Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2020 8:36:29 PM EDT
is it even possible to compete shooting revolver left handed?  Seems like it would slow down the reload a bit, even if you were using moon clips etc. Is this even possible?  I gather you pretty much also have to shoot an 8 shot to compete?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I started out shooting revolvers as a lefty and it can be done just as fast. Hit the latch with your left thumb then go for your reload with your left hand. Push the cylinder through with your right thumb while tipping the cylinder towards the ground as you hit the ejector with your right index finger. Turn the gun back over and put in the speed loader  if that makes sense.

I found this video and it’s close to the way I do it except when I dump the rounds my right thumb is through the frame.

Revolver Speed Load Left Hand Shorter Version
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#2]
hmmm, i see what you mean.  you would have to have awfully big hands to graps it between the top of the back strap and theend of the plunger like he does.  after putting thumb through the frame to push the cylinder it seems easier to leave it there to eject, then grab reload w/ L hand.  and depressing the release w/ L thumb makes sense since you are taking the hand off the gun anyway to grab relload.  Anway yeay, depressing the ejector rod w/ the R hand in some fashion while the left is grabbign the reload makes sense, that way you don't have to slap it w/ L hand either before or after you grab your reload.

I am pretty sure they do that revolver division shooting in this area.   Maybe i should keep the 327 rather than switching to the L frame, though I like the L frame better generally...
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a left handed Charter Arms southpaw, I have a speedloader too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CTomas:
hmmm, i see what you mean.  you would have to have awfully big hands to graps it between the top of the back strap and theend of the plunger like he does.  after putting thumb through the frame to push the cylinder it seems easier to leave it there to eject, then grab reload w/ L hand.  and depressing the release w/ L thumb makes sense since you are taking the hand off the gun anyway to grab relload.  Anway yeay, depressing the ejector rod w/ the R hand in some fashion while the left is grabbign the reload makes sense, that way you don't have to slap it w/ L hand either before or after you grab your reload. 

I am pretty sure they do that revolver division shooting in this area.   Maybe i should keep the 327 rather than switching to the L frame, though I like the L frame better generally...
View Quote

Before you buy anything, can you tell us what "that revolver division shooting in this area" really is? Is it USPSA? IDPA? ICORE? Steel Challenge? A 327 may or may not be a good choice depending on what kind of competition you want to do. For example, a 327 would not work well for IDPA. If it is the snub nose 327, it would not be too useful for any of them. If it is USPSA or Steel Challenge, you want an 8 shot for sure.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JSG:

Before you buy anything, can you tell us what "that revolver division shooting in this area" really is? Is it USPSA? IDPA? ICORE? Steel Challenge? A 327 may or may not be a good choice depending on what kind of competition you want to do. For example, a 327 would not work well for IDPA. If it is the snub nose 327, it would not be too useful for any of them. If it is USPSA or Steel Challenge, you want an 8 shot for sure.
View Quote

I have no idea.  I am glad you asked as I was about to post.  It occurs to me that I might want to consider what one I really want to shoot as there might be barrel lenght/capacity/loading device/overall dimension/sight restrictions.  

I would have interest in events that either use irons only, or where MRD is allowed.  I have a bit of a  preferce the L frame 7 shot but am open to N frame or similar Ruger if the events I would want to shot most have stages that that have over 14 or over 21 targets.  Ideal gun would be 9mm b/c the stiff auto clips and the short ball cartridges would be easier to load than .025" clips w/ 38s, and b/c 9mm is a lot chepaer than 38 afaik.   I don't htink I would compete in the even where your gun has to fit in the wood box as I am interesting in a 5+" barrel large frame revolver, hell maybe even up to 7", but probably 6" max.    Maybe I also would be open to doing that one w/ my 6 shot 3" SP101, which is what I carry IWB particulary when it is hotter as the revolver prints way less than the G17 or 19.  But the larger frame revolver is more of something I would like to do for fun as I just enjoy shooting DA revolvers a hell of a lot more for some reason.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I guess I need to call local ranges and confirm what type of evens are in the area.

ETA: I have the TRR8 327, just sort of snatched it up off local classifieds a while back.  It is pretty heavy, steel cylinder and all, heavy enough to compete with, especially if I were to put a red dot on it, but I would probably sell it to fund aquisition of an L frame if I determine I can get along w/ a 7 shot.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Sadly the 7 shot is not a good choice for USPSA, IDPA, or Steel.

