Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 4:34:57 AM EDT
Just acquired a 38sp +p rated 5 round snubbie.

1)
What's the deal with the stick-style ammo holders?  I realize when you're in conceal mode, its easier to conceal a stick than a speedloader, but does it have a speedloading function?

2)
I'm getting some of the Speer Gold Dot 135 for snubby's for when it matters, but what is recommended for range use?

What's the deal with lead noses?  good thing?  bad thing?

gun is stainless so the less crud and dirt to clean after range session, the better!

3)
holsters - I have ankle and bellly for when I wear a suit - but what about an IWB holster?  Anyone carry a snubbie this way?  wouldn't the cylinder protrude somewhat more than a asami-auto's slide?  

I'm rather enamored of Bladetech's ultimate concealment IWB and CompTac's CTAC  I have one of each for each gun I own.  Would these be just as good for a snubbie.  Both are avaiable for my model.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just acquired a 38sp +p rated 5 round snubbie.

1)
What's the deal with the stick-style ammo holders?  I realize when you're in conceal mode, its easier to conceal a stick than a speedloader, but does it have a speedloading function?

It's faster than funbling for loose rounds in your pockets.  But obviously not as fast as a "standard " speedloader.

2)
I'm getting some of the Speer Gold Dot 135 for snubby's for when it matters, but what is recommended for range use?

I like 148 gr wadcutters.  My wife will likely use them as a carry load (once she gets her permit) due to the low recoil and the tactical forums take on them is they are suitable for defence (as are the 135gr Speer GD).
What's the deal with lead noses?  good thing?  bad thing?  Not sure what you are asking.

gun is stainless so the less crud and dirt to clean after range session, the better!

The velocity is so low leading is a very minimal concern.  Powdder residue will be most of your clean-up job.

3)
holsters - I have ankle and bellly for when I wear a suit - but what about an IWB holster?  Anyone carry a snubbie this way?  wouldn't the cylinder protrude somewhat more than a asami-auto's slide?  

I'm rather enamored of Bladetech's ultimate concealment IWB and CompTac's CTAC  I have one of each for each gun I own.  Would these be just as good for a snubbie.  Both are avaiable for my model.

I've been using pocket carry with my S&W 642.  But the reality is: my 1911 in a good IWB holster is just as comfy if not more so than pocket carry with the 642, and a whole lot easier to deploy.  I'm looking for good sugestions in this area too.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks alot!

In terms of the lead, I've just never used lead bullets before.  I know nothing about them?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#3]
3)
holsters - I have ankle and bellly for when I wear a suit - but what about an IWB holster? Anyone carry a snubbie this way? wouldn't the cylinder protrude somewhat more than a asami-auto's slide?

-----

I carry a Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum in an Uncle Mikes "Inside the pant" strapless holster.  It is comfortable and holds the snubbie securely.  It does not "print" the cylinder or any other part (It has the bobbed hammer though)
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
3)
holsters - I have ankle and bellly for when I wear a suit - but what about an IWB holster? Anyone carry a snubbie this way? wouldn't the cylinder protrude somewhat more than a asami-auto's slide?

Not the most high-speed solution but, I carry my 442 with a set of Barami Hip grips in black. Tucks in pants or rides easily in pocket. An added bonus is that the clip portion fills in the area under trigger finger and feels very stable.

HTH

Blitz
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

In terms of the lead, I've just never used lead bullets before.  I know nothing about them?

From personal experience, I would avoid lead.  Cleaning the bore afterwards takes more time and effort due to the lead residue left behind.

I finally finished up 500 rds of lead SWC and the $$ saved (by going with lead) was not worth the extra cleaning afterwards.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:22:56 AM EDT
[#6]
1. Those are Bianchi Speed Strips. I like and use them all the time. While they are not as fast as speedloaders they fit in my pocket without discomfort or printing and they beat carrying loose rounds.

2. GDs are a good round but I use Rem Golden Sabers since that is what my M60 shoots the best with. Lead rounds are cheaper but I prefer the FMJ for practice.

3. I have used ankle and bellybands but I prefer pocket carry or OWB carry in a Desantis Thumb break Scabbard. Pocket carry is for deep concealment and OWB is more comfortable than IWB.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#7]

1)

The Bianchi Speedstrips took some practice for me to get comfortable with. More so than speedloaders.  You are only loading 2-3 rounds at a time.  I use them when I want a very low profile and/or for comfort reasons.  I find the Jetloader and SL Variant to be my favorite speedloaders for my 642 if I don't worry about the bulk

2)
What's the deal with lead noses?  good thing?  bad thing?

I think the best recommendation is to shoot different ammo until you find what YOU like.  Plain lead rounds have been shot for a LONG LONG time.  I think it's more about personal preference

3)

Here's what I've used for both my S&W 642 and my Ruger SP101:
642- Hume JIT (I like this holster and use it when belt carry is warranted)
642- Ken Null SKR (This is an awesome shoulder holster... at least for me.  I highly recommend it. Great concealment, great comfort and ease of use.
642- SmartCarry (I have never worried about 'shooting the jewels off' or any of the other so-called con's some folks mention.  Great for deep concealment when needed or when threat factor is low.
642- GALCO Sum158(Summer Special?) (This is an IWB with two belt snap-loops.  It's a very nice holster and I use it when I am wearing clothing that is comfortable with an IWB or I feel the concealment factor is better than other belt carry.
642- Uncle Mike's pocket holster (I don't use this much unless it's for a quick drop into a jacket pocket or shorts pocket to run an errand and I don't have the time to put on another holster.
642- GALCO SM158B (This is an OWB belt holster that rides a bit higher than the others.  I like it but don't use it much. )
642- Action Direct Belly Band (I use this ONLY if I need concealment of this sort. Usually the SmartCarry works better. I've modified it because I do not like the tip of the barrel poking me in the gut.)
642- Old El Paso Saddlery #88 (The holsters from this company are very well built.  This particular holster just doesn't fit me or my style, but it holds the gun very securely.  This is one I'm getting rid of.)
642- I had another IWB holster, another GALCO, with a J-Hook. I never liked the J-Hook because it didn't stay very secure during wear.
642- Uncle Mike's ankle holster (I have used this mainly to see how ankle carry would feel.  This particular holster is uncomfortable for long periods due to the velcro strap having sharp corners.  I suspect a good leather holster would feel better.  I did like ankle carry though. I'm looking at Ken Null, Tauris, and Alessi for a good ankle holster)

SP101- Bianchi Accumold (this is a belt slide style that I used when carrying the SP out in the woods.  I like it fine for that, but would not carry it for CCW due to the size of the gun.  I have a DeSantis 002-22 high-ride belt holster that I like .  The gun fits the SmartCarry but I have never worn them together.

I also have a Tommy's Gunpack fannypack that I like and the size I got works for my 642 up to my Glock 30.

I don't keep changing holsters around day-to-day.  I have a couple of main holsters for the guns I am currently using for CCW... the 642 and my Kimber .45 (I only use the VMII).
I wear the belt holsters in the same place so I'm not having to remember where the gun is no matter which gun I carry on the belt.  I have no trouble finding the gun whether it's IWB or OWB.

As for the snubbie and concealment... with the holsters I use everyday, I have no trouble concealing the gun.

REMEMBER

It's not JUST the holster that makes the gun "concealed", it's your clothing too!
Pants, shorts (even my Utilikilt), t-shirts, button-up shirts, vests, jackets and coats all play an important part in concealing my firearm and which holster I use on any given day.

p.s.  I find my Kimber in the VMII is often more concealable than any other gun I own.  It's very comfortable also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top