Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2011 6:01:55 AM EDT
I have always wanted a 625 and I have an opportunity for a NIB 625JM at a good price. I have found some reviews on the internet but none are recent. I expect to use it as a range gun and maybe for IDPA here and there.

1) What is recoil like compared to a 5" steel 1911? I notice they weigh about the same but there is no slide to absorb recoil in the 625.
2) I would assume it is like any other N frame for grip and size. I have a 629 hunter from the early 90's so I assume it would be the same in grip and balance.
3) I have read that many do not like the sharp trigger on the JM. Other than that, is there any other common complaints for that model?
4) On the reviews I found, there was a consistent comment that 2.5 to 3 inch acurracy at 25 yards was what to expect. Is this what others have found? I would expect 1" or less at 25 yards bagged for any new S&W with quality ammo. I expect it would never see anything but my handloads in it's lifetime.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have always wanted a 625 and I have an opportunity for a NIB 625JM at a good price. I have found some reviews on the internet but none are recent. I expect to use it as a range gun and maybe for IDPA here and there.

1) What is recoil like compared to a 5" steel 1911? I notice they weigh about the same but there is no slide to absorb recoil in the 625.
2) I would assume it is like any other N frame for grip and size. I have a 629 hunter from the early 90's so I assume it would be the same in grip and balance.
3) I have read that many do not like the sharp trigger on the JM. Other than that, is there any other common complaints for that model?
4) On the reviews I found, there was a consistent comment that 2.5 to 3 inch acurracy at 25 yards was what to expect. Is this what others have found? I would expect 1" or less at 25 yards bagged for any new S&W with quality ammo. I expect it would never see anything but my handloads in it's lifetime.

I've owned my 625jm for a couple of years and use it regularly in local IDPA matches and an occasional ICORE match.
1) I'd say the recoil is slightly less then my 1911 (Kimber Match II). It's certainly managable.
2) I haven't shot a 629 but I find it similar to my 627.
3) I like the trigger as is. YMMV
4) Mine is very accurate (as are all my S&W's). I only feed it hand-loads loaded to IDPA Power Factor

I've made two modifications. I replace the stocks with square butt because I prefer the larger grip area.
I installed a lighter main and trigger return spring to lighten the trigger a little.

Over all my 625jm is a excellent gun and I'd have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:34:31 AM EDT
[#2]
My experience is similar to Rrock. My 625JM and 625PC are both very accurate. The serrated trigger of the JM did require a little attention with very fine sand paper to dull the sharp edges of the serrations. I did play with the springs and smooth the internals just a bit. It has a very nice trigger. I don’t care for Jerry’s grips and have played with Pachmayr and Hogue grips. I also put a black serrated ramp front sight in and installed a longer firing pin so I can use .45 ACP without clips for range work. Recoil seems pretty comparable to a steel 1911.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input. I think I am going to have to get either the JM or PC version next time I see one at a good price.

I love the idea of firing 45 ACP and not loosing one piece of brass.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been wanting to get a 625 for awhile.  I am not too fond of the grips as they're a bit too slippery for my tastes and thinking some plain black Hogues would do it perfect on grip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top