For IDPA you want a 6 shot with a 3 or 4 inch barrel. Cannot be over 4". 7 and 8 shots suck because you can only load with 6 rounds. Both speed loaders and moon clips can be equally competitive. No red dot.
For USPSA a six shot 45 ACP or 10mm is not out of the questions but the vast majority of Revo shooters have an 8 shot 38/357 or an 8 shot 9mm. The barrel length will be from 4 to 6 inches. All moon clip guns for sure. If you add a red dot, you get bumped to the OPEN class. Score-wise, you would be destroyed by anyone with a correct OPEN gun.
For Steel you want those extra shots in case you have an issue. That makes an 8 shot revo much, much more desirable than a 6. Moon clips or speed loaders are irrelevant. You could use a red dot.

I have never shot ICORE because there just aren't any matches within an hour or two of my house.

EDIT: I am assuming you want to have an opportunity to be competitive in any of these groups. You could shoot a 7 shot 686 or Ruger in all three but you would be fighting distinct disadvantages.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks m8!  

I see.  

I found this:
https://revolverguy.com/competition-101-idpa-with-revolvers/  The IDPA matches seem the most interesting and the most practical.  

It goes into the difference b/t SSR & ESR.  Either bbl limit is 6 rds.  Either require you to use the chambering listed on the revolver, w/ the exception that you can use 38 spc in a 357 gun etc.  Point is, no 9mm revolvers unless they came from factory that way.   I see that in SSR, you cannot use a

This makes me want to get a 3" or 4" kimber or Colt king cobra and shoot in SSR as these guns are between J & K frame size frame & cylinders, and a guy has more latitude in the grip.   That is to say that either are guns that I could and would actually carry, I often carry a 3" ruger SP101 right now, so basically the same size gun.  I see that in SSR 32 cal is not allowed, so I could not use my 327 mag SP101 . I also see that 9mm is not allowed, and moon clips are not allowed. , that seems gay af as either would be fantastic carry guns w/ 9mm moonclips, making reloading IRL practical w/ 6 heavily chamfered cylinders.   In ESR 9mm may be allowed, not sure if that counts as ("38 or larger?") but looking at my spreadsheets I see that it wouldbe hard to make the min 155 pf requirement w/ a 4" bbl in 9mm chambering anway.  Dunno, maybe w/ nato ammo, I don't have any MV data on 9mm.  In ESR revolvers can weight up to 50oz, it would be hard to compete agains L frames and GPs w/ a 25-28 oz Kimber or Colt...tho the 4" king cobra I see is 36 oz...  pretty heavy for EDC tbh.  

I am not sure about that reloading method discussd above but w/ Colt or Ruger style cylinder releases??  Any imput.  I do not have a ruger on hand currently to test.

The Dan wesson 357s, they are more like L or N frames in size right?  Of course, the cylinder on the DW, I am not sure if that would be competitive for a Lefty...

Damn, they even have strange rules about grip style in IDPA.

Is USPSA as fun or practical as IDPA?  Are the courses creative w/ different scenarios etc or just standing stand and shoot at things??  Can a guy shoot a converted chamber revolver in USPSA?  The one w/o the red dot sight seems interesting w/ 9mm full moons.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Dan Wesson is between K and L frame in size, and uses K-frame speed loaders.  You would have to reach over the top of the frame with your right hand, but that could be done in a way that sets you up to push the cylinder open and hit the ejector rod with your right hand while you reach for a speed loaders with your left hand.  I've never really tried it that way, you've given me something new to experiment with on my next range trip!
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I am left handed .
When empty I use my left thumb to hit the push button on S&W , push cyilinder out with right thumb and support the gun with my right thumb , hit the eject rod with my right forefinger .
Then manipulate the speedloader with left hand , close cylinder.

If you look at a single action 1873 , it almost seem designed for lefties .
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#10]
"Is USPSA as fun or practical as IDPA?"

Oh dear God you have started it now. Some people get very butt-hurt over fighting about USPSA and IDPA. In my case, I could not care less. They are both games. They are both fun. They have different rules. Shoot both and decide what you like.

To give you an idea...
IDPA - fewer targets per stage, most shot will be 7 to 15 yards, lower round counts per stage (and match), less movement, more detailed/nitpicky rules controling how each stage is shot.
USPSA - up to 36 targets per stage, maybe challenging steel contraptions (polish plate rack, texas star, etc), normally lots more movement, rules for how to shoot a stage are usually only safety related other than the start position, and everyone knows its a game and treats it like a game all the time.

For example, at out my local club a USPSA match will require 150 to 200 rounds min and there will be multiple 30+ round count stages (out of 6 to 8 stages), and there will be lots of movement required on many stages. In a typical IDPA match, there will be 2 of 7 stages with more than 5 steps of movement, no stage will require more than 18 shots, the match will likely be about 100 rounds if you shoot no makeup shots,

Steel is the simplest of the bunch. You will have 5 plates of varying sizes and locations per stage. You will shoot the stage 5 times and the slowest of the 5 will be thrown out. No reloading on the clock required. Rarely you will move 5 feet on a stage but the vast majority of the time you do not move your feet. As you can imagine, transition times and requiring no make-up shots are everything when it comes to getting a good score. Drawing from a holster also matters for the centerfire guns but it is a distant 3rd in importance to the other 2 items I listed.

