Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 5:52:47 AM EDT
Came across this gun at Charles Daly's website. It's called a "ZDA" but it looks just like a SIG P226. No mention is made of Sig at the website. Any one know anything about this gun?

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:14:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmmmm.  Where's it made?  It does look really similar to Sig.  So close in fact, there could be a legal issue.  MJD
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hmmmm.  Where's it made?  It does look really similar to Sig.  So close in fact, there could be a legal issue.  MJD

That's what I was thinking; they are exactly the same right down to the roll-pin in the slide and the decocker lever.

Sure has a nice finish, though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:38:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it me or does that decocker lever look as if it is sticking way out from the frame?

I have a 226 Po-lice trade in and it is superb, love the worn finish on mine too.

Wonder if it takes the same mags?

Price?

I bet a used Po-Po gun would still be a better deal.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I did a little reading on this thing and it turns out that that one big lever on the side serves as a decocker/safety and slide release all in one.  Plus, there's one on the other side so it's ambidextrous.  What really gets me is the "LSI" or low-shot indicator.  When I first read it, I thought it was some type of level that helps prevent low shots.  Turns out, it's really a system that tells you when you're running low on ammo.  What ever happened to counting rounds?  
Not just the rollpins, look at the guide rod.  It looks identical to Sig's.  Sights and hammer look completely different.  MJD
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:58:44 AM EDT
[#5]
It'd have to be cheaper than a CPO to be worth it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:39:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like someone resurrected the old Astra A-80/90/100 line and engraved it Charles Daly.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a nice lookin pistol. Depending on the price and it's reputation, I'd buy one.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#8]
It looks to be one of the South African Tressitu TZ99 pistols made for Charles Daly, or possibly a Croatian HS95.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#9]
It is the same as the TZ99/CZ99 and is made in one of the former Yugoslavian countries by Zasteva (sp?). The slide stop/decocker is ambi and the low ammo indicator is a pin that sticks out of the top right side grip screw when 3 rounds are left. It's a little fatter than a Sig and not quite of the same quality level. It is nicely done and should be a decent gun. The double action pull on the one I have handled was quite smooth and relatively light. Single action was very good. The CPO Sigs are a better deal IMHO but the Daly should be good too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#10]
The last I heard of Charles Daly, They where inporting guns made in the Phillipines
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Charles Daly imports several different lines of guns from several different countries (Spain, Turkey, Phillipines, Yugoslavia, Israel, etc.).
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#12]
This is also made by Zastava.  Has a little pin that hits your hand when the gun's running dry, I think.  CZ999, Yugo made (yeah, that's "triple nine"!)

I have one of the CZ99s imported prior to the embargo, and picked up a couple of magazines over there.  Nice pistol, actually. Chrome-plated bore.

The Golan, Israeli, is alittle different - shorter slide?

I handled a TZ99 and it appeared identical.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#13]
so where would you get one?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
so where would you get one?

CDNN Investments  .com)
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:31:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I had a 1911 C.Daly...in 200 rounds I had 37 jams...the link pin bent, the link stretched oblong so the chamber actually came behind the ramp where rounds jammed repeatedly...with 37 jams the ramp looked like somebody took a chisel and gouged it out...then the main spring pin fell out and a mag well pin fell out...C. Daly did not respond to my requests to get it fixed...no gunsmith wanted to work on it because of the soft metal and everybody I took it to said, it was junk...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#16]
That's just an Astra A100 with a new name and probably not as reliable.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
That's just an Astra A100 with a new name and probably not as reliable.

Been a few Astra comments. Negative, negative. The CZ99/999 has a good track record in the Balkan wars. Note that there is no 'slide release' lever - the decocker does both functions, a system in use for years with Zastava - the Astra used a more Siglike two -control system.  Chrome-lined/plated barrel. Very high quality, reliable pistols.

The Yugos made Mausers, TT's (Tokarevs), SKS's, AK-47s, M76 snipers, MG42 copies...their cars are crap, but they've never made a bad firearm.  The CZ99 was well-liked by end users in Bosnia; I asked locals on security details and interpreters at MPRI.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:59:27 AM EDT
[#18]
My Astra A75 9mm is a great little gun .

Just before the ban or some kinda import regs. The same pistol was being imported w/slightly differant cuts ans machine work on the slide .

