Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 11:40:43 AM EDT
Hello everyone,

I have two SA mil spec 1911's, a stainless and a parked, both are 100% reliable with the stock SA 7 round mags and 230 grain ball ammo. But a few weeks ago I bought a wilson combat 8 round mag to try out and it worked reliable with the 230 grain also. However, I don't like the fact it hangs out of the grip by about 3/4 of an inch. So my question is: do any of the 8 round mags that don't stick beyond the grip work reliably? My local shop has a Kimber 8 round mag that is the same size as SA standard 7 round mags but I do not want to buy any if they are not going to be reliable. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:27:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I used CMC 8 round Power Mags, and they worked great with my mil-spec operator.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used Chip McCormick Shooting Star 8rd mags for years & have never had any problems. Flush fit, too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree, Chip McCormicks are the way to go. I've used them for years as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#4]
wilson used to sell low profile mag bases....i bought mine through brownells.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#5]

I've used the Chip McCormick Shooting Star 8rd mags with no problems.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:20:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Speaking of which, I've read some horror stories about the Wilson's.  I got three of them with my Operators when I bought them, and one Chip McCormick (because I prefer the flush fit).  Should I swap the Wilsons (they've never been used) back for the McCormick's?  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:31:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Wilson makes the best 1911 magazine, bar none.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:56:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Wilson

Don't waste your money on anyting else
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:13:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Wilson

Don't waste your money on anyting else

Ditto,  I gave away my shooting star mags, that crappy split follower is garbage.   Btw, my Colt 8 rounders used that same followers, range mags only.  For real carry Wilson's #47D every time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#11]
SGB, I guess nothing.  I just looked.  They are #47D's.  I think I want to keep them.

My thinking (when I bought my Operators) was to use one Chip McCormick to carry in the weapon hot, just because the lack of the slam pad  made the weapon a tiny bit smaller.  Then to have three loaded Wilson's as backups, when slam pads would be a plus (i.e. under moderate stress).  

Then I started reading a lot of guys slamming the hell out of the Wilsons and as I said somewhere else I hadn't even fired either of them until today, because I had a hell of a time finding somebody who made a holster for them that I liked, that fit the light railled weapons.  

Apparently my thinking was solid.  I personally had never experienced any problem with Wilsons Mags, but shelved my SA .45's years ago when my Agency "outlawed" SA Autos.   Now I'm retired and write my own Rules and Regulations (and do a better job I might add), SA .45's are authorized again.  

I guess if you looked hard enough somebody would find fault with a Rolls Royce.  A review I won't ever be qualified in writing - lol.      
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Cool, Thanks for the info guys! It sounds like I will stick with the wilson, and probably buy another for carry. Always great to get opinions from people with experience.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top