Shoot everything and see what you like. Heck Steel is as much fun with a .22 Buckmark or .22 617 as it is with a 9mm M&P or 627.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for posting this.

I am left handed, but not a competitive shooter. I am always looking for more efficient ways to perform tasks.

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks jsg.  I am sort of getting an idea of whats out there.

I see that ruger came out w/ a 10mm GP100 6 shot 4.25".  Performance match too, fwiw.  This would seem to be the ideal gun for ESR as you can use heavily beveled cylinders with full moon clips and shooting 40 sw is allowed, similar to shooting 44 special in a 44 mag etc, and plenty of 40 cal ammo can make the min 155 power factor.  I mean it would be about like shooting & loading a 45 cal 625 but with cheaper ammo and that it is with an L frame size gun rather than an N frame.  SW also has a 6 shot  best mm 4", but it is an N frame.  

But tbh, I dont think I would carry a 4" 37 oz gun.  a 2.5 or 3" w/ J frame or Detective size cylinder is perfect for IWB and actual concealability. I note that the colt king cobra target 36 oz.  That gun has a smaller cylinder diameter and lower bore axis, being patterened after the detective cylnder, but w/ a beefier and all steel frame.    But it doesn't come in an auto cambering w/ moon clips, and at most could accomidate 9mm bore, so it will never be leagal in SSR or ESR unless rules are amended to allow 9mm &/or converted guns.  And I have no idea about if that reload technique discussed would work w/ a colt style release.  I am sure the ruger type push button would work, if very slighty differently.  

A 3" kimber or Colt King Cobra w/ 9mm full moons would be a hell of a compelling carry gun though, cylinder almost size of J frame, though /w the beefy frame of the Colt making its overall foot print similar to a K frame.  Especially the kimber in 9mm.  Be a perfect balance of weight & power and wiht practical reload capability.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like in USPSA there are two divisions, major and minor, major, 165 pf, forces you to reload after 6 rds, so best would be an auto chambered 45, 40 or 10mm, though you could run a 6 shot 357.  

minor power which allows up to 8 shots before forcced reloading.best gun there would be 9mm, followed by 38s w/ ball ammo in .025" moon clips.  Not sure of shorter cases are allowed.

no restrictions on gun size/weight.  

no optics, ports, comps, lights attached.  apparently grips w/ thumbrests are illegal.  unclear. Some rules about holsters, reload gear etc.

I'll bet thats fun.  Not sure if there are many people who do this in any area tho.  need call the two rangers arhoud there that host matches.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#14]
In USPSA the 9mm S&W and the 627 dominate stock revolvers. For the 627, everyone reloads 38 Short Colt or maybe 38 Long Colt. If shooting major (no one does anymore), the 625 dominates. Moon clips with 6 short, fat 45 ACP cartridges just fall into the chamber.

No matter what game you play with a revolver, unless its ICORE, most shooters look at you like you're a space alien. I have shot with a number of younger guys who have never even shot a revolver. They are super surprised when I easily finish in the top 50% overall at State and Regional matches.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:21:29 AM EDT
[#15]
how thick are 9mm, 40 or 45 moon clips typically?

I have to tell you, the more I think about it the more it irritates me that idpa bans 327 mag & 9mm revolvers.  As if 9mm revolvers have not been a thing for decades and decades, and as if 327 is not over 10 years old and easily meets 105 pf minimum.  It is supposed to be for shooting guns that you actually carry, but you can't shoot guns that you actually carry.  I mean if they want to insist that 9mm guns have to use speedloader to do the reload in the stage then fine, but still.  And seriously how in the hell can they justify barring 327 fed mag guns??  Fed 85 g Hydrashok/Am Eagle is ~1385 from SP101, thats a PF of 117.  

I mean, I really dont care about being competitive, could I just take a moon clipped auto cal revolver that fits in the box, or my 327 fed SP101 and run the course in some sort of division against autos and whatever?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#16]
If you are shooting a local match, the Match Director will likely let you shoot about anything in the Not For Competition class.

Just a bit of history... IDPA used to have the PF min for all Revolver at 125. Everyone used to shoot a 44 ounce 625 loaded down to something that shot about 130 PF. When the 38 guys cried too much, they changed it to 155 PF for moon clip guns. Once they did that, people started shooting 38's again and it was learned that lots of old Mod 10/15 revos could not get more than 110 PF when shooting Winchester White box and other off the shelf ammo so the PF was lowered to 105.