You'd see the the same gun at three differant tables at a show . They called them something differant , but the only thing differant was alittle machine work on slide .

I'm looking for a heavy duty 9mm to shoot any 9mm ammo made which is why I'm tring to learn the maze of Sig lines .
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#19]
That is definitely a Serbian Zastava in 9mm. I have a pre civil war (Balkans) model and it is an excellent pistol. In the few months it was imported the ads touted that the barrel was stellite and could be fired underwater, etc. It is every bit as good as my Sig and pricewise much better. The Astra 100 resembles it somewhat but is smaller and fit and finish are not up to par. I would not hesitate in buying the Zastava since the whole Zastava line is very high quality. The Zastava AKM, Krinkov, and military sniper line command high prices, varied calibers, and super high quality with teak furniture and excellent optics. The only disappointment is that the Zastava name does not stand on its own merit as my pre-war model does and has to be rebadged as part of the Charles Daly line. I hope that Zastava as its own entity enters the market since so many (SKS's, CZ99's, rebuilt AKM's) models are currently being sold.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#20]
That is definitely a Serbian Zastava in 9mm. I have a pre civil war (Balkans) model and it is an excellent pistol. In the few months it was imported the ads touted that the barrel was stellite and could be fired underwater, etc. It is every bit as good as my Sig and pricewise much better. The Astra 100 resembles it somewhat but is smaller and fit and finish are not up to par. I would not hesitate in buying the Zastava since the whole Zastava line is very high quality. The Zastava AKM, Krinkov, and military sniper line command high prices, varied calibers, and super high quality with teak furniture and excellent optics. The only disappointment is that the Zastava name does not stand on its own merit as my pre-war model does and has to be rebadged as part of the Charles Daly line. I hope that Zastava as its own entity enters the market since so many (SKS's, CZ99's, rebuilt AKM's) models are currently being sold.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, this is a Serbian Zastava CZ999 aka ZDA Charles Daly.

Extremely reliable and accurate combat handgun. I own two
and have over 3000 rounds through each pistol of different
9mm ammo without a single failure/problem.

If you are interested call CDNN and ask for Chris; you can buy one
for $299.

Here is more info on Zastava arms in Serbia:

http://www.zastava-arms.co.yu/english/zastava.htm

and their military and civilian program:

http://www.zastava-arms.co.yu/english/vojni.htm

http://www.zastava-arms.co.yu/english/civilni.htm

Here is also part of the February eNewsletter from Charles Daly
stating that Zastava has decided to join with Remington Arms:

Charles Daly (R) Monthly eNewsletter
February 2006

-------------------------------------
Dear Charles Daly patrons:

Our monthly newsletter has not been published for several months
due to the fact that the Charles Daly product line has been going
through major changes for 2006. We apologize for keeping you in
the dark, but the work had to be completed before we could let
everybody know what we've been up to.

All of the changes that we have made will be incorporated into
our website over the next few weeks. Please visit us often over
the next few months to see details on all our new products.

One of the first changes you will notice is that we are no longer
importing any products from Zastava of Serbia. All of our Mauser
and Mini-Mauser bolt action rifles, barreled actions and actions
as well as our Superior II rimfire rifles and the ZDA pistols
are now discontinued. Zastava has decided to join with Remington
Arms for now, so in the very near future you should be able to
purchase Mauser (Remington Model 798), Mini-Mauser (Remington
Model 799) and Zastava rimfire rifles (Remington Model Five) for
approximately 10% more than you were paying for the Charles Daly
brand. We don't think Remington will be selling actions or
barreled actions but that remains to be seen. We do know that
Remington will not be selling the ZDA pistol.
------------------------------------------------------------

So, get one from CDNN while you can and you will not regret.
Charles Daly still gives lifetime warranty for Zastava ZDA pistols
purchased from CDNN Investments.

Hope this helps,

kubura

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It is the same as the TZ99/CZ99 and is made in one of the former Yugoslavian countries by Zasteva (sp?). The slide stop/decocker is ambi and the low ammo indicator is a pin that sticks out of the top right side grip screw when 3 rounds are left. It's a little fatter than a Sig and not quite of the same quality level. It is nicely done and should be a decent gun. The double action pull on the one I have handled was quite smooth and relatively light. Single action was very good. The CPO Sigs are a better deal IMHO but the Daly should be good too.

What he said.  Serbian service pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top