARF Curse, I got both.....er......more than I needed.

My Sp-01 properly tuned is every bit as good as a stock Shadow 2.

I still shoot my S2 the most.

My P-09 is my fun gun.

I carry my 75c and that is only because I am still tinkering with the polished P-01. Which shoots every bit as good as my fairly tuned SP-01.

My 75c is a tack driver, as is my polished 75.

I like each and every one of them, only my S2 gets more love than the rest.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My P-09 is my fun gun. .
View Quote
It really is a fun gun. If you haven't taken the decocker out give it a try. It cleans up the trigger a bit.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:39:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It really is a fun gun. If you haven't taken the decocker out give it a try. It cleans up the trigger a bit.
View Quote
I ripped that out before shooting it.

Then I put a full CGW kit in it.

The SA is insane! DA is not too shaby.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/120021/44854999_485377085274962_8292817765304107008_o_jpg-736826.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/120021/44854999_485377085274962_8292817765304107008_o_jpg-736826.JPG
That p09 looks awesome. I plan to pick up a p07 this week...
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#26]
The Accu Shadow is CZ's top dawg. No slam on the Shadow 2, but the Accu model seems to be a bit more hand-fitted, IMO.

Mine shoots like a laser.

My .o2
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Accu Shadow is CZ's top dawg. No slam on the Shadow 2, but the Accu model seems to be a bit more hand-fitted, IMO.

My .o2
View Quote
nope, this one is

Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:09:59 AM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My .o2
nope, this one is

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/CZ-Czechmate-618x412.jpg
yeah well, find a iwi holster for that.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:30:51 AM EDT
[#29]
The Czechmate crosses the line from ultimate range toy to super niche race gun.
Not nearly as appealing to me.

Tac Sport? Dunno.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Czechmate crosses the line from ultimate range toy to super niche race gun.
Not nearly as appealing to me.

Tac Sport? Dunno.
View Quote
You have choices.

If I wanted a BBQ Gun.....Oh wait, I have that.
75 High Polished or a P-01 High polished. I have them both.

I would assume 9mm is what you seek?

$1200......hummmm.....Either a Shadow 2 or a Cajunized SP-01. Honestly.......anything from Cajun Gun Works or CZ Customs in your price range would do the trick.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#31]
No, that one is merely the most expensive. Not the most accurate. Big difference.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#32]
While there are some excellent CZ choices don't forget about the new Sig P210 or perhaps you'd like to get into a vintage Korth semi-auto for a *whole* bunch more since you mentioned *ultimate* range toy.

If you mention *ultimate* maybe you shouldn't mention a price range.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
While there are some excellent CZ choices don't forget about the new Sig P210 or perhaps you'd like to get into a vintage Korth semi-auto for a *whole* bunch more since you mentioned *ultimate* range toy.

If you mention *ultimate* maybe you shouldn't mention a price range.
View Quote
Yeah, I thought about that. "Ultimate reasonable" maybe? The best gun one of us "Average Joes" could reasonably attain and use without worrying about devaluing.

A vintage SIG 210 is actually one of my unlikely Grail guns, and would be mu ultimate range 9mm pistol. I'm not sure the new ones would be better, but would be more attainable.
But I would be chary of it, and that would detract from its "fun" utility. I could flog a Shadow 2 and not cry about it.

EDIT

Back from Grabagun
Yeah, the new P210 is a possibility. In the OP I asked if there were others I should be thinking about in the class. You have given me one, thanks!
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Heck with all that bubblegum stuff. Barrett  Maybe M107 is what you seek.

But if you must stick with handguns that polished CZ 75 above would be a good pick. .
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#35]
You say you want a gun that will wow anyone who shoots it, yet immediately dismiss one that will do just that - the TS Orange.

Everybody who shoots mine either buys one or wants to buy one.

Alternatively, a cajunized 97B -E converted to SAO would probably do the same thing. But you want to stick to 9mm.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You say you want a gun that will wow anyone who shoots it, yet immediately dismiss one that will do just that - the TS Orange.

Everybody who shoots mine either buys one or wants to buy one.

Alternatively, a cajunized 97B -E converted to SAO would probably do the same thing. But you want to stick to 9mm.
View Quote
I want a DA/SA right now.  In all honesty I'll likely get a TSO later as well, or my son will. If the Shadow 2 didn't exist the TSO would be at the top of the list.

