Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2009 5:52:16 AM EDT
Greetings,

I am looking for some new loads to try in my S&W Model 63 and Model 34 (both with 4" barrels).  

Accuracy counts more for me than bullet design.  I use my 63 to shoot grouse for the pot.

Any suggestions on what has worked best in your kit guns?

Also, any suggestions for a good quality field holster?

Thanks,
Cheese
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:29:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Rimfire ammo is cheap and shooting stuff is fun. Pick up a box each of as many different brands/types as possible and hit the range.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I have tried a bazillion different loads through the 63 especially.

I was wondering what people found the best success with, though.  The 63 surprised me, as it did not like any CCI loads in comparison to others.  

I don't recall having a .22 that didn't like CCI brand ammo before.

ETA: I agree that shooting stuff is fun.  Unfortunately my shooting sessions with my kit guns devolve from accuracy work into tin can alley in short order.

Tin cans are pretty shifty creatures.  They are known to rush you when you are reloading.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:11:43 AM EDT
[#3]

"Tin cans are pretty shifty creatures. They are known to rush you when you are reloading."

That is why I keep my Ruger Mark II loaded and next to me while I am loading my S&W Model 18. Be prepared!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:13:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I owned a M63 no dash with box and papers for about a week. Never fired it, and sold it to a board member. My M17 prefers Rem subsonic HP but hates rem target. It also seems to like Federal Champion 40 grain solids.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I owned a M63 no dash with box and papers for about a week. Never fired it, and sold it to a board member. My M17 prefers Rem subsonic HP but hates rem target. It also seems to like Federal Champion 40 grain solids.

Maybe it is something about .22lr revolvers that they really show preferences?  I found some loads in my 63 that patterned- groups would have not been an accurate description.  Too much random dispersion to call a "group".  

JohnRippert, I will keep my Winchester 62A stoked and ready in case of any mass can attacks in the future....

I have to say the only "bright" side of the current ammo and component shortage has been a re-discovery for me of how much I love my rimfire firearms.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:55:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it is something about .22lr revolvers that they really show preferences?  I found some loads in my 63 that patterned- groups would have not been an accurate description.  Too much random dispersion to call a "group".  

JohnRippert, I will keep my Winchester 62A stoked and ready in case of any mass can attacks in the future....

I have to say the only "bright" side of the current ammo and component shortage has been a re-discovery for me of how much I love my rimfire firearms.

S&W uses a smaller bore diameter in their 22s than anyone else, and IME, the chambers are always extra tight too. I have to take a brush with me if I intend on shooting much because the chambers get so gunked up after just a few rounds that I can't get fresh rounds seated.

The M17 does throw "patterns" with some ammo I've tried, but will really stack them in with stuff it likes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Yea, I have to brush out the chambers in my cylinder frequently or I have troubles seating rounds.

My 63 will shoot well if I do my part and keep it clean.  Woe to me if the forcing cone starts to lead up.  That is a sure way to get some funky wild shootin' results.  

In a bout of laziness I once skipped cleaning to the point when I started to see keyholes on the target.  The solution was to stop being a slob and to get the forcing cone area clean.  Naturally I blamed the gun for the poor shooting.

I will say the 63 is a fun gun to pack along for a hunt though.  It and 50 rounds don't weigh me down too much.

Why did you unload your 63 without even shooting it?

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Rimfire ammo is cheap and shooting stuff is fun. Pick up a box each of as many different brands/types as possible and hit the range.

Good advice here.  Even 2 otherwise identical 22s from the same manufacuter can prefer different ammo, so nothing beats a little bit of empiricism.

That being said, I've found that Aquila Standard Velocity shoots well in just about everything.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yea, I have to brush out the chambers in my cylinder frequently or I have troubles seating rounds.

My 63 will shoot well if I do my part and keep it clean.  Woe to me if the forcing cone starts to lead up.  That is a sure way to get some funky wild shootin' results.  

In a bout of laziness I once skipped cleaning to the point when I started to see keyholes on the target.  The solution was to stop being a slob and to get the forcing cone area clean.  Naturally I blamed the gun for the poor shooting.

I will say the 63 is a fun gun to pack along for a hunt though.  It and 50 rounds don't weigh me down too much.

Why did you unload your 63 without even shooting it?

Bought because the price was right. I probably could have gotten more out of it than I did since it appeared to be virtually unfired, but I was happy with a $75 profit for a one week investment. Besides, I had a CZ SP01 to pay for.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I am sure you are pleased with your CZ.  I have a P01 and I think the CZs represent great values.

I don't recall selling any of my .22s over the years, though.  I guess I have become an accidental collector.  I suspect the last firearm I will ever own will be a .22lr of some description.