That (and the fact there are so few) is why your 327 has never been considered and why 9mm is up at 155 PF.

Bluntly, neither IDPA or USPSA care much about any revolver complaints. The overall percentage of revolver shooters is so low, both organizations would likely not care if revo was dropped completely. I am lucky that my local Match Director knows there is always at least a few guys shooting revo or bug so he tries to keep the target arrays to 6 shots or less per position on the majority of stages. Nothing is more frustrating than a 13 shot stage or a 7 shot position for a revo/bug guy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I see, thanks for the info.  I am glad they created the 38 division as who really is gonna carry an all steel 625 in real life.  

I am not sure what I will do if I am likely to be able to shoot whatever at the local level in a non-competitive fashion.  That Kimber 3" is compelling, but more as a 38 daily carry gun to shoot 38+p whatever factory ammo will reliably penetrate and expand from 3" barrel, or maybe loaded w/ 357 innawoods.  I am not sure what that is.  Last time I looked into it I concluded that a BB wad cutter load was best for the J frames due to 38 having marginal velocity to cause expansion reliably through not so much for 357s.  For 357 shooting King Cobra or maybe a GP100 is more compelling tbh
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Rocklock:
I am left handed .
When empty I use my left thumb to hit the push button on S&W , push cyilinder out with right thumb and support the gun with my right thumb , hit the eject rod with my right forefinger .
Then manipulate the speedloader with left hand , close cylinder. 

If you look at a single action 1873 , it almost seem designed for lefties .
View Quote

I do the same except I use the knuckle on my trigger finger to hit the cylinder release.  I also have stubby, sausage fingers & don't have any problems hitting the ejector with my right forefinger.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I am a righty so I am not going to be much help with the lefty reload.  That said I have been shooting USPSA and IDPA Revolver divisions for the past 12+ years.

Revolver shooters in either sport are red-headed step children.  But if you're the right personality type that is all the more reason do compete in the division.  IMHO nothing is more satisfying than beating the bottom-feeders with the noble round-gun.

I have certainly shot more USPSA than IDPA but enjoy both sports.  USPSA is very much a sport that spun out of practical training, but it has made practicality a distant secondary priority behind making a very competition oriented sport.  Stages are bigger, both in size and round count (USPSA 32 rd max required vs 18 rd max required IDPA), and require more movement and more difficult shots (in some situations).  IDPA tries to strike a balance between practicality and sport but again it is still a sport.

Due to the USPSA scoring system (Hit-Factor: basically points-per-second) speed has a very large influence on your score.  In USPSA you in theory can shoot Charlies fast enough to win.  In IDPA's scoring system (Time Plus: with bad hits adding 1 sec per point down) accuracy is much more important. You CANNOT shoot +1 hits (IDPA's equivalent to a USPSA Charlie) fast enough to win.

Both sports only have one Revolver division:

In 2014 USPSA changed their Revolver division rules allowing 7 and 8-shot revolver to play. There is Minor and Major scoring in the Revolver division but they compete together in one division.  Major is a 165 PF and must reload after 6-shots.  Minor is 125 PF and allows you to fire up to 8-shoots before a reload.  If you shoot a 7 or 8-shot revolver you are score Minor even if you make Major power factor.  As other have indicated the 8-shot Minor revolver dominats the sport now. Before the rule change in was 85% 625/45ACP, 10% 610/40S&W, and the balance various 38/357 etc.  Now the sport is dominated by the 929/9mm (and we'll see how much the new Super GP100 in 9mm moves in) with the 627/327/R8 using 38 Short Colt a fading distant second.  The 6-shot revolvers are way down there and speed-loader fed revolver even further down.  Very few competitor use speed-loaders.

IDPA use to have two Revolver division SSR and ESR.  In 2017 (IIRC) the divisions were combined into one, Revolver.  If you shoot a moonclip fed revolver you have to make a 155 PF if you shoot a speed-loader fed revolver you only need to make a 105 PF.  7 and 8-shot revolvers are not allowed in IDPA 6-shooters only.  Due to the low Power Factor, emphasis on accuracy over speed and low number of reloads the speed-loader fed 38 Special revolver seems to be the preferred choice but its not as clear cut as in USPSA.

My USPSA setup:

S&W 627, Blade-tech Holster, North Mounting moonclip server, Revolver Supply moonclips, 38 Short Colt

My IDPA setup:

S&W Model 10 Heavy Barrel, Safariland 567 Holster, Safariland Comp III speed-loaders, Master-Tac Speed-loader pouches.

-rambling

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top