BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just do like I do and only buy the older pre-lock, pre-MIM stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am over it.   Sold the gun for what I paid.   Moving on.  Like I said before I highly doubt there will be any S&W’s in my future.

Just do like I do and only buy the older pre-lock, pre-MIM stuff.

That means nothing. There’s just as many canted barreled pre lock guns out there . I can’t speak for the 1960’s and older guns but over the years I’ve had plenty of Smiths from the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s with shoddy workmanship. I was a dealer for 12 years. Canted barrels, rough barrel crowns, forcing cones cut crooked, cylinder gaps like the Grand Canyon.
I had a 617 that was made in the late 80’s that Smith took back and replaced with a new one . The frame was made so out of spec that it would shoot a foot to the right at 10 yards with the sight cranked all the way over . And the barrel was on straight !
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:  That means nothing. There’s just as many canted barreled pre lock guns out there . I can’t speak for the 1960’s and older guns but over the years I’ve had plenty of Smiths from the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s with shoddy workmanship. I was a dealer for 12 years. Canted barrels, rough barrel crowns, forcing cones cut crooked, cylinder gaps like the Grand Canyon.
I had a 617 that was made in the late 80’s that Smith took back and replaced with a new one . The frame was made so out of spec that it would shoot a foot to the right at 10 yards with the sight cranked all the way over . And the barrel was on straight !
View Quote

That's impressive.  I was issued a Colt M4 that was off the paper @ 25 yds from mechanical zero.  I finally got it zeroed, b/c we put another target alongside my zero target.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It is not so much that they put out a lemon, it is that when I sent it in to be corrected they did basically nothing.   Then sent it back.  That is the major rub.  I can see how something can slip through QC, but when it is returned to the factory and then sent back and not fixing that is a major WTF.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats to bad. All companies put out lemons here and there

It is not so much that they put out a lemon, it is that when I sent it in to be corrected they did basically nothing.   Then sent it back.  That is the major rub.  I can see how something can slip through QC, but when it is returned to the factory and then sent back and not fixing that is a major WTF.  

I sent in a m19-3 in that was locked up. They couldn't fix or even diagnose the problem.

Frank Glenn fixed it in a day.

A lot of companies do the same thing. I saw a lot of unfixed guns when I was working in a gun store. ARs especially with canted fsb(if you can zero it its in spec even if the peep is cranked all the way to one side.)

They have a spec sheet and if its in spec its good enough.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I sent in a m19-3 in that was locked up. They couldn't fix or even diagnose the problem.

A lot of companies do the same thing. I saw a lot of unfixed guns when I was working in a gun store. ARs especially with canted fsb(if you can zero it its in spec even if the peep is cranked all the way to one side.)

View Quote

That’s the really sad part.  If their QC specs allow a level of barrel cant that can be easily seen with the eye then they should look at what they are doing.   That is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats to bad. All companies put out lemons here and there

I hear ya. When that happens to me (and it has happened a few times) I keep sending the gun back on their dime until it is fixed or replaced. They don't know they f'd up unless there is return data to prove it one way or the other.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That’s the really sad part.  If their QC specs allow a level of barrel cant that can be easily seen with the eye then they should look at what they are doing.   That is ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont really disagree. But its not a smith & wesson issue. Its kinda the whole industry
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I love Smith wheelies but my rule of thumb is to always examine closely before buying. And that includes lock and pre lock guns .
The three main things I closely check is barrel cant, cylinder gap, barrel crown . That’s in addition to timing, end shake, etc.
And never buy sight unseen like off the internet.
View Quote

Amen on those items. I have gotten burned on Gunbroker with guns that have those problems.  End shake was the main culprit on police trade ins.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Same thing happened to me.  I am a Ruger man now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I came close to buying one of the early three barrel sets that they offered when they were in production. I wish I had, those Dan Wesson revolvers were ahead of their time.
View Quote

@ElrodCod, The LGS has one of those DW 3 barrel sets for 1200 bucks. If I hadn't bought another S&W today I'd probably have grabbed it. Those are nice revolvers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@ElrodCod, The LGS has one of those DW 3 barrel sets for 1200 bucks. If I hadn't bought another S&W today I'd probably have grabbed it. Those are nice revolvers.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up but I’m over spent on guns for the year. I spent every cent of all the stimulus money on guns??
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top