Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2003 10:35:45 PM EDT
A few months ago I got a .38 snubbie. I'm not a revolver shooter, the semi-autos I own are reliable. But I got to thinking it would be a good idea to have something by the bed that would fire for sure, end of story, a back-up of sorts.

Now, well, I really enjoy shooting the revolver. Which leads to my thoughts on getting another one. Keeping in mind it would still be something as back-up, but with more power than the .38 . I'd like to keep it fairly short barreled since it needs to be grab-albe quickly in the dark.
.357 mag? Does .44 spl pack power v. the .38 or just bigger caliber?
Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#1]
After that rant I thought a .357mag snubbie would suit what I was describing. I was trying to think it out too much.
But still, recommendations are welcome.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:34:46 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are not gonna try and set a record for number of magnum rounds fired, the M19 or M66 2 1/2in. or M66 3in. are very nice little handguns. To me, the 2 1/2in. barrels look more "balanced" but the 3in. version of the M66 allows for a full extractor rod stroke, and is the better gun for a fighting revolver.

The smaller frames of "K" series guns simply will not hold up as well to a great deal of shooting with full magnum loads, but are fine for what most shooters do anyway...shoot lots of .38 or .38+P and a box or two of magnums now and then. They also will have a bit more recoil due to their lighter weight. If you don't feel the need for adjustable sights, there are the fixed sight 3in. bull-barreled M13 or M65 to look at...both also excellent guns. The M13 3in. was the last FBI issue revolver and still an excellent choice when you can find a good used one.

A good shooter with good tactics and a 3in. .38+P or .357 mag. loaded revolver and a speedloader or two of spare ammo is most certainly NOT someone you want to fcuk with!
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]
You might think about a GP-100 with a 3" barrel.  It is a fixed-sight gun, but very controllable from what I understand.  A 4" gun will still be handy, probably a little more controllable, and not overly cumbersome to most people.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the insiteful options. I'll definetely get a hand feel on all that are available under the glass case at my local shops.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Also consider the muzzle flash of a .357 at night.  It is simply amazing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top