Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2005 3:13:20 AM EDT
My only .22 lr handgun to date has been a MK-II. I wanted to be able to shoot Colibris and shorts so i got a blued 4" 17-5. It matches my blued 586 perfectly. Uses the same holsters and has a very similiar trigger pull. Haven't shot it yet but I think it's going to be a winner.
Probably not as accurate as the MKII, but more versatile.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 4:22:45 AM EDT
[#1]
It will surprise you in the accuracy department.  Many of the .22 revolvers are more accurate than the semi's.

Good find.

Shooter
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 4:39:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It will surprise you in the accuracy department.  Many of the .22 revolvers are more accurate than the semi's.

Good find.

Shooter

I hope so!  It has the target hammer (swept back) and the smooth trigger. Can any of you kind S&W freaks look up the born on date in your collectors book for me? SN AVN 097#
I'd like to know if its an early post WWII gun. Its a shooter, but if its an early one I may take a little better care of it.
thanks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Are there any dashes after the 17 on the inside of the frame?

That looks like a GREAT condition weapon.  I see there are a few ways to date them

1.  There is a book for like $7
2.  S&W can (for $30) give you a letter with all known info

I am looking for others

shooter
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:59:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, there is a dash. Its stamped 17-5.

Quoted:
Are there any dashes after the 17 on the inside of the frame?

That looks like a GREAT condition weapon.  I see there are a few ways to date them

1.  There is a book for like $7
2.  S&W can (for $30) give you a letter with all known info

I am looking for others

shooter

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I was able to get to the range last night and put 500 rds (carton) of Rem. through this thing.
All I can say is that I have a new favorite. It may even usurp the MKII.
I love a smooth wheelgun and this one is a real pleasure to shoot.
Easy clean up with a boresnake and some gun scrubber. Sure beats cleaning my MKII!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]
17-5 and AVN serial prefix will make it a fairly recent gun, certainly not early post war.  My book is "hiding" right at the moment.  Mid nineties most likely.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:21:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Found my book.  1988.  The 17-5 was the last variant before Smith went to the full lug barrel.  Only in production for a year or two.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top