Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 8:11:43 PM EDT
size is almost identical, but the weight is the major difference.  basically
the only size differemce is the 1/4" length on the ruger.

and for the heck of it

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the weight difference?

I've got the SP101 in 9mm.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What is the weight difference?

I've got the SP101 in 9mm.

not sure, i believe its 5 oz. but it feels like 5 pounds, really the difference feels huge in your hand and in your pocket.  Since the ruger will be my truck gun, I have no issues with the weight.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait till you fire full magnum 357 rounds through both, then you'll notice the REAL difference.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I've owned both. Still have the 340. Huge weight difference IMO. Shooting full house magnums all day was a breeze in the Ruger...not so much with the S&W, but I carry my 340 EVERYWHERE and don't even notice the weight. The Ruger is 20oz I believe vs. the 340 @ 13oz. Both are great guns and I regret selling the Ruger but I had to make a compromise and carrying 357 wasn't going to be one of them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the pictures comparing the 2 models.  If money isn't an issue, I think choosing the 340 is a no brainer.  Sure it kicks with .357 loads like a beast, but that's the compromise between the 340 and any gun that weighs 50% more.  The barrel length also makes the 340 slightly more concealable.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Thanks for the pictures comparing the 2 models.  If money isn't an issue, I think choosing the 340 is a no brainer.  Sure it kicks with .357 loads like a beast, but that's the compromise between the 340 and any gun that weighs 50% more.  The barrel length also makes the 340 slightly more concealable.

More concealable it may be, easier to carry it certainly is.  But if you don't practice with what you carry when the time comes you won't perform properly.  And who owns a 13oz .357 Magnum snubby that practices with full house .357 Magnum ammo?  And by practice I'm not talking about 50 rounds of low power 38 Special ammo then 5 of .357 once a month.  

If you don't practice with your carry ammo, or something very similar, you will NOT run it properly when the SHTF.  Snubby owners seem to think that rule doesn't apply to them.  The SP-101 makes practice with hot ammo not only possible, but fun.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 3:34:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got an MP360. It's wonderful to carry, but I found my practice routine was just about what 3rdpig describes above––very little of the full-power loads run through it. I do carry .38+p, though. Given that, I'm not really confident in my ability to perform with it should the need arise so I stopped carrying it daily and went back to an auto. I still do carry it if, because of the situation, that's all I can possibly carry––when it's either that or nothing.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

More concealable it may be, easier to carry it certainly is.  But if you don't practice with what you carry when the time comes you won't perform properly.  And who owns a 13oz .357 Magnum snubby that practices with full house .357 Magnum ammo?  And by practice I'm not talking about 50 rounds of low power 38 Special ammo then 5 of .357 once a month.  

If you don't practice with your carry ammo, or something very similar, you will NOT run it properly when the SHTF.  Snubby owners seem to think that rule doesn't apply to them.  The SP-101 makes practice with hot ammo not only possible, but fun.

That's one thing I don't understand either. You should train with what you carry. Big difference in follow up shots between .38 and .357. I carry .357 in my 340 and practice with .357. Personally, I don't like using .38 in it because it leaves that ring in the chambers. I carry my 340 IWB with a Hogue Monogrip on it which allows comfortable shooting of magnum loads.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the SP-101 with a 3in barrel,if you carry it in a holster I don't see a problem it's almost the same size and weight as a compact auto,yes you don't get as many shells in it as say a Glock 26 but you do have a controllable .357 mag that you know you can shoot with full power loads.

And I'll be honest-as much as I like the 9MM I feel a whole lot better knowing I have five full-on .357's with me and some reloads! power does make one feel secure
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top