I haven't considered the 97s particularly at this time because of the grip size. I need to hold one, preferably shoot it before I can move that way. My hands are fairly small.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#37]
A bone stock SP01 Shadow covered all those bases for me.

Link Posted: 11/23/2018 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Excluding all the single action guns makes it easier.

Tanfo Stock 2 Extreme.

The Stock 2 is the original Shadow 2 (yes, CZ made a copy of their clone...), and the Extreme is the best model.

Most people buy the Stock 2 and drop in the Extreme parts, so not many have one.

Lots of people have heard of CZs, but less have heard of Tanfos unless they shoot production/standard USPSA/IPSC.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Excluding all the single action guns makes it easier.

Tanfo Stock 2 Extreme.

The Stock 2 is the original Shadow 2 (yes, CZ made a copy of their clone...), and the Extreme is the best model.

Most people buy the Stock 2 and drop in the Extreme parts, so not many have one.

Lots of people have heard of CZs, but less have heard of Tanfos unless they shoot production/standard USPSA/IPSC.
View Quote
I have a Tanfo steel 10mm Witness. It's pretty nice.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:48:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I have to disagree with some of the Shadow 2 comments here. Yes it is a nice pistol but the trigger is still just a stock CZ trigger, perhaps cleaned up a little but not in the same league as a CZ Custom or CGW trigger job. Fortunately the parts are all classic CZ and it can be upgraded by CZC or CGW exactly the same as an SP01 or 75. IMO a $1000 CGW SP01 is nicer than a stock Shadow 2. The real step up for me is the Tactical Sport models.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Having owned a cajun'ized SP01, Shadow 2 and several TSOs,

I'd recommend the Shadow 2 if you want a DA/SA pistol.  Nice trigger out of the box and accurate as hell. Uses the same mags as all full size CZ75 pistols.

If you are looking for a SA pistol that has precise fit-n-finish go with the Tactical Sport Orange (.40 or 9mm).  The slide feels like it is moving on ball bearings.  The 9mm shoots extremely flat and has very little (think .22) recoil.  Out of the box, these pistols have #2 (or slightly more/less) triggers and have absolutely surprised everyone that I've let shoot mine, even the old codgers that have been shooting for like 100+years.  The magazines for the tactical sport (and orange) are not shared with any other CZ platform, except the czechmate, which is a souped up tactical sport designed for open/major (think ~1500 fps in 9mm) 9mm competition.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Having owned a cajun'ized SP01, Shadow 2 and several TSOs,

I'd recommend the Shadow 2 if you want a DA/SA pistol.  Nice trigger out of the box and accurate as hell. Uses the same mags as all full size CZ75 pistols.

If you are looking for a SA pistol that has precise fit-n-finish go with the Tactical Sport Orange (.40 or 9mm).  The slide feels like it is moving on ball bearings.  The 9mm shoots extremely flat and has very little (think .22) recoil.  Out of the box, these pistols have #2 (or slightly more/less) triggers and have absolutely surprised everyone that I've let shoot mine, even the old codgers that have been shooting for like 100+years.  The magazines for the tactical sport (and orange) are not shared with any other CZ platform, except the czechmate, which is a souped up tactical sport designed for open/major (think ~1500 fps in 9mm) 9mm competition.
View Quote
I have seen a couple of videos on the TSO lately and I'm sure that I am not ready for a 1.75 lb trigger. I'm pretty sure it'll be the Shadow 2.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 7:17:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I have seen a couple of videos on the TSO lately and I'm sure that I am not ready for a 1.75 lb trigger. I'm pretty sure it'll be the Shadow 2.
View Quote
I'm going to change my previous course of action and recommend against the TSO then.

Once you pull that trigger, all others are crap in comparison.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Picked up a Custom Shop Bull Shadow last month - puts everything else I own to shame.

Bird
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm going to change my previous course of action and recommend against the TSO then.

Seriously.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.
I was thinking more of safety, but yeah; I just know I'll be spoiled beyond belief. I'd have to sell my (only!) Glock and SR45 in disgust.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Picked up a Custom Shop Bull Shadow last month - puts everything else I own to shame.

Bird
View Quote
Cool! What did it set you back?
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#47]
$1600 + tax
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
$1600 + tax
View Quote
Not bad. Looks like a great pistol!
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#49]
shadow 2 with a slide mounted red dot
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
shadow 2 with a slide mounted red dot
View Quote
Not interested in a red dot right now. Maybe later.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top