Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2015 4:43:33 PM EDT
I didn't want to stray off topic in the Smith PC thread so figure start my own....I have been on the lookout for a Dan Wesson pistol pack in 44 but I never see a complete kit.... A couple of questions could you buy a base DW pistol then add barrels later on? Are the barrels all interchangeable or are the barrels that come with that pistol pack just for that specific revolver?

The hammer seems to sit low to me as well if you hold high on the backstrap do you run the risk of the hammer gouging your webbing between thumb and trigger finger?

Finally as compared to a Smith PC how is the trigger? I have Ruger SBH's and S&W's as well as a Raging Bull in 44mag would the DW be a worthy addition to the safe? I like the look of the Dan Wesson stainless vent ribbed barrels...if something breaks are they easily repairable or hard to find parts for since no longer made?

Thanks all
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless CZ-USA, who now own Dan Wesson has changed something, all DW barrels and shrouds are interchangeable within the caliber and frame size.

Dan Wesson's big selling point was that you could buy a DW revolver then install any barrel length you wanted.
The barrels in the pistol packs were not individually fitted, and since the barrel is actually fitted by the owner screwing it in and using a supplied feeler gage to set the barrel-cylinder gap, there is no fitting.

The hammers don't seem to be an issue for most people, but that depends on your hand and how you hold the gun.

The Dan Wesson is not noted for having a great trigger out of the box.  
They can be improved by installing a lighter spring kit.  The trigger return spring will lighten the pull, but while a lighter mainspring will also lighten the pull, the hammer drop, or "lock time" will be even slower.
A spring kit will not actually improve things like over travel or rough action, just make whatever it has lighter.
Of course a good gunsmith can actually improve the trigger.  I don't know if the current CS-USA-Dan Wesson offer custom gunsmithing, but they do for their CZ automatics.
Check with them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you Sir great info and exactly what I was looking for many thanks..I guess I will buy the gun then start adding to it I appreciate the help....
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless CZ-USA, who now own Dan Wesson has changed something, all DW barrels and shrouds are interchangeable within the caliber and frame size.

Dan Wesson's big selling point was that you could buy a DW revolver then install any barrel length you wanted.
The barrels in the pistol packs were not individually fitted, and since the barrel is actually fitted by the owner screwing it in and using a supplied feeler gage to set the barrel-cylinder gap, there is no fitting.

The hammers don't seem to be an issue for most people, but that depends on your hand and how you hold the gun.

The Dan Wesson is not noted for having a great trigger out of the box.  
They can be improved by installing a lighter spring kit.  The trigger return spring will lighten the pull, but while a lighter mainspring will also lighten the pull, the hammer drop, or "lock time" will be even slower.
A spring kit will not actually improve things like over travel or rough action, just make whatever it has lighter.
Of course a good gunsmith can actually improve the trigger.  I don't know if the current CS-USA-Dan Wesson offer custom gunsmithing, but they do for their CZ automatics.
Check with them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Extra barrels are expensive these days.  They sell for over $200 so a lot of folks will buy a pistol pack and then sell off the barrels.

D/A trigger is not nearly as nice as a Smith, S/A is generally a bit better.  Tensioned barrel tends to make them pretty accurate.  There is a reason they were the darlings of the metallic silhouette guys.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:44:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top