Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2003 3:34:33 PM EDT
I have a S & W Model 686 revolver and the screw in the 'switch' (can't think at the moment) to open the cylinder starts to loosen up after firing it a few times. I guess the threads are stripped: Anyone have a quick, cheap solution so I don't have to take it to a gunsmith? Is there an adhesive that binds to metal semi-permanently that I could use?

thanks!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I think loc-tite is the thing to use. I had the same problem with my model 60 and it took care of it. If you can tighten the screw on the cylinder release latch, that should be the only problem. If you think there is something wrong inside, you can remove the cylinder release and the sideplate no problem.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:23:21 AM EDT
[#2]
This "screw" is actually a "female" threaded cap which fastens to a threaded stud that is part of the cylinder latch. Take it off and degrease both the stud and the "screw" then try either clear fingernail polish, or the "lightest" Loc Tight you can find. That should do it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah it's the female part that loosens up. An employee at a  gunshop I mentioned this problem to suggest Loc Tight but I could not remember the name of it! THANKS! I'll try it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top