The kids have started to "stake out" their claims on the collection.  She doesn't know it yet but the Model 34 will be a birthday present for my daughter.  She took a shine to the Model 63 as it fits her.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer blued carbon steel to stainless, and don't have any J frame carry guns so I really didn't have any use for it. If I can find a nice, reasonably priced M34, I'll probably buy it for the wife. She sort of likes the M31-1 I picked up, but it's still not as cheap to shoot as a .22.

I just don't like J frames very much.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#12]
The coil spring in the J Frames does keep them from having the quality of trigger pull that is possible on a K frame.  They are also too light for me to do really fine accuracy work with.

That said, I love them regardless as the size is right for starting kids out, or for potting grouse.  

I ordered a new holster for my 63- a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake.  A fella in Wasilla, Alaska makes them.  I like the looks of the design as it provides more cover for the firearm than most holsters.  I have some scratches on my old Model 66 that could have been prevented if I had a better "field" holster for it.

As for the Model 34 I see a lot more of those on the used market than I do Model 63s.  I don't know why, though.  The snubbie version of the Model 34 might be something I need for my "collection".  The price range around my neck of the woods runs 300-400 bucks for a Model 34 in very good shape.  More if you want to the whole box and papers thing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#13]
They're just too small for my hand. I can smooth the trigger out and lighten it up, but I really need oversize target type stocks to be comfortable shooting one. That sort of negates the purpose of a small gun.

I've seen quite a few of the 2" M34's up for sale, but they lose too much velocity with the short barrel, and again, I don't have any J frame carry guns so I have no real purpose for one. I'm really after a M18 as a companion to all my 4" K frames, but I cannot recall ever seeing one for sale around here. One of the guys we hunt with occasionally sets up at gun shows, and I've told him I'd like to have one. Hopefully he'll turn one up for me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I would love a Model 18 too, but I have only seen one "in the flesh".

I guess the selfish owners keep them to themselves....

Smith has offered the Model 18 as part of their "classic" line, but the price(!!).  They also have the integral lock on them.  The lock doesn't intrinsically bother me on a non-defense piece, but it sure ain't "pretty".

Like a nose ring on a pretty girl...

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#15]
My uncle has a M18 that looks brand new. I don't think he's willing to part with it though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My M63 shoots about as well from a bench as my M18 does.  Both are extremely accurate.  Haven't seen a lot of ammo sensitivity in mine.  They like match ammo better than cheap stuff.  Both shoot stingers very well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My uncle has a M18 that looks brand new. I don't think he's willing to part with it though.

You must have some tasty "trade candy" he can't resist.  

"Say....have you seen....THIS?"

I have stalked parts of a friend's gun collection for years.  He has a few guns that are mine- he just hasn't come to that realization yet.  

Spook, it was surprise that my 63 didn't like CCI brand loads.  I should get the rig scrupulously clean and try again.  It has been a while since I did my "sampling" of different loads.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must have some tasty "trade candy" he can't resist.  

"Say....have you seen....THIS?"

I have stalked parts of a friend's gun collection for years.  He has a few guns that are mine- he just hasn't come to that realization yet.  

Spook, it was surprise that my 63 didn't like CCI brand loads.  I should get the rig scrupulously clean and try again.  It has been a while since I did my "sampling" of different loads.

Nah, he doesn't shoot much any more, but doesn't part with guns very often either. AFAIK, he bought it new in the late 70's or early 80's.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:19:46 AM EDT
[#19]
My 63's pet load was CCI Velocitors until I ran them over a Crony yesterday. 1,050 fps in my 5" 63, pretty lame. CCI Blazer is just as accurate and it hits 1,050 fps as well. Remington sub sonics are accurate, but at 850 fps, I don't have much faith in them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Howdy all,

My model 63 likes most ammo I feed it, but it really likes CCI's SGB (Small Game Bullet) loading.

Not too long ago, I picked up it's cousin - a model 651 in 22 magnum - I have not shot it enough to know what it likes yet.

Hope you find what it likes.

Take care,
Bob S.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#21]
That engraved 63 = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That engraved 63 = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yeah - I think about $350.00 for it back in the 80's - you couldn't buy it from me even if you added a zero to it.

Take care,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Bob S., that is a purty Model 63.

I will add the CCI SGB bullet to my list of loads.  I haven't tried that one yet.  In fact, I never knew it existed.

It boggles belief how many different .22lr loads there are on the market.  I think I could shoot a different one each day for a year!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a 317 3" Kit Gun and it likes CCI Mini Mag hollowpoints.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top