Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2016 7:40:37 PM EDT
So help a brother out, ... it's an upcoming Christmas gift.  Looking at two Ruger .44 mag models:

the 5.5" 5004 model, and the 4.2" 5026.

Uses would be for some big-bore range fun/target shooting with reloads, and occasionally as a hiking companion out in the deep woods and boonies.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
You really can't go wrong with either option.  

The longer barrel/wood grips would be a ton of fun at the range, the Hogue/short barrel might be a little more squirrely at the range but it would carry better if you plan to carry it as the woods companion much.

Personally, if I was planning on carrying it much at all, I would go for the shorter barrel and Hogue grips.  Will make it much more comfortable as a woods companion.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought the Redhawk 4.2" as a Christmas present to myself last year.

Smiles every time I shoot it at the range.  For what it's worth, I bought a set of Eagle rosewood grips for it and ended up putting the Hogues back on it.  I also bought a set of Gary Reeder gold bead front and V-rear sights for it.  Those are staying on it as they really help with speedy sight acquisition.

Buffalo Bore Heavy 305 grain loads are GTG in the Redhawk and don't have an excessive amount of recoil (IHMHO).  I'd go with this one again.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:57:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Both would be great.  I'd go with the 4" since you might be hiking with it.  Just my opinion right now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Get the 4"

You will thank us later.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:48:07 AM EDT
[#5]
A 4" barrel on a revolver is perfection.  Anything longer than that is role specific in my book.

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 4:00:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a S&W 629 V-Comp that is just the sweetest .44 magnum handgun I've ever shot, it is awesome but it's not designed to shoot anything hotter than your basic .44 magnum ammo.  Now even standard .44 mag ammo is quite a handful but I still like shooting the hotter stuff occasionally.  I looked at all kinds of different guns and I am sold on the Ruger Redhawk #5026 4.2".  Not only will it handle anything you want to shoot I think it looks pretty badazz.  It's definitely the gun I will buy when I have the $$$ to afford it.  Great size for "woods carry" too in the right holster.  That's my pick!!!!  I'm jealous, I want one.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A 4" barrel on a revolver is perfection.  Anything longer than that is role specific in my book.
View Quote

Yes, I'm looking at one or the other for versatility, not specificity. So the 4.2" appears to be the best choice.

Truthfully, before narrowing it to the two above, I did "peek" at the specs on Ruger's 7" RedHawk. But since I just don't see handgun hunting or purely hardcast target shooting as my uses, I discarded it. Probably too much wheelgun for me anyway, as I'm basically an auto guy.

Thanks for all the replies, folks
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Bought a 5.5" SS Redhawk years ago before they made a 4" factory one. Had mine cut to 4" and fully worked over by an expert back then and it's been one of my all time favorite handguns since. Perfect for plinking and carrying in the backwoods with ammo that'd take a S&W apart. Go with the 4" Redhawk, it'll be your best friend for life.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bought the Redhawk 4.2" as a Christmas present to myself last year.

Smiles every time I shoot it at the range.  For what it's worth, I bought a set of Eagle rosewood grips for it and ended up putting the Hogues back on it.  I also bought a set of Gary Reeder gold bead front and V-rear sights for it.  Those are staying on it as they really help with speedy sight acquisition.

Buffalo Bore Heavy 305 grain loads are GTG in the Redhawk and don't have an excessive amount of recoil (IHMHO).  I'd go with this one again.
View Quote

Pics and link for sights?

I also put a set of eagle rosewood grips on my 4" .45 rh and love them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bought a 5.5" SS Redhawk years ago before they made a 4" factory one. Had mine cut to 4" and fully worked over by an expert back then and it's been one of my all time favorite handguns since. Perfect for plinking and carrying in the backwoods with ammo that'd take a S&W apart. Go with the 4" Redhawk, it'll be your best friend for life.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92852/DSCF4379-zps16e682d0-106458.JPG
View Quote

Awesome! Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I really enjoy my 5.5"   After all it's not my daily carry piece.  Especially after I removed the liability stamp.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I really enjoy my 5.5"   After all it's not my daily carry piece.  Especially after I removed the liability stamp.
View Quote

That's a beautiful piece, Joe. Looks well-balanced. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

My favorite 44 mag blaster--
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm pretty happy with my 5.5 Redhawk. I pack it in a chest rig in the woods, but it rides alright for a few hours in a hip holster. After about four hours of it on your hip, you're ready to remove it.
Crappy potato pic from way back in 03.
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top