Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2018 7:45:41 PM EDT
Hello,

I have a 4" blued Speed Six that is my favorite revolver. I got a great deal on it, and while the blue has some holster wear it has minimal putting or rust. However, I have been wanting a stainless version for years, and they are $ and hard to come across.

I don't need another gun. So, I am considering sending the one I have to be coated. I want a satin, minimal maintenance finish. This revolver goes with me hunting and around the ranch.

I know Robar is the big name. Are there any other shops you would recommend?

And what particular finish would you choose?

Thank you
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Robar’s NP3 has got to be the Cadilac of finishes.  Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Hard chrome plating by Metaloy
Did a custom National Match for me 30 yrs ago...still solid as can b be.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#3]
The hard chrome will look similar to stainless.

The stainless guns are nice.  I have a couple.  The 2&3/4" .357 was my fishing gun for years.  Carried it in the high chest zipper pocket on the bib overalls I wore to wade the rivers while bass fishing.  Got it wet, got it submerged, came home, unloaded it, detail stripped it (so easy with that design), set it in the oven with a temp. of 200 F and took a shower.  Came out of the shower, pulled the cookie sheet/speed six out of the oven to cool and got dressed for work.  Wiped the parts off with an oily cloth, squirted/dripped some lube they don't make anymore (really slick stuff, too) on the moving parts, put it together, loaded it up and put it in my right front pocket and left to go to work.

It is the only loaded revolver in the house these days.  Six 125 grain hollow points with 2 HKS speed loaders beside it on the shelf.

Yours is already broke in, getting it coated/protected will keep it looking good, protect it and make it a better rough use carry gun.

I bobbed the hammer a couple days after I bought it (1983) to keep it from hanging up when pulling it from my pants pocket or duty coat pocket (winter time back up gun).

Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a member here that has a hard chromed 3.5" 5screw pre 27 and it is awesome
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a member here that has a hard chromed 3.5" 5screw pre 27 and it is awesome
View Quote
Found him
@Warhawk
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies, guys

Sounds like brushed hard chrome from a good shop will be good and not quite as spendy as Robar.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The hard chrome will look similar to stainless.

The stainless guns are nice.  I have a couple.  The 2&3/4" .357 was my fishing gun for years.  Carried it in the high chest zipper pocket on the bib overalls I wore to wade the rivers while bass fishing.  Got it wet, got it submerged, came home, unloaded it, detail stripped it (so easy with that design), set it in the oven with a temp. of 200 F and took a shower.  Came out of the shower, pulled the cookie sheet/speed six out of the oven to cool and got dressed for work.  Wiped the parts off with an oily cloth, squirted/dripped some lube they don't make anymore (really slick stuff, too) on the moving parts, put it together, loaded it up and put it in my right front pocket and left to go to work.

It is the only loaded revolver in the house these days.  Six 125 grain hollow points with 2 HKS speed loaders beside it on the shelf.

Yours is already broke in, getting it coated/protected will keep it looking good, protect it and make it a better rough use carry gun.

I bobbed the hammer a couple days after I bought it (1983) to keep it from hanging up when pulling it from my pants pocket or duty coat pocket (winter time back up gun).

https://i.imgur.com/5dueYVil.jpg?1
View Quote
I do love the shorter barrel Speeds as well. I don't see myself carrying it concealed often, or I'd consider a shortened barrel.

Before I got the Speed I had a near perfect Service Six 4", and while I liked that revolver it just did not feel as perfect in my hand as the Speed. I wish I'd have held on to it, though
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Found him
@Warhawk
View Quote
Is this what you’re looking for?

Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found him
@Warhawk
Is this what you’re looking for?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33552/A316ECAE-2142-4448-B76A-54E60822B6A9-574158.jpg
Hell yes that thing is awesome
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, It’s a 3 1/2” Pre 27, made in 1955. It’s got the full target package, hammer, trigger, and sights. It was chromed by a previous owner. The grips are elk stag.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks, It’s a 3 1/2” Pre 27, made in 1955. It’s got the full target package, hammer, trigger, and sights. It was chromed by a previous owner. The grips are elk stag.
View Quote
That is a beaut! Stag grips on stainless/chrome revolvers look great.

'Before' pic of my Speed:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/276591/PSX_20181218_092629_jpg-776451.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please update when you get it done
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I live in PA and I think that there is still a place called Metal Life does a real nice hard chrome finish , it looks just like a stainless , I had a few done was around 150 to 175 back when . It lasts forever . looks great . I don`t know the price now . I think Ron Mahoaney was the name Metal Life , They did alot of Mag na Port guns also .
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#14]
NP3 would be a very cool finish!
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's a beautiful revolver.  I'm looking  forward to seeing it done.  I like the used look that you got going on here but I understand the desire to make it look better with a more durable finish to keep it from rusting.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I had Robar do NP3 on a custom MKIII BHP. Finish is great. The OEM polycoat hid some finish imperfections that I wish they had either addressed or called out before coating so, just be aware if you are not paying for them to do additional metal prep. About 10yrs ago, it ran me about $300 for pistol and three mags.

I'm carrying a 3" GP100 that I bough used recently for ~$500. The old Speed/Service series guns are getting hard to find parts for. Unless it is something sentimental, you'd probably come out ahead to sell your pistol and buy Stainless or think about the current production GP's.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 12:13:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Buy a second gun, once you coat it you will miss that original faded blue finish!
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I live in PA and I think that there is still a place called Metal Life does a real nice hard chrome finish , it looks just like a stainless , I had a few done was around 150 to 175 back when . It lasts forever . looks great . I don`t know the price now . I think Ron Mahoaney was the name Metal Life , They did alot of Mag na Port guns also .
View Quote
It’s Ron Mahovsky.  I have no idea who plated this one, but it’s a pre model 27 (bottom gun) that’s been hard chromed (by a previous owner). I love it.

I’ve also been told that the original S&W Mountain “Revolver”, like my 629-2 are stainless that is hard chromed.  It certainly looks different than any of my other stainless guns.

Link Posted: 1/15/2019 6:28:37 AM EDT
[#19]
It took Ron around 30 days to finish any thing I sent him and it looks great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top