Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2008 9:27:01 PM EDT
Well, I guess I learned my lesson here. I bought a Taurus revolver, model 605 in .357.

When I first got the firearm, I was getting ready to shoot and as I closed the cylinder, the cylinder stop broke. Luckily I caught it. Taurus sent a new stop, and I replaced the old stop, put it together and fired a box with no issues.

Now I took it out today to clean it and I noticed while dry firing that the cylinder would sometimes fail to lock. I would say 98% of the time it locks correctly, but while DA dry firing, it would sometimes spin past where it was supposed to lock and I can freely turn the cylinder quite a bit before it locks. I am not going to buy another Taurus product ever again, but I can't sell a dangerous firearm and really just need to fix this.

Aside from calling Taurus and dealing with there shitty customer service, does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this, or what the issue is? I don't have much revolver experience, but am familar with the internals since I did have to replace the cylinder stop.

Thanks.....
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I would give them a call and give them the opportunity to do whats right.  have them send a call tag to p/u the gun so you dont have to pay shipping. then see what happens.

Link Posted: 7/12/2008 11:33:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Taurus' guns don't do much for me, but when my only Taurus broke(PT-22), thier service department was aces.

Give them a chance to make it right.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure there is no buildup of gunk inside the revolvers internals. It sounds like the stop is not popping up into the cylinder notch early enough sometimes. Taurus is perhaps notorious for leaving bit of metal debris inside it's newly shipped revolvers.Either that, or it simply times way wrong which is not unheard of either.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Taurus makes some pretty nice looking guns, but I don't own any.

Get ahold of them and see what they'll do for ya.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Don’t know anything about Tauruses, but in a S&W (at least the older ones) the bolt is a fitted part (and a difficult to fit part at that!).

If Tauruses are anything like S&W’s, you really don’t have the knowledge needed to properly fit it.

Suggest you call Taurus.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#6]
dough, ment to post in a different thread, carry on...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Don’t know anything about Tauruses, but in a S&W (at least the older ones) the bolt is a fitted part (and a difficult to fit part at that!).

From what the original poster wrote, the cylinder stop is the issue, not the bolt.

The cylinder stop has to be fitted, too, but it is no rocket science. Check if the cylinder stop is moving out enough and check if it fits well into each slot in the cylinder. You can number the chambers to check that additionally.

On a S&W there is a tiny ridge on the stop that needs to be reduced to allow the stop to move out more.  If the cylinder is spun rapidly and the bolt does not engage, the momentum will bring it past the notch, so it does not need to be a timing problem.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Could it be an issue with the HAND, not bein' fit right, or the right length?

Sorry to hear you're havin problems, OP.  My Taurus is almost identical to yours, a 650.  Been flawless for close to 2,000 rnds of all kinds......guess I got lucky with a "good one".

Hopefully Taurus can make it right for ya, one way or another.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top