Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2010 9:14:58 PM EDT
I haven't checked into the Kahr forum lately.  My history with Kahr began with a very crappy PM40 and very crappy customer service from the company in regards to repairs.  Then I bought a K40 Covert.  It was better, but was so heavy I decided it wasn't for me either.  Then after I became a police officer I bought a PM9, one of the newest models, to carry as a back-up and off duty.  It was a totally different animal as far as being a noticeably better built firearm.  Reliable and accurate.  But I found myself never carrying it as I really didn't find my Glock 19 much more difficult to conceal and I felt the slight increase in burden was worth the added firepower.  I later sold it to my mother so she could have a good concealed carry handgun.

Then the P380 came out and I began to fondle all of the new 380's.  I checked out the Ruger LCP, the Kahr P380, the Taurus TCP, and Kel Tec P3AT.  The gun store didn't get Diamond Back 380's in until after I bought a Kahr P380.  I remember reading how everyone said the Kahr was way too expensive for a little 380.  I have to say that the slightly higher one time fee to buy a Kahr P380 over any of the other 380's mentioned was well worth it.  The difference is quality is noticeable just from handling them.  

I finally got to put about 65 rounds through my P380 today and I must say I am totally impressed.  The only problems occurred when I failed to follow instructions and use the slide release.  And My shooting grip cause the slide to fail to lock back on the last round.  None of this is a problem with the gun, but a result of me shooting predominantly Glocks for a long time and adapting to their ergonomic styling..

And for such a small gun that shoots a 380 I was expecting way more recoil.  Even with Gold Dots the recoil seemed less than my previous PM9, from what I can remember anyway.  And the recoil was significantly lighter than the Kel-Tec P3At I shot many moons ago.

Anyone interested in a 380 gun for concealed carry of back-up would be well served by the Kahr P380.  And I'd say you would be hard pressed to find a similar gun of equal quality with a comparable price tag.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for the review...

i've been eyeballing one of those for a while now, will definately pick one up for a light weight ccw
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#2]
The difference between the P380 and the PM9 is quite significant if you ask me.  The PM9 really isn't too much smaller than a Glock 26 when they are compared side by side, though it is a bit easier to conceal.  You will notice either one on your hip.  And you might have to alter your choice in attire to allow for either to be carried.  I have been wearing larger t shirts to accommodate my Glock 19 and did the same when I owned a G26 and PM9.  With my P380 I can wear a smaller size of t shirt and have no problems concealing the P380 and I absolutely do not notice that it is on my hip.

Although I feel naked without my G19 when I'm out in public off duty, I feel comforted that I now have a quality gun that I have on hand to carry when situation dictates and my larger Glock 19 would not be feasible to carry.  It fills a niche that the PM9, for all of its attributes, just cannot fill for me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#3]
just sold my LCP and will be getting my P380 this Saturday.  Can't wait...
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I was able to handle the Taurus, Ruger LCP, and Kahr P380 prior to purchasing.  I also handled the Diamond Back 380 after I bought my Kahr. I like my Kahr better because I find the grip angle on the Kahr more closely resembles that of the Glock platform I am accustomed to.  The Taurus and Ruger felt awkward and cheap.  The Diamond back and Kahr seemed to be better quality and I was able to justify the price difference.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top