Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2002 7:51:21 AM EDT
i was looking at the ruger p97d, it's fairly inexpensive and some friends tell me it is also accurate, i'll have to shoot it my self. is this a good choice for the price. anyone have any experience with it?
sorry for posting twice. i guess i should have posted here first.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a KP95DC, the 9mm version. If you have read my other post, you know I have a problem with it jamming. I know I'll get that problem taken care of. Other than that, I like the gun. Fit and finish are good and accuracy is excellent. I shot an inch and a half 9 shot group with it at about 20 yards. The tenth was a flyer and I didn't count it because just as I went to fire, I got popped with a piece of hot brass out of my dad's .45 Springfield.

I also have a Ruger Super Blackhawk and love it. I think Ruger's guns are great for the price.

A word of advice if you do decide on the P97, get a Houge handall grip. With no checkering on the polymer grip, the gun can be hard to control it your hand sweats.

Link Posted: 8/15/2002 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]
out-a-ammo
i went the cheap way and bought a new in the box ruger p97d .45 acp. i shot 200 rounds of crappy magtech ammo(Brazilian)as fast as i could load the magazines and as fast as i could pull the trigger and not one single jam or malfunction. when i took aim, i hit everything i shot at. this gun is very very accurate. i am really pleased. if yours is new send it back, they have a life time guarantee on their guns. my next .45 will probably be a Glock, and then a model 1911a1 colt. but this ruger is great and i couldn't ask for a better handgun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one.  I think I paid $329 for it.  I really like it and have had no problems.  Good quality gun at a good price.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#4]
damn, i guess i got ripped, i paid $389.00 for mine. oh well, thats life in florida.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#5]
boy was i stupid as hell. after i shot the 200 rounds  and cleaned the gun, the next day i took it out and the extractor would not pull any round out of the f**kin' chamber and the next round would get jammed against the empty round still in the chamber. this gun worked so nice the first day, then, crapola. well i brought it back to where i bought it, and i told the guy i purchased it from(who happens to be a guy i have known for 25 years)and he said it's the first one anyone brought back, no one has ever had any problems with that model. well he took it back and let me pick out another gun so i chose a new in the box M1991A1 colt. this gun seems to be real reliable and accurate to. oh well, live and learn.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#6]
i use to have the kp97dc, recently sold it

it did shoot accurate and reliably, but there a couple of features that bugged me more and more as i became a more experienced pistol shooter.  

for 1) i wish it had a 2-stage hammer like beretta uses, the hammer pull is pretty heavy.

and 2) it really needs steel rail inserts.  the slide has more friction on the polymer and you could never replace them obviously, as it is all 1 piece w/ frame

if you get one, i'd put a hogue sleeve grip on it, it makes a nice, comfortable, recoil reducing difference

it is a ruger, which are inherently reliable and backed up w/ possibly the best customer service.  but the longer i'm in the gun hobby, the more sophisticated i like my guns
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top