Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 6:13:11 PM EDT
I am and always will (I think) be a 1911 first guy.  I have tried Glocks over the years and owned 3.  I could never get comfortable with them because of the unusual grip angle as compared to 1911's and SIG's.  Just too slow to get on target for me when 80% of my range time is spent with one of the other two.

Never cared for the polymer mags.  Never was comfortable with no other safety other than the little plastic sliver in the trigger.

I had never fired an XD at all until I tried a 40 that belongs to a friend a few weeks ago.  It talked me into trying one in "my" caliber.

I bought one in 45acp last week and I just went over 1500 rds with it.  I have to say (I never thought I would) I really like this pistol.  It points right, it has a grips safety that operates without the shooter even being aware it is there.  It hits to POA.  I have not shot any groups yet, but 15yd A zone hits (at 2 in just over 1 second with a relatively unfamiliar - and mushy trigger like all of these type actions) are not a problem.  

I have fed it every bullet weight and size I had including several hundred OLD rounds from my "box" that catches the ends of boxes, old ammo, and stuff that didn’t do so well.  The only thing I did not try in it yet is the old CCI 200gr "Flying Ashtray" and I am not sure that round is even in production anymore.  So far, not ONE problem of ANY kind.  I ran the first 500 with the factory lube in place and adding one EVERY SO small dot of break free to the rear of each slide rail before putting the slide back on.  After 500 I inspected it, wiped it out with a paper towel, added two more tiny little dots of break free to the same places, and have not touched it for the last 1000+.

The mags are stainless and not difficult to load.  The recoil is - to me - mild with a moderate tendency to muzzle flip, but less that the G21 in my opinion.  The addition of a loaded chamber indicator and a cocked indicator that can both be felt simultaneously with the off hand in the dark is a plus.  The grip is very comfortable to my medium size hands.  They have done a better job stuffing 13rds of 45 in there than any I have tried.  It comes up on target very quickly for me without having to drag the front sight back down from the clouds on presentation.    

I have had others that have shot this one complain (mildly) about the recoil and about the mags being difficult to load.  I am almost 50.  If this gun kicks too hard or is too hard to load, you either need to work on your upper body strength, or for those will legitimate limitations, pick another gun and caliber.

It will not replace my 1911's, but it just might replace one of my P220's for duty when I cannot carry a 1911 and relegate the 220 to my Jeep gun.  

I have tried a lot of guns over the years, and always try to go into things with an open mind.  I never saw myself liking a lot of the later design polymer pistols, but in the last 5 years, two have changed my mind.

The Kahr PM9 has replaced the J frame Smith in my pocket, and now I believe this XD may just replace my 220!

It's ugly!...   but so am I.  It is a defensive tool.... who cares.  It will look better when it gets some honest wear on it.

Oh… and uh…  the included holster and mag pouch…..  Absolute junk in my opinion.  In a pinch I tried the holster under a coat Saturday for a few hours.  It’s purpose in life is now to fill the hole in foam in the box it came in.

Does anyone know if it will fit holsters made for the 9 and 40 versions?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The 45 will fit holsters for the 40. I don't know if the 9 is the same size or not.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Great review!  Sounds like you're as satisfied with your XD45 as I am with mine.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Best bet answer your holster question maybe to goto SA web site and compare the dimensions of your XD .45 and the 40 and 9.  I would do it for you myself but Im too lazy right now.  Congrats to you on your new purchase I also picked up an XD in fo-tay this past weekend.  I got the ported model and I love the gun.  I've put about 450 rounds thru it in 1.5 days including +P's and the porting is amazing.  I'd have to disagree with you on the gun being ugly well atleast mine is pretty cool looking with the ports.  Good luck and be safe.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Chainsaw.  The places that I have seen advertise holsters for the XD don't make any difference in the 9 and 40.  I assume you have tried a 45 in a 40 holster?  

Murphy - I would love to be able to do that, but all the Springfield site lists is length and weight.  Not a lot of detail there.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#5]
My friends .45 XD fit's in my XD9 Sub-compact Uncle Mikes kydex paddle holster perfectly!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks Chainsaw.  The places that I have seen advertise holsters for the XD don't make any difference in the 9 and 40.  I assume you have tried a 45 in a 40 holster?  

Murphy - I would love to be able to do that, but all the Springfield site lists is length and weight.  Not a lot of detail there.

The 45ACP will fit all XD-40 holsters except the Safariland 6004/5 because the SLS hood is too short.  I have heard that Safariland is currently working on that issue.  I have a G-Code paddle, Hume JIT and Hume First Agent that I bought for my XD-40 and the 45ACP fits great.  I find the First Agent conceals better on me, but presentation takes a little getting used to.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:11:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Many Thanks....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top